Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The 90's Are ALL THAT

1567810

Posts

  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rane didn't you make the argument the other night that everyone in Avatar is actually a "fictional race" and not people of color.

    well I mean

    if something isn't expressed to out and out take place on earth

    why would our world's idea of race be relevant at all

    Tommy2Hands on
    Cdcniho.jpg
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote:
    That's easy

    Swat Katz

    that and Samurai Pizza Cats

    high_five.jpg

    Ahahaha fucking yesssss

    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    It ain't that it's a cartoon, it's that it's fucking ThunderCats

    There's plenty of awesome animation out there, and even plenty of decent kids shows

    But none of them are the goddamn ThunderCats. Did you not watch the original? It was cheesy as hell, Snarf alone was basically a warcrime, the writing was alternatingly campy and overwrought, and it had goofy-ass voice acting. What on earth would lead you to believe that's gonna spawn a quality piece of storytelling?

    bad argument

    and the existence of the 80s show, which doesn't hold up well at all, does not allow the reboot to get a pass and gloss over basic storytelling because it's a cartoon, or the subject matter, or anything

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] Registered User regular
    Raneados wrote:
    Rane didn't you make the argument the other night that everyone in Avatar is actually a "fictional race" and not people of color.

    no I made the argument that complaining that people in the live action avatar weren't asian was silly because they weren't asian in the cartoon, and that any person of any race should be allowed to play any role as long as it does break the story or the immersion, like straight casting a white child to a black family with no explanation

    I don't feel like making this a thing at all right now.

    I'll just say I disagree.

    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    rane are you arguing that thunder cats takes place in a particularly deep setting

    Cdcniho.jpg
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    s-stop that

    Cdcniho.jpg
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    I did not even come close to saying that

    what

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Raneados wrote:
    It ain't that it's a cartoon, it's that it's fucking ThunderCats

    There's plenty of awesome animation out there, and even plenty of decent kids shows

    But none of them are the goddamn ThunderCats. Did you not watch the original? It was cheesy as hell, Snarf alone was basically a warcrime, the writing was alternatingly campy and overwrought, and it had goofy-ass voice acting. What on earth would lead you to believe that's gonna spawn a quality piece of storytelling?

    bad argument

    and the existence of the 80s show, which doesn't hold up well at all, does not allow the reboot to get a pass and gloss over basic storytelling because it's a cartoon, or the subject matter, or anything

    I'm not saying it gets a "pass," I'm saying that expecting a shit show to get magically remade into a good one is really, really, really, really dumb.

    Like if they announced a remake of The Love Boat and promised to update it for a "modern era" and put Sam Rockwell as the lead, I still wouldn't watch it, because it'd be the goddamn Love Boat.

    I just don't know what exactly you were expecting

  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    I dunno what you guys are talking about Thundercats was a masterpiece of television

    And I'm not saying that because Cheetara made my younger self start liking girls

    wait this isn't the nerd confessions thread

    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Are we seriously having an argument about Thundercats being cheesy

  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Everyone in Avatar knows some variant of martial art

    All Asian people know martial arts


    therefore everyone in avatar is Asian

    Cdcniho.jpg
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    Raneados wrote:
    Rane didn't you make the argument the other night that everyone in Avatar is actually a "fictional race" and not people of color.

    no I made the argument that complaining that people in the live action avatar weren't asian was silly because they weren't asian in the cartoon, and that any person of any race should be allowed to play any role as long as it does break the story or the immersion, like straight casting a white child to a black family with no explanation

    I don't feel like making this a thing at all right now.

    I'll just say I disagree.

    which part?

    or all of it?

    if you disagree with the latter part then HMMMMMMMMMM

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • AntimatterAntimatter Registered User regular
    pooro, drink less

    or drink more

    basically modify your BAC so you aren't grumpy please

  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Raneados wrote:
    I did not even come close to saying that

    what

    it sort of seems like that

    also I found all these snarf slash fics in your sock drawer last week

    please rane talk to us your father and I are worried

    Tommy2Hands on
    Cdcniho.jpg
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    Raneados wrote:
    It ain't that it's a cartoon, it's that it's fucking ThunderCats

    There's plenty of awesome animation out there, and even plenty of decent kids shows

    But none of them are the goddamn ThunderCats. Did you not watch the original? It was cheesy as hell, Snarf alone was basically a warcrime, the writing was alternatingly campy and overwrought, and it had goofy-ass voice acting. What on earth would lead you to believe that's gonna spawn a quality piece of storytelling?

    bad argument

    and the existence of the 80s show, which doesn't hold up well at all, does not allow the reboot to get a pass and gloss over basic storytelling because it's a cartoon, or the subject matter, or anything

    I'm not saying it gets a "pass," I'm saying that expecting a shit show to get magically remade into a good one is really, really, really, really dumb.

