As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Minecraft! 1.8 Adventure Update is officially here! NEW MAP

nukanuka What are circles?Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Social Entropy++
WKwTF.png

We have to wait for Bukkit and our mods to update first before we can update our server. Please keep your minecraft behind the update until then or you can't log in. Here's a link to a working 1.7.3 for you guys, Windows only. Sorry. Link

Is Minecraft.net Down?

WHEN DOES THE NEW MAP SHOW UP

We are shooting for the weekend but it's not set in stone. We use Bukkit, and they had to rewrite themselves because of the update but they're really trucking along, so we're hoping it won't be long.
[/URL]

New Map Render!
http://208.122.57.200:25567/#

If you want a custom skin made, contact apricotmuffins, VALVEjunkie, or Tankhammer, they'll give you a skin for a donation to the server.

Server IP

Or.

pennycraft.dyndns.org

Server Rules!
  • Don't be a jerk! That means no stealing! No duping items! No griefing! If what you want to do will piss someone off, then don't do it! If you want to pull a prank on someone speak to the admins cause we're nice people with a horrible sense of humor!
  • We'll invite your friends but if your friend is a jerk you are banned too!
  • We play on hardmode! No more kits or handouts! No free teleports to your buddies!
  • No more automatic spawners!
  • Read the other god damn posts!
  • LEAVE THE STRONGHOLDS AND NPC VILLAGES ALONE! Explore them and put up torches if you would like to, but leave everything else in place!

Q: This is an awesome server, can I donate?

A: Yes! Please, contact Ultimak about doing so. He has a link in his sig for just such a thing.

Do you want to join us? Read the rules and pop us a PM! Please tell us your minecraft username or we can't add you to the whitelist!

Vent Info!

vtx14.defconservers.com
port:3860
password: fortytwo

Do you want a color name? Pink is off limits, it's our guest color and it helps us keep track of things.
yDDdf.png

Black and dark blue are off limits, they're too hard to see. The gold is more like orange.

"Wait wait wait, what is Minecraft?"
It's a totally awesome game where you dig a lot and build a lot and then die a lot and then your stuff gets all blown up.

Great! I loaded up a map but I'm really confused on how to play!

Look for a tree. Chances are, you see one. Punch it. Seriously, punch it with the left mouse button. You wanna aim for the logs. Also, stick with the short trees for now. There's more wood in the larger ones but they're harder to take down when you're just starting out.

Anyways, now open up your inventory with the I key. It looks like this.
dQYWW.jpg
You see that 2x2 grid box? Put your logs in there. You'll notice that you now have something called Wooden Planks. (It doesn't actually exist until you click on it but whatever.) You want 4 of them to make a crafting table? It's does for you exactly the same thing you're doing right now, but instead you have a 3x3 crafting grid.

Hopefully, you have a lot more than 4 planks at the moment. If not, get at least 5 more. If you have enough, then go to your crafting table and right click on it. Take 2 planks and put them on the grid, one on top of the other to make Sticks. Generally speaking, it's fairly intuitive to make items with the crafting table like what you just did now, but here's a couple of pictures for you to show you how to make your first tools. Oh and by the way, use the wrong tool on the wrong block and it breaks faster. It's still pretty intuitive, like why would you use a pickaxe on a tree instead of an axe?
PzUTy.jpgOiMjK.jpgbm4ll.jpgJvB1S.jpg
Now, depending on the time of day you either want to make a home or start gathering stone. Use your new wooden pickaxe and gather 8 blocks of stone. Go back to your crafting table and make a circle around in the crafting grid. This gives you a furnace and it does many nice things for you.

Oh like, you can smelt logs and get charcoal and make yourself torches. By the way logs burn at roughly the same rate as planks, so if you're going to be using logs as fuel, use planks instead. You can also burn up those extra saplings you earn as you play, but they burn up really fast. Charcoal has the same properties as coal does, coal being one of the minerals you can mine out of the ground. Stick a piece of charcoal on top of a stick and you have a torch. Use this to light your house because night is coming soon, or is already here and monsters come out at night. They won't spawn within a certain area of you, and they won't spawn if there is too much light.

