As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Granado Espada: Frilly Dresses and Guns Galore

Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
GranadoEspada5.jpg

http://www.granadoespada.sg/en/

Currently in Closed Beta, This MMO involves controlling a family of characters at once, instead of traditionally controlling only one single character at a time. I have yet to play it aside from laziness and another MMO.

041119_hitati2.jpg

The whole game itself takes place in a Europeanish sense of style.

Anyways, your family consists of three characters at a time, and from the looks of the game itself, it seems to be rather fun n' nicely done.

http://www.granadoespada.sg/media/downloads/6/54/ss_barrack1024x768.jpg

In order to get into the closed beta, you simply how to fill out this survey, and hope you'll get in.

http://www.granadoespada.sg/en/news/?aid=45&sec=1&ssec=4

Aside from that, the experience system is as basic as basic can be, but you have certain things called stances, which change how one of your characters fights. While using a stance you can gain skills and level it up.

lmaoGElamo.jpg

There are currently five starting classes: Fighter, Elementalist, Wizard, Musketeer and Scout.

There's quests to do, and bosses to kill, and I'll be off trying this out now. Like the one pictured below.

http://www.granadoespada.sg/media/downloads/6/54/ss_boss1024x768.jpg

Also, you come up with a name for your "family" which is shared by all of them, aside from their first or last name, I think.

Dee Kae on

• Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well the "closed beta" just actually means you need to answer a survey, I have yet to hear anyone NOT get invited after doing it.
    GE has been out for 9 months or so down in asia so bugs are very few & the game is very polished.

Those 5 classes is what you start with, you can get character cards & make more. There is also recruitable characters but I am not high enough level to get any yet. If anyone wants to add me to friend list my family name is Jello

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It looks so nice. I'm in... whenever it comes.

ze swift class on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Oddly enough this isn't receiving as large a welcome as I thought it would.

The game itself is amazingly fast, and has such little quirks to it, I find myself drawn ever more to it.

I'm utterly "wtfpwning" anything I've come across, quickly, in fact within five minutes of fighting I've gained a few levels already, for all my characters in my party. That's awesome.

This game is quick and quirky, I suggest giving it a go at filling out the survey and trying it out.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Muskets + nice art style + somewhat unique game mechanic (at least for an MMO) = Awesomesauce

I'm going to go for it once it hits retail. Which I hope isn't too far away. I fully admit I will probably spend unhealthy amounts of time dressing up my characters.

Suriko on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'll give it a go. Found out about GE a while back, when the beta form was broken. Let's see if it'll work for me now.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    How does it control? One of the things I hate about MMORPGs is that they always feel so clunky and have totally unattractive interfaces. In theory, I'm really interested in this, but I don't want to waste my time if it's going to be a chore to navigate around.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm just wondering if the family thing is a gimmick or not. Do you have any special mini-games or gameplay elements that make use of the "family," or it it just an excuse to have you control three characters at once in battle?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if the family thing is a gimmick or not. Do you have any special mini-games or gameplay elements that make use of the "family," or it it just an excuse to have you control three characters at once in battle?

Well each character can be put in a certain "mode" like in Baldur's gate, for example:
    Character 1 is in assault mode ,which means he runs around attacking anyone in range. Character 2 is in hold mode which means he attacks anyone in range but doesnt move, third character is in farm-mode which means he picks up nearby loot (which can be instant effect, like health or magic points).
    Switching between modes is easy, my scout (which are support in this game) can be put in assault-mode with just pressing spacebar (which means he auto-heals if in "first aid" or "fortitude" stance, or if he has a weapon he starts attacking).

Switching stances is easy if its with the same weapon, if its with another weapon you must manually change the weapon(s). My warrior switches to block stance woth blocking-buff if lots of melee mobs spawn, also you can interrupt/knockdown spellcasters with certain skills.

Also there seems to be a bug or feature (no idea which) so that you don't get more drops if you AoE a big pack of mobs, not sure on xp because they use % and not xp-numbers.
    It might sound like you only solo with your family but soon enough you must team up because mobs spawn so much.

Othervise the gimmick is you can earn & buy poses (for screenshots I guess) & costumes for your characters.
    Screens:
    capture00003ie3.th.jpgcapture00001dv5.th.jpg

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Jelloblimp wrote: »
    Well each character can be put in a certain "mode" like in Baldur's gate, for example:
    Character 1 is in assault mode ,which means he runs around attacking anyone in range. Character 2 is in hold mode which means he attacks anyone in range but doesnt move, third character is in farm-mode which means he picks up nearby loot (which can be instant effect, like health or magic points).
    Switching between modes is easy, my scout (which are support in this game) can be put in assault-mode with just pressing spacebar (which means he auto-heals if in "first aid" or "fortitude" stance, or if he has a weapon he starts attacking).