    Like if they announced a remake of The Love Boat and promised to update it for a "modern era" and put Sam Rockwell as the lead, I still wouldn't watch it, because it'd be the goddamn Love Boat.

    I just don't know what exactly you were expecting

    "go watch a show for adults" is giving it a pass, it's dismissing it because it's "for kids", it doesn't have to pay attention to basic fundamentals and decent storytelling because it's "for kids", anyone who's watching it and has any problem with it shouldn't be watching it

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I don't understand why people get berated for having high expectations when they want something to be good

  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Guys you know what is awesome?

    Star Wars

    on DVD

    that I'm watching right now

    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    Raneados wrote:
    I did not even come close to saying that

    what

    it sort of seems like that

    also I found all these snarf slash fics in your sock drawer last week

    please rane talk to us your father and I are worried

    well

    uh

    I'm not saying that? read again?

    vov
    what do you want from me, mom?

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Raneados wrote:
    Raneados wrote:
    It ain't that it's a cartoon, it's that it's fucking ThunderCats

    There's plenty of awesome animation out there, and even plenty of decent kids shows

    But none of them are the goddamn ThunderCats. Did you not watch the original? It was cheesy as hell, Snarf alone was basically a warcrime, the writing was alternatingly campy and overwrought, and it had goofy-ass voice acting. What on earth would lead you to believe that's gonna spawn a quality piece of storytelling?

    bad argument

    and the existence of the 80s show, which doesn't hold up well at all, does not allow the reboot to get a pass and gloss over basic storytelling because it's a cartoon, or the subject matter, or anything

    I'm not saying it gets a "pass," I'm saying that expecting a shit show to get magically remade into a good one is really, really, really, really dumb.

    Like if they announced a remake of The Love Boat and promised to update it for a "modern era" and put Sam Rockwell as the lead, I still wouldn't watch it, because it'd be the goddamn Love Boat.

    I just don't know what exactly you were expecting

    "go watch a show for adults" is giving it a pass, it's dismissing it because it's "for kids", it doesn't have to pay attention to basic fundamentals and decent storytelling because it's "for kids", anyone who's watching it and has any problem with it shouldn't be watching it

    yeah but thundercats is most likely not bad because it's "For Kids"


    thundercats is bad because it was never really the best show

    really no one should be watching it

    Cdcniho.jpg
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote:
    I dunno what you guys are talking about Thundercats was a masterpiece of television

    And I'm not saying that because Cheetara made my younger self start liking girls

    wait this isn't the nerd confessions thread

    This thread started off about TeenNick actually being watchable, yet 2 posts in people decided to make it a 90s nostalgia thread, and now it's about fucking Thundercats. At this point, this thread can be whatever you want it to be.

  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Raneados wrote:
    Raneados wrote:
    I did not even come close to saying that

    what

    it sort of seems like that

    also I found all these snarf slash fics in your sock drawer last week

    please rane talk to us your father and I are worried

    well

    uh

    I'm not saying that? read again?

    vov
    what do you want from me, mom?

    I just wanted a normal son not this gay cat son!

    you're being shipped off to Boot Camps tomorrow morning young man!