Remember that your first home doesn't need to be special but do remember to build a roof, you'll thank me later when spiders come crawling in, giant spiders. Sometimes with skeletons riding on them.

And there you go! The basics of Minecraft! If there is anything else you need to know, ask around or check out the Minecraft Wikia here. Remember that YouTube is a wonderful source of information as well, just remember to check the dates because this game updates often and sometimes things become out of date.

Did you know that there is a large modding community for Minecraft? It's true!

I will not bother to list like a top 10, because there are just so many that I wouldn't have time to do so. The Minecraft Official Forums are exactly what you would expect from any official forum, full of people who care way too much about Minecraft to actually fill in their brain with knowledge or tact. This is where the modding community is though!

As far as keeping things organized, the mods there seem to run a tight ship. I will make things easy for you though and link you to the forums and stickies you should frequent.

I JOINED YOUR SERVER BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Oh I guess you should read the wikia we set up for you then.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
nuka on

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Rail System 101
    So you want to travel in style, save time, reduce your carbon footprint, and avoid creeper-holing our beautiful surface roads? Then you want to use the fabulous SE++ Rail System!

What's the Status Of the Thing?
    It's a new map. Nothing is working yet. Priority is getting the main trunks (north, east, south, west) working. The new map is bordered closely on the north, so don't sweat digging up that way yet.

I Want To Help!
    Donate some iron for rail! Diamond for the Spawnville spawner block would be lovely, too. If you want to dig, as soon as we get a Spawnville station dug (will probably take a few nights), we'll post the coordinates here and where to dig. The new tunnels won't be as deep as on the old map, just enough to keep us under the ocean. They also won't be quite as big (we haven't used two-rail lines on two successive maps), probably just 2 wide and 3 tall at a minimum.

If you help, PM me your in-game name and I'll make sure you end up on the "thank you" board. :)

The plan for the lines:
    • rule #1: Do not build directly on the x or z coordinates of the Spawnville railway, or +/- about 20 from there, because you'll end up with a hole punched in your construction when the rail reaches you. The main trunk rails take priority over your basement. This is not negotiable. You have been warned.
    • rule #2: don't make it ugly. Example: if you build a skyrail, you had better make sure evvvveryone who can see it is okay with your look. The rail will run underground, underwater, on the surface, and/or on skyrails. Basically it's whatever the local architecture dictates. At New New Spawntown, it'll be underground but may pop up to the surface nearby.
    • rule #3: build it safe. Underground rails need to be well-lit. Surface rails need enough fences, etc., to keep creepers and skellies at bay. If you use fences, make sure to put a fence gate every so often so people don't break your fence to hop onboard. Surface rail is tricky to make safe without making ugly, but you guys are awesome and will figure it out.
    • rule #4: don't build on gravel (gravel is the brake block in Minecart Mania); dig it up and replace it.

So You Want To Be a Railroad Tycoon?
    I wrote up a tutorial on adding a basic station. As soon as the server comes up, I'll add pictures. Beyond that, I recommend the Minecart Mania Wiki. If you have specific questions, ask me (PMs here, in-game, etc.) and I'll do my best to help. I'll add frequently-asked questions to the web page.

If you want to intersect the main rail lines with your rail project, please, for the Love of the Creeper God, do it in a non-intrusive way. Traffic should continue normally past your intersection without noticing, unless they "/st next" or something like that. Likewise, please don't disrupt main line operation any more than you have to. Consider the rails public property. Beyond that, play nice and have fun building!

introp on
    Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If you have google+ then following notch on there would be a good idea. An interesting post he made about combat.
    notch wrote:
    Blocking with RMB while holding a weapon is totally useless unless enemies tell you when they're about to attack. So I'll guess we'll have to add attack animations for all hostile mobs!

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    HUZZAH

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have been considering buying this game. When I get paid (and my roommate stops needing money when her loan refund finally comes in) I will be buying this game. Thank you for the mini intro.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh good, a new one!

