As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend on: Looking for a whisk(e)y or to commemorate birth{Now with extra D'aw}

mtsmts Dr. Robot KingRegistered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So we are expecting our first child soon and I thought I would pick up a decent bottle of something to commemorate the day and turn it into an heirloom of sorts, and either break it out only on his birthday and other major events with the expectation of passing it on to him at later date or just turn it into a wedding or first child present of his own.

I know I like Glendfidditch, the few bourbons I have had, I wasn't a fan of but would not rule it out

Also not looking to spend bank on this, just want something to age well.

was also thinking, maybe a whiskey to share and a bottle of wine to gift

camo_sig.png
mts on

• Options
    WhacktoseWhacktose Registered User regular
    My parents bought nice bottles of tawny port, which ages extremely well. It works well because you can then break it out on your child's 21st, when it will be in great condition.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yea i thought that too, since i love me some port/madeira

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    Can you get your hands on some of The Good Stuff?

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    I don't believe port ages so well once opened, though. I believe it should be consumed within about 6 months after being opened. It also doesn't improve with age once opened, whereas a whiskey will at least taste the same once opened.

My favorite whiskey at bars is Oban 10yr. At home it's Auchentoshan. Many nicer whiskeys will also come with an attractive metal or paper case/sleeve, so they'll look nice sitting out for years, too.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    Johnny Walker Green Label is good if you like Glennfiddich.

There are plenty of options: Knob Creek, Glenlivet, Blanton's.

Sounds like you're a single barrel drinker.

Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
  • Options
    i didn't particullarly like Knob creek, was a bit too harsh for me, though haven't tried many other bourbons

i think what I want to do is maybe spend approx. 50 for a good bottle of scotch to drink with him, and spend about the same on a good bottle of port to gift for wedding/first born

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Here are a few good approachable single malts to start with - most are around 12yo, and near the $50 level, give or take.

Cragganmore
    Ardbeg
    Aberlour
    Macallan
    Balvenie Doublewood

You can probably get some other recommendations based on those. For my money, my favorite is the first one.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    So Step 1. Marry awesome lady
    Step 2. Knock her up
    Step 3 profit?

I had mentioned my idea to my wife a while ago, and today she surprises me with a present. open it up and see this.

11%2B-%2B1

score

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    etdragonetdragon Registered User regular
    Your wife is pretty awesome. I like Macallan. Maybe I'll get my husband to procure a bottle of something awesome when I give birth in February...

sig.jpg
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    Be sure to store it some place dark if you take it out of the box.

• Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    Be aware that liquor stops aging as soon as it's moved from the barrel to the bottle, so a twelve year scotch you buy today will still be a twelve year scotch twenty-one years from now. That being said, a great many distilleries do make limited runs of specific years, and an unopened bottle of that will go up in price over time as they are consumed and become more and more rare. Also most blended whiskeys such as Johnny Walker add caramel coloring which isn't precisely bad, it doesn't alter the flavor, but does feel a bit disappointing.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    Whacktose wrote:
    My parents bought nice bottles of tawny port, which ages extremely well. It works well because you can then break it out on your child's 21st, when it will be in great condition.

Tawny Ports stop aging once they are bottled. The last a very long time if unopened, but they won't ever be any better than when you first buy them. If you like Porto though, Vintage Portos do continue to age and develop after being in the bottle (not to be confused with Late Bottled Vintages, which also don't really age).

midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Midshipman wrote:
    Whacktose wrote:

Tawny Ports stop aging once they are bottled. The last a very long time if unopened, but they won't ever be any better than when you first buy them. If you like Porto though, Vintage Portos do continue to age and develop after being in the bottle (not to be confused with Late Bottled Vintages, which also don't really age).

Another vote for port. And what Eggy said earlier is true too, which is the downside of port; really need to enjoy it quickly once opened.

Otherwise St. George has a single malt.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Once whisky is in the bottle it's stopped aging. So, it's a bit a pointless to buy a bottle with the intention of hanging on to it.

What you want to do is this. It's amazingly expensive, but if you buy one on your kid's birthday then you'll get a little bottle each year until you finally choose to have it bottled (say on his 18th).

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
    Being from Kentucky I suppose I should suggest a product native to my home state in the form of Bourbon. I'd maybe suggest Woodford Reserve, I actually went to the distillery and the place is really dedicated to relatively speaking small batches of bourbon. If their tour is to be believed there's is the only bourbon that's still made in copper stills.

http://www.woodfordreserve.com/

There are other bourbons available but Woodford is the one my out of state brother-in-law has noted an admiration for.

another option might be Four Roses http://www.fourroses.us/

Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Once whisky is in the bottle it's stopped aging. So, it's a bit a pointless to buy a bottle with the intention of hanging on to it.

What you want to do is this. It's amazingly expensive, but if you buy one on your kid's birthday then you'll get a little bottle each year until you finally choose to have it bottled (say on his 18th).

Here's another alternative, a much smaller barrel that is probably a lot closer to your price range ($50-200) that you can age your own spirits in. This place also does barrels that look like they are a bit cheaper and bigger still, but there's fewer instructions. They seem to assume if you're order a barrel you know what to do with it.

However it does age quicker than the really large casks, but then also the taste improves with use as well - so you might have it going for a couple of years, and then celebrate the birth of his younger sister/borther with the equivalent of a 12 year old whisky, then set it aging again for the next milestone. You'd probably want one of the bigger ones, 10L or more if you can get it.

Course since you can bottle them to stop the aging, you'd actually also get the option to save some of this - so on his 18th birthday you've got a range of whiskeys of different ages and from different milestones, all from the cask you got when he was born.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:

Here's another alternative, a much smaller barrel that is probably a lot closer to your price range ($50-200) that you can age your own spirits in. This place also does barrels that look like they are a bit cheaper and bigger still, but there's fewer instructions. They seem to assume if you're order a barrel you know what to do with it.

However it does age quicker than the really large casks, but then also the taste improves with use as well - so you might have it going for a couple of years, and then celebrate the birth of his younger sister/borther with the equivalent of a 12 year old whisky, then set it aging again for the next milestone. You'd probably want one of the bigger ones, 10L or more if you can get it.

Course since you can bottle them to stop the aging, you'd actually also get the option to save some of this - so on his 18th birthday you've got a range of whiskeys of different ages and from different milestones, all from the cask you got when he was born.

• Options
    Little man decided that since I had my scotch that he was going to get things going and decided to show up 3 weeks early.

299618_2503049334951_1214500434_33030972_1206708548_n.jpg

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    nefyavenefyave Registered User regular
    Congrats!

bannerpa.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    That's a lot of hair!

• Options
    etdragonetdragon Registered User regular
    Oh man I love how chunky his cheeks are! Many congrats to you sir. Babies are fantastic. Enjoy it and god speed with the sleep deprivation.

sig.jpg
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Congrats!

As for the Whiskey ... I'll second the Balvenie Doublewood that was mentioned earlier and I'd also recommend a 16 year old Lagavulin. Nice stuff. Also ... Connemara, it is an Irish Whiskey.