    Cdcniho.jpg
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    I wanted thundercats to be good, like i want EVERY show to be good, but apparently because it's a show primarily aimed at children, you're not allowed to have an opinion on it

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    Raneados wrote:
    Raneados wrote:
    It ain't that it's a cartoon, it's that it's fucking ThunderCats

    There's plenty of awesome animation out there, and even plenty of decent kids shows

    But none of them are the goddamn ThunderCats. Did you not watch the original? It was cheesy as hell, Snarf alone was basically a warcrime, the writing was alternatingly campy and overwrought, and it had goofy-ass voice acting. What on earth would lead you to believe that's gonna spawn a quality piece of storytelling?

    bad argument

    and the existence of the 80s show, which doesn't hold up well at all, does not allow the reboot to get a pass and gloss over basic storytelling because it's a cartoon, or the subject matter, or anything

    I'm not saying it gets a "pass," I'm saying that expecting a shit show to get magically remade into a good one is really, really, really, really dumb.

    Like if they announced a remake of The Love Boat and promised to update it for a "modern era" and put Sam Rockwell as the lead, I still wouldn't watch it, because it'd be the goddamn Love Boat.

    I just don't know what exactly you were expecting

    "go watch a show for adults" is giving it a pass, it's dismissing it because it's "for kids", it doesn't have to pay attention to basic fundamentals and decent storytelling because it's "for kids", anyone who's watching it and has any problem with it shouldn't be watching it

    yeah but thundercats is most likely not bad because it's "For Kids"


    thundercats is bad because it was never really the best show

    really no one should be watching it

    I'm not talking about the original thundercats, I'm talking about the new one, which is a different show almost entirely

    basically everything except the names of the characters and what type of cat they are is different

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    yeah but thundercats is most likely not bad because it's "For Kids"


    thundercats is bad because it was never really the best show

    really no one should be watching it

    Yeah, this is basically what I'm saying

  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] Registered User regular
    Raneados wrote:
    Raneados wrote:
    Rane didn't you make the argument the other night that everyone in Avatar is actually a "fictional race" and not people of color.

    no I made the argument that complaining that people in the live action avatar weren't asian was silly because they weren't asian in the cartoon, and that any person of any race should be allowed to play any role as long as it does break the story or the immersion, like straight casting a white child to a black family with no explanation

    I don't feel like making this a thing at all right now.

    I'll just say I disagree.

    which part?

    or all of it?

    if you disagree with the latter part then HMMMMMMMMMM

    Well I mean it's a nice thought and I agree in theory.

    But to say three characters who are very much products of their respective cultures, cultures which are all obviously based on a real world equivalent, can be whitewashed without breaking immersion while their entire background (including the race of the goddamn extras) stays the same is just ridiculous.

    Casting a white child as the biological child of black parents is a pretty good example, but on a much smaller and more jarring scale obviously.

    Maybe you're not as sensitive to matters like that, but can you get why some people be annoyed by something like that?

    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    Raneados wrote:
    Raneados wrote:
    Rane didn't you make the argument the other night that everyone in Avatar is actually a "fictional race" and not people of color.

    no I made the argument that complaining that people in the live action avatar weren't asian was silly because they weren't asian in the cartoon, and that any person of any race should be allowed to play any role as long as it does break the story or the immersion, like straight casting a white child to a black family with no explanation

    I don't feel like making this a thing at all right now.

    I'll just say I disagree.

    which part?

    or all of it?

    if you disagree with the latter part then HMMMMMMMMMM

    Well I mean it's a nice thought and I agree in theory.

    But to say three characters who are very much products of their respective cultures, cultures which are all obviously based on a real world equivalent, can be whitewashed without breaking immersion while their entire background (including the race of the goddamn extras) stays the same is just ridiculous.

    Casting a white child as the biological child of black parents is a pretty good example, but on a much smaller and more jarring scale obviously.

    Maybe you're not as sensitive to matters like that, but can you get why some people be annoyed by something like that?

    kind of a shitty snide remark at the end there, VI, dang :(

    I haven't seen the avatar movie, and I was not aware that the extras were all asian, which WOULD be a jarring change if the main characters were white, as it wouldn't make sense and would fall into my "immersion breaking" thing. If they'r literally the only white people from their culture, then it's an immersion break

    but again, the cultures are slightly reminiscent of asian cultures, the bending styles are all reminiscent on asian martial arts, the art is often asian inspired, but that's all because the art directors and artists and animators were basing off what they themselves knew and were basing the setting on asian culture, lots of different asian culture

    I still never look at any of the characters in avatar and go "this guy is asian" and "this guy is white"

    the actual people themselves aren't asian, they're fire/water/air etc, and in the cartoon, different looks of people make up each of the different cultures with lighter and darker skin tones all across the tribes

