As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lawnmower won't start

GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi all,

I have a Toro, about 2 years old. This is a push-mower, not riding. On Monday I was mowing my lawn, about 3/4 of the way through. I let too much junk get in with the blades and they jammed, so the engine stopped. This has happened occasionally before and it starts up just fine, but now it won't start at all.

There is fresh fuel, and I replaced the oil earlier in the season. Today I put in a new spark plug and air filter (which I've been meaning to do for a while anyway). I don't see any loose connections, and as far as I can tell the fuel line is not clogged or crimped. I feel confident that the problem is NOT regarding the blade, because I can turn it manually and also because this model has a blade cutoff (that is, you can have the engine running without the blades turning). When I pull the cord the flywheel is turning, but the engine just won't turn over.

I'm afraid I've pretty much reached the limit of my mechanical knowledge by taking care of the spark plug and filter. Any ideas?

steam_sig.png
IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
GoodOmens on

• Options
    OliverOliver Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Does the engine turn over even briefly after you prime it several times? I'm assuming your engine has a priming pump (looks like a rubber bubble) that you push several times before trying to start the mower if its been sitting for more than an hour or so.

Oliver on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm assuming it has a choke too, did you try to use the choke? I've noticed this is necessary sometimes.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    No priming pump, no choke, on this model. I rechecked the ignition switch wires, and they seem to be connected properly.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    What model is it? That seems weird to not have a prime or choke.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It's a Toro 20333. It has something they call ReadyStart. Really nice mower for a number of reasons, among them not having to mess with choke and priming.

Ah, well, I'm pretty sure it's still under warranty.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png