Options

[4E] ODAM - OOC thread (2groups1thread)

• Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    Alright! Updated my character sheet with some new items.
    Robes of Scintillation +1 (At will, minor: I can use it like a torch, essentially. Daily, Standard: Close burst 2, int vs will + robe bonus (1), on a hit the target is dazed, save ends). Both powers are Radiant keyword.

Orb of Unlucky Exchanges +1 (+1 to attack and damage, +1d6 on critical, Daily, free: Used when I use an implement spell with this, an effect on me or an ally within 5 squares of me ends. The target is now afflicted by it for the same duration)
    WHAT'S THAT, ONGOING ACID 10? WHOOPS NOT ANYMORE.

Amulet of Protection +1 (+1 to Will, Reflex, Fort saves)
    Which goes nicely with Human Perseverance.

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping our leader gets picked soon. Misty gets grumpy when she can't curse things for fun and profit.

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    dang

things movin' already

may not be able to post between now and monday

but if it is assumed that Hal is there I can make the post

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    Since my pbp is going nowhere fast... :( I`ll post a leader in the morning once I get home from work.

The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    group one, you disappoint me with your lack of boldness

step it up people, we should not be meeting our opening with 'let's go back and have a drink and be safe and boring'

i expect hylian to punish you

• Options
    KimmerynKimmeryn Registered User regular
    You really want to take on a possible warren of ice trolls? Influence the group to do your bidding :P

• Options
    i would rather stare at you all scornfully for not picking the Big Damn Hero option and hope you do better when such a choice presents itself

• Options
    ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    Seriously, trust your DM. He isn't going to throw you into something way out of your depth for the first encounter.

• Options
    Hmm, I didn't really think out the "leader" part of my role RP-wise...in most of the roleplaying I've had experience with, the roles are mostly ignored, and arbitrary items on a character sheet. So I'll have to think about that creatively a bit. I'm sure there will be enough battle for all.

• Options
    I'm also used to being railroaded and baited by DMs out for blood, as a kind of lesson about "it's not always a good idea to rush into battle."

• Options
    starchaservastarchaserva Registered User regular
    Yeah. Going to have to agree. What people forget in D&D is that there *are* combat situations that you are supposed to run from, rather than charge headlong into.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    okay

do you really think hylian is going to put us into our first encounter and TPK us

it kind of frightens me that you guys are hiding behind the "dungeon master vs. the players" mentality

if i have to browbeat you guys to stop being paranoid i will because i know you're new to the boards. we're here to tell a fun, exciting HEROIC FANTASY story, and these stories do not include 'go back to the inn and sit by a fire', especially in a game like Chronicles of Odam where the entire driving force is the players

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    this ain't your pappy's dnd is what i am trying to get at here

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Kimmeryn wrote:
    Hmm, I didn't really think out the "leader" part of my role RP-wise...in most of the roleplaying I've had experience with, the roles are mostly ignored, and arbitrary items on a character sheet. So I'll have to think about that creatively a bit. I'm sure there will be enough battle for all.

Well in my experience, the leader of the party is usually simply the person most likely to take action in a given situation.
    Kimmeryn wrote:

That's the old school. This is the new school, which emphasizes all crazy kinds of things - like people having fun.

Shinyo on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I'm sorry. There's paranoid. And there's realism. I may be new to the boards, but I am not new to D&D by a long shot. This has nothing to do with *having fun* or *not having fun* I've had games in which a low level party died because they assumed a DM won't kill them in the first go. Not only that...but how many people would instantly assume "Trolls. I want me some of that action, and not think twice about that? I'm thinking of what my character would say in this situation, not what I would say as a player. That's meta-gaming. Besides, it's stupid to assume that having fun always equals rushing headlong into a fight, especially when we have no real clue of what we're doing or why we're doing it.

