Options

[STEAM] Summer Sale is in full swing. Current Contests now featured in OP (λ)

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I keep seeing people with these Eschalon games. are they really that good?

I also need to know this

They are really good but just be aware, since you build your character completely, there's a very good chance you may build him poorly and end up not being able to advance. It's fun, but pretty unforgiving. It seems a lot like a single player Ultima Online.

Yeah, it's got a real Ultima/Fallout kind of vibe. The world will kick you in the balls and laugh at you. In the starting area. Then do a little dance and kick you in the teeth while you are laying on the ground, curled up and moaning. Currently my character is trapped in a beginner dungeon. He's running out of torches. He caught some kinda funk disease from looting a skeleton so he don't feel none too good right now. He's out of healing potions. He's currently planning on trying to rest up enough so he can claw his way back to the surface and sneak back to town, objective unattained. Maybe he can get some help with his disease but really, people don't seem to give a shit one way or the other about him. Then, if I can get healthy, rearm and maybe equip something decent by selling some of the stuff I've found, I'll go back and see if I can get what I went down for in the first place. Let me reiterate; This is the area you start out in. No tutorial, just a swift kick in the balls. I'm really enjoying it, but then I'm a masochist. If this kind of stat driven, turn based, isometric blanket party sounds like your kind of thing, you'll probably have a blast too.

Oh you fucker, you sold me.

Atom Zombie Smasher is fun for a few days. Worth $3.

King's Bounty is awesome. Worth much more. I'm buying the pack for the expansion to Armored Princess + the other one.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    These threads pass by so quick I don't know if the people who gift me ever see my thank yous.

So once again thank you to Figment and Tanrar for enriching my life with the Newell.

Shade on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Fuga wrote: »
    How is GTA4s perfomance on the pc after the patches? Do I still need a really really good computer to run it?

Yes.

It's still an incredibly sloppy console port.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I keep seeing people with these Eschalon games. are they really that good?

I also need to know this

They are really good but just be aware, since you build your character completely, there's a very good chance you may build him poorly and end up not being able to advance. It's fun, but pretty unforgiving. It seems a lot like a single player Ultima Online.

Yeah, it's got a real Ultima/Fallout kind of vibe. The world will kick you in the balls and laugh at you. In the starting area. Then do a little dance and kick you in the teeth while you are laying on the ground, curled up and moaning. Currently my character is trapped in a beginner dungeon. He's running out of torches. He caught some kinda funk disease from looting a skeleton so he don't feel none too good right now. He's out of healing potions. He's currently planning on trying to rest up enough so he can claw his way back to the surface and sneak back to town, objective unattained. Maybe he can get some help with his disease but really, people don't seem to give a shit one way or the other about him. Then, if I can get healthy, rearm and maybe equip something decent by selling some of the stuff I've found, I'll go back and see if I can get what I went down for in the first place. Let me reiterate; This is the area you start out in. No tutorial, just a swift kick in the balls. I'm really enjoying it, but then I'm a masochist. If this kind of stat driven, turn based, isometric blanket party sounds like your kind of thing, you'll probably have a blast too.

The priest in the town can cure you of the disease, but he wants a fair amount of money for it. I know this from experience. Hard and bitter experience.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Frei wrote: »
    Far Cry 2 is a really great FPS/RPG that does an AMAZING job of immersing you in your character's role and has a great interactive environment. You really feel (with all respect to actual Africans) like you have malaria and are sick as fuck in Africa. It's a great game, especially with the buddy system. Imagine this: you take a few too many bullets and you go down. It's curtains, yeah? No, your buddy hears your distress call and comes in, drags you away from the fighting while shooting with their other hand. They help you up, give you some morphine. You pull a slug from your knee and inject yourself. A grenade lands nearby. You have time and escape the blast radius, your buddy, not so lucky. You rush over there to find them wincing in pain. You do your best to patch them up, you give them some morphine, no good. You know nothing's going to work. At this point, they're just asking you to put them out of their misery. You pull out your pistol (All of this is in first person) and look at it, and then at them. No, you think. Too hard. You grab some medical supplies from a nearby building and give them another shot of morphine, causing them to overdose and giving them a painless escape from this world. This is what they were given for saving your ass. You clear out the remaining bad guys who have hunkered down in the various shacks nearby and then hop in a jeep to the nearest safehouse. You really need to make a new friend, now...

