As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Car loan/contract troubles

mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour CrrmEast Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, so I'm having a bit of trouble here. I recently (last week) bought a car at a Honda dealership and added some options onto the car itself, along with some extended warranty stuff. After talking it over with my family, we've come to the conclusion that some of the things we got aren't really all that necessary.

When we went back to the dealership, they said they can let us cancel the warranty and stuff, but won't let us remove anything that we said we want added to the car (hardware stuff). Their reason was that they had already ordered the parts, so they won't let us cancel anything. Is that something that they can do? I mean, I guess it kind of makes sense, but it's not like it's been put on the car yet - they haven't called to make the appointment to get the options added on either.

The other issue we're having is that we weren't given a full price breakdown of all the options we got. My personal opinion is that it's our fault for not asking and we should deal with it, but the rest of my family is stubborn and says we should still argue to get it taken off because we weren't told in the first place.

I guess my questions here are:

-Is it possible to cancel add-on options for a car after they've ordered the parts? They have not actually done the service yet, but they are saying that we cannot remove it from the contract because they've already put the order in.

-And in a more moral sense, should I just be taking the fact that we weren't explicitly told the full price lying down, or should I be fighting to get the contended items removed because of that? True, if I was told the price beforehand I probably wouldn't have bought those options, but I feel that that was entirely my responsibility to double-check all of that before I signed the papers.

In case anyone is wondering, the actual items we want removed are interior/exterior protection crap and an alarm that goes with it. These were added on by the person handling our finance, not the car salesperson. And yea, I know I should have done a whole bunch of stuff before I signed the papers, but what's done is done, and I'm just trying to see what I can do to mitigate my costs here.

mightyjongyo on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Did you already sign?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Yea, everything has already been signed. We're trying to see what we can and can't cancel. All of the "service" stuff like warranties, gap insurance, and the like can be canceled, so that's fine. The real issue is the options added to the car - interior protection coating, car alarm, splash guards, etc. and whether or not those can be removed from the contract since they haven't actually been put on the car yet, and since (for some of those items) we weren't explicitly told the price.

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    They can't make you let them put the stuff on the car, but I doubt you can get out of paying for it when a contract has been signed.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Yea, I figured that would be the case. I couldn't really find anything on the subject though, so I thought I'd ask here to check. Thanks.

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    Who is going to be your lien holder? You can always just not accept the vehicle and tell your financial institution. Check with them first though.