starchaserva on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    this isn't a game about realism, this isn't the same dnd you played with your group, hylian is not going to kill the party on the first go, and yes it's metagaming because this is a social endeavor not an MMO

i'm REALLY not trying to come off as a bully, or maybe i am, or whatever, but as someone who has played many games here on these boards with a lot of the same people who's participating, who's played a TON of other roleplaying games, and finally, as someone who PLAYED IN THE FIRST GAME THIS IS KIND OF A SEQUEL TO

hylian is not going to railroad us on a big storyplan, so if the "why are you guys here/what are you doing/who were you fighting" questions being left up to the PLAYERS wasn't a big clue, you need to read this here and get that clue now or we are going to have a schism

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I'm all about having fun. It's certainly what I'm trying to do. I'm not trying to spoil anybody else's entertainment either. My own feelings, out of character, is the preference for having an opportunity to get to know the characters as a group prior to battle. I acknowledge I am new to the boards and new to PBP. Perhaps my reticence has more to do with lack of experience with how battle mechanics go in such an environment.
    Shinyo wrote:
    Well in my experience, the leader of the party is usually simply the person most likely to take action in a given situation.
    I certainly appreciate the direction as far as the role goes.
    if i have to browbeat you guys to stop being paranoid i will because i know you're new to the boards.

And I promise I don't need to be browbeaten into going into battle. I'm experienced with face-to-face dnd gaming and I really, really enjoy being able to use my new powers (especially after I've just leveled up).

Kimmeryn on
  • Options
    it's not even that, these boards here are very collaborative-minded, and odam is a prime example of player driven we-are-all-friends-here collaboration. it's not about charging headlong into battle, it's about a bigger picture of telling an exciting story in high heroic fantasy, which has certain TROPES

we are the protagonists in a heroic story

going back to the inn is not heroic or particularly exciting

• Options
    I'm sorry. There's paranoid. And there's realism. I may be new to the boards, but I am not new to D&D by a long shot. This has nothing to do with *having fun* or *not having fun* I've had games in which a low level party died because they assumed a DM won't kill them in the first go. Not only that...but how many people would instantly assume "Trolls. I want me some of that action, and not think twice about that? I'm thinking of what my character would say in this situation, not what I would say as a player. That's meta-gaming. Besides, it's stupid to assume that having fun always equals rushing headlong into a fight, especially when we have no real clue of what we're doing or why we're doing it.

Okay, so your adventurer character is going to say, "Let's go back to the holiday inn for tea and cookies." ? Really?

As for fun and not fun? This is a board with like, fifty games going on at any given time. If a game isn't fun, it gets dropped really fast. So if Hylian were to do something like, give you a completely unfair TPK just because you went after something that he himself is encouraging you to go after, it's going to be a real short game.
    Now I know for a fact that Hylian is a good DM. He runs good games. For you to look at the adventure hook provided to you, and then turn around and just go home is like a slap to the face. It says that you don't trust him, and that you think his game would be a poor one. It's an insult.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    sorry i didn't mean to turn this into a big RARR fest either, i am kind of passionate about this stupid hobby you see, and doubly passionate about this game and world

also as a side note, in the first game, one of the party members had the mentality of 'let's hide in a rope trick while the exciting drama passes us by' and the GM retconned him out of existence/kicked out the player

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Well, I certainly feel punished.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    sorry that really wasn't my intent, i'm not out for anyone's blood

i just wanted to stress that this is a very different environment where the group is dedicated towards telling a story, where the mechanics serve to strengthen that, not the other way around. the whole 'we can't do a heroic thing wah wah we're only level 2' may be the prevailing mentality for dnd but that's not how we roll in critical failures (most times), and i want to encourage people to think in terms of heroic fantasy and not 'realism', because if we all aligned that way we'd spend the entire campaign sitting on our duffs and the game would die soon after that