Thanks dear.

The+doctor.png

Also, first death with loss of materials working on Highwind.

Wasn't my fault. Bastard block lag.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    ultimakay wrote: »
    If you have google+ then following notch on there would be a good idea. An interesting post he made about combat.
    notch wrote:
    Blocking with RMB while holding a weapon is totally useless unless enemies tell you when they're about to attack. So I'll guess we'll have to add attack animations for all hostile mobs!

I wonder if they are adding shields. Or we are blocking with our current weapon.

Shield I think is the most likely. Then I can shield and shovel as my main fighting style.

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I'm burning out hunting sheep to finish the shuttle. Time to switch it up for a while. Any suggestions for what I should do with the top three floors of my resort tower in Skylands?

WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Here is a shot of my island on the left and Ferrets Island on the right, from the future site of <Insert Name Here> Harbor Station!

2011-07-11_162226.png

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    dargondarkfiredargondarkfire wyomingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    WuShock wrote: »
    So I'm burning out hunting sheep to finish the shuttle. Time to switch it up for a while. Any suggestions for what I should do with the top three floors of my resort tower in Skylands?

carnival!

dargondarkfire on
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh No!
    09C9E9D6012BACD611AB382C7B6F474EB4792D29

Creeper in my Mushroom grow room!

Highfire on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I put in water under the wooden walkways, made the storage room and put in a glass ceiling above the Bitches and Hoes wheat farm.

If I see one patch of regular soil I am going to be angry.

Also I think it's a bit ugly now so you can fix it if you want, I don't care. It's public.

nuka on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That is a terrifying creeper skin.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    HIGHFIRE WHY DID YOU ADD FANGS? WHY?

Anyway, crazy question about the rails. Would it be possible (if the traffic ever justified it and the server got big and populated enough, just hypothetically) to create more than the two main lines (North/South, East/West)? Say, an additional East/West line around x=1500 that would still intersect with the main North/South line. We don't need it (yet, I don't think) but I was wondering.

Not so crazy question about the rails: are there any plans to update the map and the stations? I know the South line has gotten rather longer and more complicated recently. Also I'd like to be able to go straight to Aqaba instead of going south and then changing the station to Aqaba.

Thanks (except for the fangs on the creeper).

Mayabird on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    playing this with my desktop setup on a coffee table is a recipe for disaster

but... must... compelte... island.........

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Mayabird wrote: »
    HIGHFIRE WHY DID YOU ADD FANGS? WHY?

Anyway, crazy question about the rails. Would it be possible (if the traffic ever justified it and the server got big and populated enough, just hypothetically) to create more than the two main lines (North/South, East/West)? Say, an additional East/West line around x=1500 that would still intersect with the main North/South line. We don't need it (yet, I don't think) but I was wondering.

Not so crazy question about the rails: are there any plans to update the map and the stations? I know the South line has gotten rather longer and more complicated recently. Also I'd like to be able to go straight to Aqaba instead of going south and then changing the station to Aqaba.

Thanks (except for the fangs on the creeper).

Because I wanted a face that matched with the "Oh Shit!" noise they make.

As far as the South Rail, I'm know I last station on the line. It still needs some digging and rail lay down. I'm laying some when I have some rail in hand. On travels to the North.

Highfire on
  • Options
    eldercoreeldercore Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    is the old thread with the original renders, etc going to make an appearance in our new Minecraft thread?

eldercore on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    eldercore wrote: »
    is the old thread with the original renders, etc going to make an appearance in our new Minecraft thread?

I think i may just keep the most up to day render posted in the 3rd post, speaking of which i should download the render from this morning and get that uploaded.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Quoting myself from the G&T thread:
    Darmak wrote: »
    Did y'all see the two pictures Notch posted?

2011-07-11_15.17.07.png

2011-07-11_15.17.02.png

He said this about them:
    To make up for my previous post, here's a picture of what currently happens when a ravine hits a stronghold, in two different brightness settings.