I was all about the FC2 buddy system, until...

WARNING: End-game spoiler
    ...until all of the companion NPCs get together to stab you in the back. Even the one you were working with, regardless of your time and experiences together, decided money was more important.

Dammit, Nasreen...I thought we had something there. We were a team.

After that I didn't really give a damn what happened.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm really enjoying it, but then I'm a masochist. If this kind of stat driven, turn based, isometric blanket party sounds like your kind of thing, you'll probably have a blast too.

I just looked at the "Game Rules" screenshot for Book II.

"[] Food and Water are Required for Your Character's Survival"

Sign me up.

Book I, II, either, both?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Finally caught up, after missing that there was a new thread for an hour, "high" call volume at work and server busies.

The Batman contest is awesome and I would totally enter if I didn't already have it on the 360 and could find a scan of my favorite Batman moment.

And the best thing about Far Cry 2 was definitely setting fires to everything. I liked when I Gamefly'd it on the 360, but not enough to beat it or have a compelling urge to play it again. But I can recommend it at its sale price.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    PheacePheace Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Think I'm gonna stick to King's Bounty Armored Princess + Crossworlds today. Atom Zombie Smasher looks sort of nice on the WTF is, but I'll get back to it on a later sale I think. King's Bounty, now that i'm going to play a lot :)

Pheace on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm really enjoying it, but then I'm a masochist. If this kind of stat driven, turn based, isometric blanket party sounds like your kind of thing, you'll probably have a blast too.

I just looked at the "Game Rules" screenshot for Book II.

"[] Food and Water are Required for Your Character's Survival"

Sign me up.

Book I, II, either, both?

I'd probably go ahead and get both since they're so cheap right now.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Odd, my steam client isn't showing my tickets or achievements on the DLC page anymore.

But I know I have them.
    You have likely become disconnected from the Steam Community page. Steam connects to two different pages, steampowered.com (the store) and steamcommunity.com (the extra community stuff) and your cheevos are stored on the latter. Just restart Steam and hope that you reconnect properly. Alternatively, you'll have to manually sign into the steam Community link.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    What is King's Bounty and should I get it?

Tav on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Psiberian wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Psiberian wrote: »
    *xbox controller stuff*

So mine is technically wireless but it has the usb cable to plug it in/charge it. When I do so the computer sees that it is a wireless xbox controller and the drivers install just fine ( before plugging in and after) but the controller never shows up in control panel or in device manager... /quandary I don't know if that means that i must get the wireless adapter to make it work or if there is some other voodoo i need to do to make it function. any tips appreciated.

The custom xbox 360 controller drivers might work, but as is, the charge n play cable doesn't let you use the 360 controller by default. Only a hard wired 360 controller works. (I spent a good while hunting one down used from gamestop, personally.)

And for the record, the wireless adapter can have issues with certain games. It is probably preferable to pick up a wired controller for the nominal additional cost and not have to deal with the headaches caused by the wireless adapter. Additionally, if you have a PS3 controller and the charge cable, you can set that up to be a USB gamepad with your computer (which is what I do).

thanks for the info everyone! /Dislike MS

Dr.Arch excellent suggestion for the ps3 controller thank you.

Could I get the link again to the directions for attaching a PS3 controller to Windows 7?

Also, once I do that, would it conflict with a 360 controller that's also paired to the PC (as in, I can't have both running at once)? Does this also de-sync the PS3 controller from my PS3, and if so is it easy enough to instantly pair it between my PS3 and PC?

Here you go: Linky.

