As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alcohol from Taiwan - What is it? (need Chinese translation help, I think)

CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend just got back from a business trip to Taipei, and she got me the greatest gift of all. Booze in a man-shaped bottle.

boozeman.jpg

But booze man's insides seem like more of an acquired taste. Girlfriend thinks the booze might have sopped up bad flavor from whatever the bottle's made of, but I feel sure I've had something like his contents before (and that I didn't like it then, either). Maybe if someone could read the label under his feet, that would help? We tried to look at a Mandarin character translation--thing on the internet for a while and came up with "one of the characters means he's full of booze, and the one before that is 'Terracotta Warrior,' which isn't a big help, because there is a little English on the box he came in, that says he's a Chin Dynasty Spirit: General."

Anyway, feet label:
terracottalabel.jpg

CowShark on

• Options
    So the help I'm requesting is, "What's he full of, anyway? Does anyone know?"

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    according to my wife, it says that its wheat liquor, 58% alcohol, no expiration date. It's made the traditional way is written across the top in red. The rest of the stuff is the company's name and address and at the bottom line says to please not drink and drive. In red at the bottom it says it tastes good.

• Options
    mehmehmehmehmehmeh Registered User regular
  • Options
    potNPanpotNPan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    (Roughly)

Traditionally brewed

Product Name: Terracotta Wine (General - something blur, can't read)

Type: White wine* Made from: Sorghum **
    Alcohol content: 58% Contains: 750ml
    Storage period: no limit
    Producer: Xin Yu Sheng Chemical (or chemistry?) Ltd.
    Address: Taipei - something something - Street 66 No. 2 Level 1
    Produced date & batch number: On bottle

Some liquor record number ? DN009523020004

Don't drive after drinking alcohol. Be safe and secure.

Can't read the last line.

* white wine is a direct translation and probably refers to what mehmehmeh said above, not the type made from grapes.
    ** Sorghum is more commonly known to Chinese as gao liang.

potNPan on
  • Options
    Pipe DreamerPipe Dreamer Registered User regular
    FYI, I live in Taiwan and I have literally never met anyone who actually likes the taste of gaoliang. You mostly see it at traditional dinner banquets, and it's very seldom drunk by itself (except by those looking for a quick way to get wasted). I would say it's normal that you and your girlfriend don't like the taste of it.

• Options
    Great! Thank you so much for the knowledge!