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Who said my character is a gung-ho kill'em all and let god sort'em out adventurer? Hylian didn't provide the hook. Someone randomly said "Ice Trolls" and Hylian ran with it. What you're saying is an insult to players who feel that they have a choice which way the adventure goes. I never said "I'm leaving and never coming back". Not every hero has to be some blood and guts maniac out to kill everything that walks. It's still a game. And the fact that it is a game does not automatically mean we're going to win every fight. I don't know Hylian, nor do I know his Dming style. There's nothing wrong with taking a step back to assess a situation. I'm playing a character who doesn't charge into a fight against a foe that he knows he isn't prepared to handle. If this is a social endeavor you should respect our in character decisions out of character. Because I back away from this one fight, doesn't mean I'm going to back away from every fight. We, as a group, still have no idea of our organization, or our common goal. If we spent a handful of time organizing what we were going to do, then I would be much more likely to join in a fight. The major problem, is that we've been dropped unawares into a situation without any knowledge of what's going on, or what we're supposed to do. We're making this up as we go along.

starchaserva on
  • Options
    Kimmeryn wrote:
    Well, I certainly feel punished.

And yet, I'd wager you also feel like a better player for the experience. Because now you are.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Who said my character is a gung-ho kill'em all and let god sort'em out adventurer? Hylian didn't provide the hook. Someone randomly said "Ice Trolls" and Hylian ran with it. What you're saying is an insult to players who feel that they have a choice which way the adventure goes. I never said "I'm leaving and never coming back". Not every hero has to be some blood and guts maniac out to kill everything that walks. It's still a game. And the fact that it is a game does not automatically mean we're going to win every fight. I don't know Hylian, nor do I know his Dming style. There's nothing wrong with taking a step back to assess a situation. I'm playing a character who doesn't charge into a fight against a foe that he knows he isn't prepared to handle. If this is a social endeavor you should respect our in character decisions out of character. Because I back away from this one fight, doesn't mean I'm going to back away from every fight. We, as a group, still have no idea of our organization, or our common goal. If we spent a handful of time organizing what we were going to do, then I would be much more likely than that. The major problem, is that we've been dropped unawares into a situation without any knowledge of what's going on, or what we're supposed to do. We're making this up as we go along.

it has nothing to do with in-character

this is not an in-character problem

this is a concern that you don't know the meta foundation that this particular game, Odam, is built on, and i am trying to get you to see that even if your character isn't a 'blood and guts maniac', the proper response in the FIRST LEG OF THE GAME is not 'go back to safety'

you have the freedom to have said, 'yes, we need to get out of here! it's a long way to the Lost Library of Shagradan'

or 'we should send our stealthiest member to scout the enemies lurking in the darkness while the others prepare an ambush!'

your character chose 'let's go home'

characters have to bend to make the game fun sometimes. notice how my character was like "man i wish i was going to fight those trolls. oh well, those other guys have a point! let's go home"

that's called bending your concept for the good of the group

you're basically telling me you didn't actually look at the previous game and how things were done

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Who said my character is a gung-ho kill'em all and let god sort'em out adventurer? Hylian didn't provide the hook. Someone randomly said "Ice Trolls" and Hylian ran with it.

Why yes, this is how Odam works. This is how you'll be getting ALL your quest hooks, background information, and so forth. Didn't you read the previous thread at all?
    What you're saying is an insult to players who feel that they have a choice which way the adventure goes.

Again, Odam works by the players making things up. You yourself could now begin to make things up about the ice trolls! You could mention how you guys figured out their weakness from a previous fight, and it would be completely legit.
    I never said "I'm leaving and never coming back". Not every hero has to be some blood and guts maniac out to kill everything that walks. It's still a game. And the fact that it is a game does not automatically mean we're going to win every fight. I don't know Hylian, nor do I know his Dming style. There's nothing wrong with taking a step back to assess a situation. I'm playing a character who doesn't charge into a fight against a foe that he knows he isn't prepared to handle.

Great, so you are going to go check out the ice trolls then?
    If this is a social endeavor you should respect our in character decisions out of character. Because I back away from this one fight, doesn't mean I'm going to back away from every fight.
    I don't have to respect any of your decisions or opinions at all. What gave you that idea?
    We, as a group, still have no idea of our organization, or our common goal. If we spent a handful of time organizing what we were going to do, then I would be much more likely than that. The major problem, is that we've been dropped unawares into a situation without any knowledge of what's going on, or what we're supposed to do. We're making this up as we go along.