Also, I posted this over there too but I figured I'd share with y'all. Something I made while fucking around with redstone and pistons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCW4nATgu5Y&feature=youtu.be

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Can I get on the whitelist? : > I have a bit of free time lately. Kochikens.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    someone needs to make a fucking transformer

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    jon help me build my fortress

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    no.

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    aw man

OmegaTofuNinja on
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    i am piston king!

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    nuka wrote: »
    I put in water under the wooden walkways, made the storage room and put in a glass ceiling above the Bitches and Hoes wheat farm.

Also I think it's a bit ugly now so you can fix it if you want, I don't care. It's public.

Hey nuka, I just popped in and added a geology room at the university - if you could use your mod powers to replace the placeholders with the real things that'd be really nice :).

Dis' on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    New render as the map looked yesterday: http://zoom.it/AqVP

edit: also since someone said something about raising the sea level to 100 i decided to run the landgen program to generate a 100 sealevel version of our original islands map and see what it would look like.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    oh huh
    it looks like there is room for another old haggard settler on this world.

So the way I understand it, the bedrock is essentially replaced with gates to the nether?

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    oh huh

So the way I understand it, the bedrock is essentially replaced with gates to the nether?

Pretty much, the layer you first see the bedrock is fine, but digging down into the bedrock layer will teleport you to the nether.

Also for any interesting parties, if our map had a sea level of 100 it would look like this (this is only a 5k x 5k map, so imagine this but 3 times larger): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19689254/rendertest100.png

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    that is awesome as hell

OmegaTofuNinja on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dis' wrote: »
    nuka wrote: »

Hey nuka, I just popped in and added a geology room at the university - if you could use your mod powers to replace the placeholders with the real things that'd be really nice :).
    Done, I did make the redstone ore block glow as there is more than one type, but I can change that easily if that is a problem.

nuka on
  • Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    so, any big update-happenings in minecraft since pistons were added?

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Mizuumi wrote: »
    so, any big update-happenings in minecraft since pistons were added?

Nothing but tiny tidbits about what is happening with the adventure update.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    iammattpleeveeiammattpleevee Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    pistons are fun i need to learn redstone wiring better though.

iammattpleevee on
    SteamID iammattpleevee@aol.com
    Battle.net: Matt 3999 or iammattpleevee@gmail.com
    PSN?: iammattpleevee
    life-before-google.jpg
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I keep losing the motivation and/or opportunities to play the game and the longer I'm gone the harder it is to go back in. I'm reluctant to mess around with the new patch until the server updates.

Those shots Notch posted look freakin' sweet though.

Know what I'd love? a multiplayer that didn't require a separate server. I want to explore a virgin world with just a small number of friends in a cooperative effort to build an aesthetically-pleasing stronghold against the darkness. Big, community servers are awesome but I feel like I do not have the time/dedication to make anything significantly noteworthy.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    who cares about being noteworthy

just build

what feels right

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I'm reluctant to mess around with the new patch until the server updates.

The server is updated to 1.7.2, and 1.7.3 clients can connect to it just fine. We will be moving to 1.7.3 soon, im waiting on bukkit to push a recommended build.

edit: in addition the 1.7.3 patch is very minor, only a couple of bugfixes.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    oh huh

Pretty much, the layer you first see the bedrock is fine, but digging down into the bedrock layer will teleport you to the nether.

Also for any interesting parties, if our map had a sea level of 100 it would look like this (this is only a 5k x 5k map, so imagine this but 3 times larger): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19689254/rendertest100.png

somebody call Kevin Costner

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    oh huh

somebody call Kevin Costner

this would be so cool

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I'm reluctant to mess around with the new patch until the server updates.

The server is updated to 1.7.2, and 1.7.3 clients can connect to it just fine. We will be moving to 1.7.3 soon, im waiting on bukkit to push a recommended build.

edit: in addition the 1.7.3 patch is very minor, only a couple of bugfixes.

Thanks for the hot tip!

And the news about the server!

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Late but that is an absolutely horrifying creeper skin.

Do you want to give yourself nightmares?!?

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
This discussion has been closed.