Switching stances is easy if its with the same weapon, if its with another weapon you must manually change the weapon(s). My warrior switches to block stance woth blocking-buff if lots of melee mobs spawn, also you can interrupt/knockdown spellcasters with certain skills.

Also there seems to be a bug or feature (no idea which) so that you don't get more drops if you AoE a big pack of mobs, not sure on xp because they use % and not xp-numbers.
    It might sound like you only solo with your family but soon enough you must team up because mobs spawn so much.

Othervise the gimmick is you can earn & buy poses (for screenshots I guess) & costumes for your characters.

So, in other words, it's exactly as I described - just a gimmick to get you to control three characters at once. When I heard the term family being applied in this MMO, I figured it had some real importance. You build up some family estate or name or some such. That got me interested, but since it's just about controlling three people at once, I'm not so sure I want to try it.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't think I'd ever play this because I'd only want to make the Three Musketeers, and that team would probably be pretty unbalanced.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    So, in other words, it's exactly as I described - just a gimmick to get you to control three characters at once. When I heard the term family being applied in this MMO, I figured it had some real importance. You build up some family estate or name or some such. That got me interested, but since it's just about controlling three people at once, I'm not so sure I want to try it.

Actually storywise it does fit in somewhere. You're a family, n's o and such. Also you can obtain character cards that allow the one time creation of a certain class that you can then use.

You don't have to control three people at once, it's just far better if you do, and it's fairly easy to.

You do build up reputation through quests in order to get more missions and other things but I've only been playing it for awhile, so there might be more or just that to it.

@Lavaknight: That sounds great, and it IS great, but against other players you'll find yourself having problems, plus, bullets run out rather fast, secondly, musketeers are pretty frail, even though my single one kills most mobs before my fighter and scout even get to them.

Still, bears dude, those just maul you.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    About how long do you have to wait to get accpeted to the closed beta. Ive already had time to download, install and patch and still nothing

ronzo on
  • Options
    OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I filled out the form now I'm just waiting for the Beta.

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Avris wrote: »
    About how long do you have to wait to get accpeted to the closed beta. Ive already had time to download, install and patch and still nothing

It took a day and a half for my form to be processed, then wrongly processed then another day for it to be recorrected since they messed up one wave of emails, where instead of a username you only got, [GENAME].

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I thought this was renamed Sword of the New World. Someone told me Granado Espada is "Sword Farmer" in spanish.

Also, the art for this game is gorgeous. I'm trying to find more hi-res stuff. If anyone gets to play it, let's hear how it is. MMO's from eastern developers are usually gorgeous but no fun to play.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I thought this was renamed Sword of the New World. Someone told me Granado Espada is "Sword Farmer" in spanish.

Also, the art for this game is gorgeous. I'm trying to find more hi-res stuff. If anyone gets to play it, let's hear how it is. MMO's from eastern developers are usually gorgeous but no fun to play.

I'm currently playing it and getting a close friend into. It's amazingly fast. It's a point and click movement style, but it's been a blast so far. You'd really have to watch a video or try it out yourselve.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm still waiting for the reply. But if it's point-and-click, I don't know. I tried that with Guild Wars and a few of the other free Asian games, and it doesn't work so well with a 3d style. I guess I'll just wait and see...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    WicketW.WarrickWicketW.Warrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm really interested in this game. It looks like it could be a lot of fun just because of the community.

I have been trying to sign for the closed beta for about two weeks now. Do you guys know when they send out beta invitations? And just because I'm so desperate if anyone has an extra beta invite they don't need I'd be happy to take it off your hands *nudge nudge wink wink* ;)

WicketW.Warrick on
    94970502bg8.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    I don't think I'd ever play this because I'd only want to make the Three Musketeers, and that team would probably be pretty unbalanced.
    Well you would die (no healing) or be dirt poor (items for healing).
    (...)
    I have been trying to sign for the closed beta for about two weeks now. Do you guys know when they send out beta invitations? And just because I'm so desperate if anyone has an extra beta invite they don't need I'd be happy to take it off your hands *nudge nudge wink wink* ;)
    I signed up last tuesday/monday & got invite on thursday (which was faulty but I got a correct one on saturday). Did you fill out the survey correctly?

Delzhand wrote: »
    (...)
    "Sword of the new world" is the name used by another company. Its the same game but 2 different companys have licensed it ,SotW will be free with an items shop. GE-named GE version have not said how it will be financed.
    (SotW is has no beta at all).

Also: the chat system used ingame is moronic to say the least. Music is kickass (except if you dont like techno, then some will be painfull to lhear).

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm still just waiting around as well.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    CalaveronCalaveron Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, I really want to play this game. Unfortunately, it's invite-only and I understand the game itself is retarded to get.
    Is there any more concept art that can be posted? Really dig the style.