Right! So USE that as an opportunity like Arcanis is doing. He wants you guys to show up as badasses, you're already taking out ice trolls no problem. You've just been established in the setting as big damn heroes. Nobody is going to suddenly pull that rug out from under you.

You MUST have trust with your DM or you aren't going to have much of a game!

• Options
    i mean if you'd rather i 'played my character' and been like, 'well you guys are wusses, i'mma go fight those fuckin' trolls myself' and split the party before the game even got started, i can do that, but i don't think hylian would appreciate that

• Options
    maybe we should take this to PM

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Here's your problem, Shinyo, aside from the fact that you're not in the game. My character isn't a "Big Damn Hero" nor have I ever considered him so. I don't want him to be, especially not right off the bat. If we decide the world, then I just made a decision about the world. What if I've decided that the Ice Trolls en masse are too tough for us, and that we got lucky against the singular one? We *all* establish what we do, not just one player deciding we are. Yes. My first response it that. It would always be that. I don't care what the "meta" for this game is. If I, the player of the character, have the choice to make a decision about what to do, then it is fully in my right to make a decision to go back to somewhere safe. I don't, as a player, appreciate being told "Man up and do what everyone else wants to do, because this is what we've decided is fun" You perhaps think rushing into fights is fun, but perhaps I prefer sitting and strategizing. We don't know where the warren is, how many trolls are there, what supplies we have or anything. Perhaps I will go back and check out the ice trolls, but not until I do what my character considers correct. If you want me to charge into the fight...convince me to charge into the fight, don't just assume that I'm going to barrel into whatever the DM serves up without a second thought

starchaserva on
  • Options
    dude

i already did bend my character choice

so you don't really have a leg to stand on

• Options
    Yes I do, because you're still telling me to bend mine, regardless of the fact that you already bent yours.

• Options
    So what I'm hearing here is that it's your intent to be an obstacle to the narrative of this game for the sake of staying in character.

Got it.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    For the record, Varis is just echoing the stuff he's heard from his instructors.

I, as a player, am ready to go bash in some ogre skulls.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    see now there's ogres too

zed, i like the cut of your jib.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Shinyo. We've barely even *started* the campaign, yet here you are making a wholesale generalization about both me as a player and me as a character, because of a single IC decision I've made, which, I should add, was supported by other members of the party. The level of pure arrogant snark you've leveled at me for this single act is breathtaking. Arcanis, I'm not totally against fights, but like Zed says, I, as a character, am making a decision that is appropriate.

starchaserva on
  • Options
    yet here you are making a wholesale generalization about both me as a player and me as a character, because of a single IC decision I've made
    But it isn't about that at all. As Arcanis pointed out, you guys can flip the ice trolls the bird and go somewhere else. The real problem is where you guys are trying to leave to. Leaving to the inn is the most boring possible choice imaginable.

In case you aren't aware, this is a thematic trope called "the call to adventure". See, in Star Wars when Obi-Wan tells Luke they have to go save Leia, that was a call to adventure. If the hero never takes the call to adventure, then there isn't an adventure. Which means there isn't a story there. Imagine if Luke said "Fuck the princess, I'm going to go rebuild the moisture farm." Worst movie ever. Thankfully, that wasn't the case.
    The level of pure arrogant snark you've leveled at me for this single act is breathtaking.

Why, thank you. I'm flattered.

• Options
    i see your point but at the same time, first impressions mean a lot

• Options
    Just a question...how does battle ensue in this type of environment. Do we usually wait for the DM to throw battle at us, or do we write ourselves into one?

• Options
    that usually depends on the game. if you wanted to take it upon yourself to say "and then suddenly the group fell upon some wights" i wouldn't have a problem with that, but i can't speak for hylian.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Varis hasn't geared up yet.

I'll do that right quick and see about getting us access to some fire.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.