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] Registered User regular
    Rane didn't you make the argument the other night that everyone in Avatar is actually a "fictional race" and not people of color.

    well I mean

    if something isn't expressed to out and out take place on earth

    why would our world's idea of race be relevant at all

    Well I mean we're the ones creating and viewing it, so to pretend our perspective is irrelevant is silly. When someone sees a Water Tribe scene, they probably aren't going to just see mysterious dwellers of the Artic who wear fur and have brown skin. They're going to see the goddamn Inuit. Because that's what they're heavily based on.

    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    Rane didn't you make the argument the other night that everyone in Avatar is actually a "fictional race" and not people of color.

    well I mean

    if something isn't expressed to out and out take place on earth

    why would our world's idea of race be relevant at all

    Well I mean we're the ones creating and viewing it, so to pretend our perspective is irrelevant is silly. When someone sees a Water Tribe scene, they probably aren't going to just see mysterious dwellers of the Artic who wear fur and have brown skin. They're going to see the goddamn Inuit. Because that's what they're heavily based on.

    But they're not Inuit, they're water tribe

    they're fictional

    you can draw all the parallels you want to, but that's a personal thing

    they're water tribe dudes, all they need is to look like they all could share the same culture through lots of generations, which means a similar look, similar skin tones, somewhat similar builds, and etc

    if you're associated them with inuits, that's your prerogative, but they're not inuits

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Also snarf

    E: That wasn't meant to be snide remark. You might not be particularly sensitive to race issues!

    Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    check it out I found snarf porn

    it's not very sexy

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] Registered User regular
    Oh Rane let's tackle it from the other end.

    Why do you think they felt the need to make that change? Because the actors they got were the best at bringing the characters to life?

    But they decided before seeing any actors that the characters were going to be Caucasian, because that's what the ads they put out requested.

    So why did they feel the need to make the main characters white?

    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Veretas wrote:
    Guys you know what is awesome?

    Star Wars

    on DVD

    that I'm watching right now

    Eh, y'know what? I think I'll watch that too.

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Personally I think appropriating the culture of a group for your characters and then saying "Oh, no, these are totally fictional people and have no basis in the real world unless you choose to see it" is kiiiiiiiiiiiinda racist

  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    guys let's talk about how great Samurai Pizza Cats was

  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Veretas wrote:
    Guys you know what is awesome?

    Star Wars

    on DVD

    that I'm watching right now

    Eh, y'know what? I think I'll watch that too.

    HENROID!!!

    HENROID! SHUT DOWN ALL THE GARBAGE MASHERS ON THE DETENTION LEVEL!

    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Veretas wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Veretas wrote:
    Guys you know what is awesome?

    Star Wars

    on DVD

    that I'm watching right now

    Eh, y'know what? I think I'll watch that too.

    HENROID!!!

    HENROID! SHUT DOWN ALL THE GARBAGE MASHERS ON THE DETENTION LEVEL!

    NOOOO! SHUT THEM ALL DOWN!

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • BerkBerk Registered User regular
    i dont even see colour (*)

    sig-1.jpg
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    Oh Rane let's tackle it from the other end.

    Why do you think they felt the need to make that change? Because the actors they got were the best at bringing the characters to life?

    But they decided before seeing any actors that the characters were going to be Caucasian, because that's what the ads they put out requested.

    So why did they feel the need to make the main characters white?

    I was not actually a part of that casting decision, so I don't know

    it could be a dozen reasons ranging from yep racism to ideas of what would test the best

    just from watching how the characters use the bending styles, we know that nobody paid a huge amount of attention to the show and didn't seem to care much about how it was transferred to the screen, despite what shyamalan says

    it was a cash grab from start to finish, and what seems most likely is that they picked either generic actors or then-good standing actors to test as well as they could in the market and maximize profits

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    Berk wrote:
    i dont even see colour (*)

    berk stop making light of my medical conditions boo hoo

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    "I'm a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Aldaraan!"

    What should have happened at this point was, "Your crew fired on us when we were boarding your ship, that doesn't help your story in the slightest."

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
Sign In or Register to comment.