Calaveron on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Signed up for the beta, hope I get in. This is the coolest setting and the coolest style for any MMO ever imo. But it's also an Eastern MMO which means it will probably be NOT FOR ME, as they tend to be. Impressive, interesting, and utterly devoid of use.

EDIT: I found arts here too: http://photo.mmosite.com/granadoespada/

piL on
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I tried to get into the alpha testing for this actually, but I just got my beta key.
    YAY!

Currently downloading the client, I can't wait to try this out.

Etch on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Woo! I got into the beta. The Family Castlemore is at about level 12 and it's kicking ass. Best Korean MMO I've ever played. I love the style, and I love the party combat. I was grinding earlier, and I found a dense spawn spot and basically set up two people auto attacking and another person auto looting, and then management went to keeping everyone healed and making sure each person had Reflect cast on them. Real fun so far.

piL on
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So I was sold on the pictures.

But I answered the survey and eagerly await an email to be let in to the closed beta.

Arminas on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is EVERY SINGLE NAME EVER CREATED taken already? I can't get anything past the character creator.

Pb on
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So I've gotten my invite and I'm rather excited to try it out. One problem, though.

How am I supposed to download the client WHEN THE DOWNLOADS STOP AFTER 2%?!?

I tried the torrents, but there are barely any seeds. Anyone know of a better source for the client?

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Jacoby wrote: »
    So I've gotten my invite and I'm rather excited to try it out. One problem, though.

How am I supposed to download the client WHEN THE DOWNLOADS STOP AFTER 2%?!?

I tried the torrents, but there are barely any seeds. Anyone know of a better source for the client?
    Use the internode.on.net links from http://ge.iahgames.com/en/downloads/?sec=6&ssec=57 , you can use download-accelerators to get decent speeds.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't really even know what this game is about.

But shit:

servedqi4.jpg

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Arminas, it only took about a day to get the invite, so you could be playing it soon enough.

Jacoby, http://dashboard.filefront.com/InfocommAsia worked for me.

Anyway, anyone that's on feel free to add my family, "Castlemore". I wasn't able to add Jello when I tried earlier.

piL on
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    I don't really even know what this game is about.

But shit:

servedqi4.jpg

o_O

Are they... doing the Thriller dance?

:grin: :^:

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    VERDICT: Fun. I'm honestly excited about this game after playing it for a little while, but we'll see how it wears on.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    VERDICT: Fun. I'm honestly excited about this game after playing it for a little while, but we'll see how it wears on.

At the heart of things, it's still an MMO :|

Also, I feel that I should mention that Terror makes you die. Or rather, it makes me die.:evil:

piL on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    piL wrote: »
    Pb wrote: »

At the heart of things, it's still an MMO :|

Also, I feel that I should mention that Terror makes you die. Or rather, it makes me die.:evil:

Nice, because I have a sword that inflicts it. This feels kind of like FFXII as an MMO, although without the Gambit system it'll be interesting to see how limited it is.

Pb on
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the reply. But if it's point-and-click, I don't know. I tried that with Guild Wars and a few of the other free Asian games, and it doesn't work so well with a 3d style. I guess I'll just wait and see...

Wait, what? Guild Wars you control with WASD keys or with point-and-click. Silkroad Online was WASD too as well as FlyForFun, I think.

Also, it took me 4 days before I got an invite to the beta. So some of you might get the same treatment.

ze swift class on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I got my invite in like a day. So far it's pretty cool. The game definitely shoots for uber powerful characters who take on hordes of enemies at once ala diablo or something rather than your standard one at a time MMO. The world feels surprisingly active because the fact everyone has 3 characters easily tricks you into thinking there's more people around than there really is. The stance system is pretty neat, and overall it's pretty fun. My musketeer is rediculous btw.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have a feeling this game going to be nice. Applied for closed beta, hopefully will see you all in game soon.

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »

Wait, what? Guild Wars you control with WASD keys or with point-and-click. Silkroad Online was WASD too as well as FlyForFun, I think.

Also, it took me 4 days before I got an invite to the beta. So some of you might get the same treatment.

I was trying to say that it was confusing and clunky to move with the regular keys. And when you'd click on someone, you'd start running towards them. Usually in horrible ways that only bad pathing can invent.

I got my account, setting up game tonight...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So how many people do we officially have in? Maybe we should start a PA faction?

edit: This game makes *brilliant* use of instances
    I was doing a quest that involved turning in tainted water to the flamboyant pose and costume salesman guy, and he went berserk after drinking the water, so I load up my own private instance with all the town NPCs forming a rumble circle around us while I beat the crap out of the crazed fashion designed as he lunges at me with dual swords giggling and shrieking.. Amazing..

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Scosglen wrote: »
    edit: This game makes *brilliant* use of instances

Yes yes, oh yes. Awesome instancing, good job.

And also, I agree. I want in on some PA faction action.

piL on