This should not de-sync the controller from the PS3 at all, but you will need to use the PS3's power switch to turn off the PS3, otherwise it will try to sync up with the PS3 when you hook the controller up to the PS3. Unfortunately, I do not know if it will conflict with a 360 controller paired with the PC, but I do not think it will be an issue.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yikes, I blink and 11 pages appear in a new thread.

Killing Floor, yes/no? How satisfying would it be, even if my usual co-op friends don't seem all that keen? Still decent to hop online for random floor-killing?

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have to admit, I did have a lot of fun with Far Cry 2, but it got so extremely tedious, I never finished it... Maybe I should try again on PC this time? Are there any mods that eliminate the annoying checkpoints?

Icemopper on
  • Options
    either,oreither,or Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bought Batman, looking forward to playing that at last. Has anyone had any problems with the DRM though? Having what is effectively three levels of DRM seems like overkill and it has put me off of buying it before, is it as needlessly complicated as it sounds?

either,or on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS friend code: 4811-7214-5053
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tav wrote: »
    What is King's Bounty and should I get it?

Do you like Heroes of Might and Magic? Of course you do, you're a human.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I have to admit, I did have a lot of fun with Far Cry 2, but it got so extremely tedious, I never finished it... Maybe I should try again on PC this time? Are there any mods that eliminate the annoying checkpoints?

No mods for Far Cry 2. It's the stupidest thing ever, too. That game could've been so amazing with just a couple modifications.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ashe wrote: »

Killing Floor, yes/no? How satisfying would it be, even if my usual co-op friends don't seem all that keen? Still decent to hop online for random floor-killing?

Kill things

Kill more things

Panic as you run out of ammo.

Run around your teammates trying to survive till the end of the round.

Survive/Be brutally killed

Say: Holy shit that was awesome

Repeat until 5am

Shade on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Shade wrote: »

Kill things

Kill more things

Repeat until 5am

I... I think I'm buying it twice.

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Good golly, both GTA games are 30 gigs combined.
    Ugh. Stupid bandwith caps.

Is the complete pack just the base game and Episodes From Liberty City seperately? I would have thought it'd be the same as the base game with the episodes as DLC, which would "only" be a little ove 20GB.

Peewi on
  • Options
    a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    FarCry 2 is good in small doses.

If you aren't playing any other manshoots at the time it can be a fun diversion for a few hours from whatever else you're normally playing.

a puddle on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

Kill things

Kill more things

Repeat until 5am

Yeah I've been on the fence about KF for a long time, thinking it was the poor man's LFD (even though it's been priced higher for some time). I'll bite, so long as people around here still play (and it appears they do).

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Saint's Row 2 is at that "just outside what I'm comfortable paying for it" price. THQ seems happy to put shit on the steam sale. Hopefully that makes it, get people excited for the Third.

Also, and I feel like a dick for waiting, but I'm hoping Capsized goes lower. I know, I know. But still. Last day, right?

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    either,or wrote: »
    Bought Batman, looking forward to playing that at last. Has anyone had any problems with the DRM though? Having what is effectively three levels of DRM seems like overkill and it has put me off of buying it before, is it as needlessly complicated as it sounds?

It's really not that complicated, but if anyone has had any trouble, it's always with GFWL.

SteevL on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Vegan wrote: »
    Finished episode 3 of BTTF last night. I am firmly entrenched in the "shit just got real" category of the plot. This game is phenomenal. I've never really played an adventure game before but it's probably the perfect genre for the game.

Oh man. If you've never played an adventure game before and BttF has your socks knocked off...

Sorry this happened while I was in class. I was worried though, you seemed to trail off there as though you where about to tell me the secret that would change my adventure game based life but in that instant where brutally slain.

I'll bring flowers to the gravesite.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Nothing I want today! I think? Hurm.. going to take a nap, and hopefully shake off the need to gift since I'm not buying anything for myself today.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Kill things

Kill more things

Repeat until 5am

Yeah I've been on the fence about KF for a long time, thinking it was the poor man's LFD (even though it's been priced higher for some time). I'll bite, so long as people around here still play (and it appears they do).

