As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Checkpoint ep. 12 - 3DSadness

faitsfaits a panda eating cakeseattleRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Social Entropy++

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Is the 3DS really doing that bad?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    oh god

the capcom jokes

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    it would maybe sell better if it had

a game

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I bought a 3DS midnight, day one. I sold it less than three months later along with the three games for it I owned.

I hate to say it but at this point it is simply not worthwhile to own a 3DS. Give it a year or two when there's a bigger library and prices have come down. I was spending more time playing DS back catalog games on it than anything else.

• Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    I'm waiting for the inevitable 3DSi lite xl whatever, and I wonder how many people are doing the same thing. Without a compelling reason to buy the system, waiting for an upgraded version with a better screen and battery life just makes sense.

I bought the gba months before the sp was announced and the ds months before the lite was announced. You fooled me twice, nintendo, but not three times!

faits.png
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is it possible the Wii U controller buzz is the main reason behind slow 3DS sales?

Xehalus on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I'm definitely of the opinion that since the only game out there for the system worth playing is a polished port of Zelda64 most flks are happy to keep playing their DSLite for another year hoping for a redesign or price drop.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Yea, I don't plan on buying a 3DS any time soon. I'm quite fine with this little gem.
    1046_1209326748385_Konami_Top_Gun.jpg

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Heh!

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Kathleen_LRRKathleen_LRR Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote:
    Is it possible the Wii U controller buzz is the main reason behind slow 3DS sales?

I may be going on on a limb here, but wouldn't there have to be buzz behind the Wii U for that to happen?

• Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    I love my 3DS

Though having already played Ghost Recon to death and not really caring about Zelda, I'm kind of hurting for new content

• Options
    pariah164pariah164 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Poor 3DS. I am indeed waiting for a 3DS XL or something. I have a PSP and I got the Super Mario Anniversary Edition DSi XL last Christmas, so I'm really not in the market for another gaming system right now.

This is subject to change if Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney is confirmed for a US release.

pariah164 on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure it's been confirmed that it's not getting a us release

It's not like it's surprising that a $250 dollar handheld isn't selling, especially when it doesn't do anything other than play games

It'll probably pick up a little during the holiday season

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

I thought it's been out for awhile?

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote:

I think you may have lost track of the conversation at some point

Nintendo would have to be crazy to not localize it considering the sales for Layton alone

• Options
    Green wrote:
    MichaelLC wrote:

I think you may have lost track of the conversation at some point

No, I got it, I was just beating the low-sales joke into the ground.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote:

I may be going on on a limb here, but wouldn't there have to be buzz behind the Wii U for that to happen?

damn.gif

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Not necessarily;PW vs. AA is in Level-5's hands, so it's up to them.

Granted, Capcom is still saying no for Ace Attorney Investigations 2, but that could change at some point.

pariah164 on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Sticks wrote:
    Yea, I don't plan on buying a 3DS any time soon. I'm quite fine with this little gem.
    just out of curiosity, did you ever own that thing? I did.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    I really want the 3DS to do better. But, I don't really want one.

Sometimes, I'm a total shit head that way.

• Options
    ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Aaand the 3DS just got an 80 price cut.

...anybody care? No? Oh well. Nice try, Nintendo.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Options
    Propriety wrote:
    Aaand the 3DS just got an 80 price cut.

...anybody care? No? Oh well. Nice try, Nintendo.

Throwing in 20 free VC games for current owners though

Still stings, but at least they're making the effort to reward early adopters

• Options
    agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The price cut from $250 to $170 takes effect on August 12.

If you have bought or will by a 3DS before the price cut and log into the eShop before August 12 then you will get 20 free Virtual Console games. 10 of them are NES games that you get on September 1, before they are available for purchase. The other 10 are GBA games you'll get before the end of the year. In addition, the GBA VC games are going to be exclusive to this offer and not released anywhere else.

Linky: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/28/current-3ds-owners-eligible-for-free-games/

Edit: damn you Green!

agilemania on
  • Options
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Sticks wrote:

Yes. Yes I did.

I had it and one other that escapes my recollection at the moment. Maybe a ninja turtle one?

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Oh man, thanks for the links about the free games. Glad I checked this thread.

But yeah I've had a 3DS and have not played it in a while.

I think its really poor library is the thing hurting it the most right now.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Sticks wrote:
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Sticks wrote:

Yes. Yes I did.

I had it and one other that escapes my recollection at the moment. Maybe a ninja turtle one?

I had some little LCD-screen games like that when I was a kid. One was Jurassic Park, one was 'Wayne Gretsky vs. Brett Hull Hockey,' and the third was some generic indy racing thing.

I spent an inordinate amount of time with them because they were the only vodka games I was allowed to have.

• Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    Sticks wrote:
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Sticks wrote:

Yes. Yes I did.

I had some little LCD-screen games like that when I was a kid. One was Jurassic Park, one was 'Wayne Gretsky vs. Brett Hull Hockey,' and the third was some generic indy racing thing.

I spent an inordinate amount of time with them because they were the only vodka games I was allowed to have.

Autocorrect("vidja") == "vodka"

I'm guessing.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    Framling wrote:
    Gaslight wrote:
    Sticks wrote:
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Sticks wrote:

Yes. Yes I did.

Autocorrect("vidja") == "vodka"

I'm guessing.

I love teaching my Droid new words.

• Options
    Vodka games sound awesome

• Options
    I play vodka games every weekend; it's not that new.

• Options
    It is for small children.

Well most small children.

• Options
    DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote:
    I'm definitely of the opinion that since the only game out there for the system worth playing is a polished port of Zelda64 most flks are happy to keep playing their DSLite for another year hoping for a redesign or price drop.

The Ghost Recon launch title is one of my favorite games in years

• Options
    Also the Ocarina of Time remake is perfect for me because I never played it.

Not much anyway, I got the gamecube one that came with Wind Waker and only made it to death mountain

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i've only played the demos that came with Super Smash Bros Brawl

• Options
    I want the 3DS brawl to be good.

Make it be good.

Also make starfox be out here already jeez it came out in Japan like a month ago

• Options
    TankHammer wrote:

The Ghost Recon launch title is one of my favorite games in years

The version of Street Fighter that came out for the 3DS is a near flawless port, it must be said.

Of course, control issues. And it's also now "obsolete" since the current mainline game is Arcade Edition.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote:
    Oh man, thanks for the links about the free games. Glad I checked this thread.

But yeah I've had a 3DS and have not played it in a while.

I think its really poor library is the thing hurting it the most right now.

Nintendo pushing its releases back at the request of third parties is the main reason. Zelda and Star fox should have been launch titles as well.

But the DS had a longer drought so Im not worried. There's at least five games that'll be system sellers after September and now the damn things cheaper. Im glad I waited this time around

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Are we allowed to offer constructive criticism of the show in this thread?

Some of the lines seem very forced. They strike me as the kind of thing that works in a lengthy blog post rant, but that doesn't necessarily translate so well to the screen. If nothing else, the delivery could be a little more deliberate (read: slower). It just comes across as a lot of reading-from-the-teleprompter, and while I understand there's really no way to have it look like anything else, making it seem a little more natural couldn't hurt.

Just my two cents.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I imagine at some point people just get sick of buying the new DS, too. It's like the guitar hero burnout. How many of the same thing, slightly tweaked that costs 150+ dollars are people going to buy?

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    to be fair this one isn't the same slight tweak as the lite, i, or iXL were

that said I doubt the general public really gets that

This discussion has been closed.