As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Internet / Router Problem

ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello everyone,

I've noticed a sudden problem with my internet, and it's driving me nuts.

The problem is, basically, that my internet has become very slow and intermittent. For short bursts of time, it seems to be working fine, and at other times (within just a couple of minutes), Gmail and Youtube (for example) struggle to load. I've bought a couple of items from iTunes and the downloads have been brutal when normally they'd be quick.

I'm on a MacBook connecting to wireless from a Linksys WRT54GL. I also connect to the internet with my iPad and iPhone, and those actually seem to be fine EXCEPT for one thing: I bought some items from ComiXology on my iPad, and those downloads took forever.

So, I'm not really sure what the issue is, and I'm not positive I know how to describe it any better. I assume it's perhaps an issue with the router given the issue on the iPad, but... maybe that was just a weird simultaneous ComiXology bug? Agh, I hate internet problems.

Does anyone have advice as to some steps I can take to further diagnose what's wrong and fix it? I tried to bypass the router entirely just for kicks by connecting the computer directly to the cable modem, and I actually couldn't get that to work either -- I'm concerned it might be because I still have some old settings saved from back when I was in college and needed to set some things up to connect to the internet in my dorm, but I don't really know how to reset those settings, either...

Everything was absolutely fine, connection-wise, until just a couple of days ago. Nothing to my knowledge happened or changed that would affect my service.

Sorry to be such a mess! I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

pygsig.png
Zeromus on

• BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    WRT54GL? First, and most important question: Do you have Tomato or DD-WRT installed yet? If not, do that. Stock WRT54G(S/L) firmare is shit and simply installing third-party firmware will solve like 90% of instability issues. I prefer Tomato, myself.

• ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    I don't, so I'll try that when I get home. The Linksys router has been a pain in the ass and I'm considering dropping the money for the AirportExpress since my girlfriend and I use Mac products extensively anyway, but I'd like to get this straightened out for now if I can...

pygsig.png
    The hardware isn't bad at all. Aside from an old tower that I turned into a router a long time ago, the WRT54GL + Tomato has been the only thing to stand up to years of abuse (the huge connection swarms of Linux distro torrents, HD streaming, 2-5 computers plus consoles, etc.). There's a reason it's one a laughably large number of user-choice awards on newegg.

Aside from the firmware, though, do you have any idea why it might be giving us problems suddenly? It really was fine until just this weekend.

pygsig.png
    Do you live in an apartment? If not, how close are you to your neighbors?
    What temperature is the room in which you keep the router?

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    It's probably a neighboring wi-fi network using a channel that's the same or close to the channel your router is on.

Did you bother to change it from the default? Have you taken a look at what channels nearby routers are on?

edited August 2011
    BoomShake wrote:
    Do you live in an apartment? If not, how close are you to your neighbors?
    What temperature is the room in which you keep the router?

Apartment, and I guess the room is, uh, sorta toasty?

And I haven't changed the channel, I'll try that when I'm home from work. Sorry, I'm a complete nitwit when it comes to this.

Edit: Okay, got back from work, installed Tomato, had a brief scare when it wasn't renewing the WAN information, fixed that, changed the channel (love that it displays the networks around you that have the strongest signal on a given channel), and things seem to be going alright right now. I'll check back in if it goes to shit so you guys can save me again, but I really appreciate it so far. :P

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png