I bought it during the winter sale, but never really played it. That plus needing the ticket ensures I'm willing to play.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Kill things

Kill more things

Repeat until 5am

There is a PA server, if you want people to play, bump the KF thread, I would love to play, but this week is kind of busy for me, but after that, count me in. (Heh, maybe if I see people on the server I might jump in for a game or two).

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Kill things

Kill more things

Repeat until 5am

FWIW I actually enjoyed killing floor far more than L4D it is a better zombie horror game. I did like L4D but it got boring pretty fast and L4d2 felt like an expansion pack more than a separate game to me anyway.

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'd really like to thank TheClap for gifting me a copy of Beat Hazard Ultra. But since I don't own the original Beat Hazard, someone else will have to.

So here's a contest for those of you that own Beat Hazard and want Ultra

Send me a PM of a band and a song that you think I probably haven't heard. I'll listen to all the entries and give away the expansion to Beat Hazard to the person who sends me the song I like the most.

Entries who send me a song I've heard before will not count unless it is fucking incredible. So try going for obscure stuff!

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Saint's Row 2 is at that "just outside what I'm comfortable paying for it" price. THQ seems happy to put shit on the steam sale. Hopefully that makes it, get people excited for the Third.

Also, and I feel like a dick for waiting, but I'm hoping Capsized goes lower. I know, I know. But still. Last day, right?

http://www.amazon.com/Saints-Row-2-Pc/dp/B0016Q4UJE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1309984413&sr=8-3

Registers on Steam.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    witchalok is a gentleman and a scholar (though, being a black mage, isn't that last part assumed anyway? ;-)). He gifted me the longest journey

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If for some reason you decide to play Killing Floor solo like I did at first, do yourself a favor and play on easy. At least until you get used to how it all works.

I finally dove into some multiplayer during the whole Potato Sack stuff and had a lot of fun. I gifted it to a few real-life friends; I wish they'd actually play it.

SteevL on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    so... where is this cold stream campaign in l4d2? because it doesn't seem to exist for me

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Not sure if anyone had this issue so asking, as I've seen general errors reported, but when gifting on the gift note stage, I do my note, hit go, and it's been "working" for like 5 minutes now.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Great to hear Killing Floor still has a decent following. I'll keep pestering the usual suspects on Steam, and hopefully they'll get involved too. I can't see why they wouldn't - looks right up our co-op street.

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Vegan wrote: »
    Finished episode 3 of BTTF last night. I am firmly entrenched in the "shit just got real" category of the plot. This game is phenomenal. I've never really played an adventure game before but it's probably the perfect genre for the game.

Oh man. If you've never played an adventure game before and BttF has your socks knocked off...

Sorry this happened while I was in class. I was worried though, you seemed to trail off there as though you where about to tell me the secret that would change my adventure game based life but in that instant where brutally slain.

I'll bring flowers to the gravesite.

There is a LucasArts Adventure Game collection on Steam (forget how much it is). I recommend picking this up, lot of great games in there (as long as you are not averse to older sprite graphics :P)

My favorite of the bunch: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

You may also want to check out the Sam & Max and Tales of Monkey Island series(es) which are made by the same company as BttF and also available on Steam.

Edit: LucasArts Adventure Pack and it's currently on sale for $6.69 which is a pretty decent price for four games :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is there any way to see what's on sale today? I've been chained to and fixing this lady's computer so all I have is my iPhone.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    LordYod/Durandal are both gents. The AI WAR gift appeared just a minute ago, roughly the same time the problem I was having gifting to someone else resolved itself. I think Steam just burped up some gifts.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Good golly, both GTA games are 30 gigs combined.
    Ugh. Stupid bandwith caps.

Is the complete pack just the base game and Episodes From Liberty City seperately? I would have thought it'd be the same as the base game with the episodes as DLC, which would "only" be a little ove 20GB.

They are two completely different games. Episodes From Liberty City doesn't require GTA 4 to play. Showing up as two entries in my library. *shrug*

Rizzi on