As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Archittack!

Darken RahlDarken Rahl Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Artist's Corner
I'm putting together some work examples for my application to jobs, figured I might as well share em, so that when I don't get a job, you people can tell me it's cuz I suck. ;)

1_G.jpg

2_G.jpg

3_G.jpg

imtoobigfrenbook.jpg
Darken Rahl on

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dear lord that font has got to go.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Can you (please) refer me to a good portfolio font? I suck at typography,

Darken Rahl on
    imtoobigfrenbook.jpg
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    your work is good, the presentation is meh though.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    -How did you make those trees? I might find that useful (I'm an architecture student)
    -Does a tennis facility really need that much space?
    -The viz quality of the second one is sub par. What software did you use? Even autocad is capable of semi-photorealistic renders nowadays .
    -And what about the rain in the first building? Doesn't it get in? :P

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    1. The dark brown trees are weeds I find in people's yards, typically in overgrown gardens. I dry 'em out, and presto, trees. The light brown trees you can buy at wal mart in the craft section, I tear off the small pieces and use wire to bind the trunks.

2. It's a multi-purpose facility with Tennis as the focus. I added amenities the university was lacking, a soccer field and such.

3. The second one was done before I knew any 3d programs, it was all done through model. These 3 pages are intended to show the diversity of which I am capable of working with. Supposedly.

3. There's a roof, it's glass, it doesn't show very well in downsized images. But good question.

Kewop, I suck at presentation. Always have. It's something I'm striving to get better at. Luckily, a firm has more than one person, with strengths and such.

PLEASE, if my font sucks, tell me a better one?

Darken Rahl on
    imtoobigfrenbook.jpg
  • Options
    MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Use serif fonts. Serif fonts have little "hats and feet" that make the letters stand out.

Some examples are times new roman and arial. couriers are pretty easy to read in print also. Verdana is a sans-serif font that easy is easy to read on the screen, and is gaining a lot of acceptance as a body font in Europe. I'm not too sure what font you are using, and it could be a serif font, but it's to small to make out.

The letters look "smushed" together. Try adding some kerning to space them apart a little. That should do lots for the readability.

Munacra on
  • Options
    ksblairksblair Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Have you talked to your professors about your CV? Essentially your gona wana send out teasers of your work to the firms so they can request more information if they are interested, at which point you send them your actuall portfolio and or meet with them for an interview.

Try to be creative with your portfolio, the design of its packaging itself is gona be a selling point for your work, it can help show that your attention to design detail doesnt just stop at the buildings themselves, but in all your work.

I wont be putting my portfolio together till next semester, but thats just because im a slacker.

ksblair on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    These three are my teaser. My actual portfolio will be 14 pages (7 pages double sided) and in a different format, since 8.5x11 sucks. The only reason Im doing these is because the vast majority of firms want work examples, and I want to maintin consistency if they print them out from the PDF I am sending.

Darken Rahl on
    imtoobigfrenbook.jpg