As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Comics: New Universe, New Readers

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    yup. Marvel has been incredibly smart about picking up indy writers and either allowing them to keep image books they have under contract or getting them on the icon line.

Marvel are good at picking up indie writers overall. Most of their big names, even. it's put them in a much better position than DC, I think, who have some flagship talent and then a lot of guys who aren't that good.

• Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    someone explain to me what marvel books to pick up at the store tomorrow

• Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    Perhaps the time has come for me to read Batman comic books.

Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    someone explain to me what marvel books to pick up at the store tomorrow

what do you like

Thor and T-Bolts are both pretty fantastic

The new Daredevil by Waid is great, and the new Moon Knight by Bendis is pretty solid too

Solar on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    so what about that crisis and the 52 weeks and all that? did that fail so they're doing this reboot now?

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    HoleHole Registered User regular
    I love not understanding comics, and the fact that there is so much to not understand. Question : Isn't batman's main difference the fact that he is a darker, more asocial, lone wolf kind of superhero, psychotically reluctant to work with others, or something like that ? Doesn't a whole batman family or a batman corporation completely defeat this point ? Or do I keep getting the characters completely wrong ?

Yes, I'm still occasionally puzzled by the robin itself, but at least this was some disciple shaman thing that kept them outcasts, now there's a whole hogwarts of them, which sounds just as social as that justice league community. For a while, the summaries I read feel a bit unbatmany, but I'm not the one to know what is or isn't batmany, so I wonder how fans feel about this.

• Options
    Batman Inc is one of the best things to happen to Batman in recent years. He's grim and difficult at times, but Batman appreciates how even he needs help in the field from time to time, and Bruce Wayne actually having a family is great because while they are dysfunctional they do love and need each other really. Batman as a loner is kind of boring because he never really speaks to people, Batman with Robin and Nightwing and Batgirl and Oracle and so on is much better and more interesting.

I mean, it's not like he is definined by his indepedance and he certainly isn't psychotic or mad, no matter what Frank Miller might want to be the case. He is definined by his sense of justice more than anything else, and that doesn't mitigate having multiple partners at all. After all, he has worked with the JLA for years, is close friends with many of it's members, why shouldn't he want to expand Batman to be able to do more good in the world?

• Options
    HoleHole Registered User regular
    I thought all superheroes were sharing that "sense of justice" (defining them collectively, but not distinguishing them from each others), and that, within this, the "solitary brooding" thing was what defined him more specifically. Having a crowd of Batmen sounded a bit like having an army of The Lone Riders.

But yeah, I guess you can only go so far, in plots and developments, with just one character. And indeed, one complain I have with Batman and such is how repetitive his adventures are - which is probably more the case when he's isolated. So I guess this development makes sense - a bit like the very solitary Dirty Harry always having to team up with a partner, for the movie's sake, even if he defines himself by his refusal of partners. But... for instance I had felt that the Lethal Weapon films had lost their whole point once the Gibson character had ceased to be a manic-depressive suicidal cop and found himself an increasing "family". They became more generic action movies. So, I was wondering about the impact of this family/corporation on whatever sets Batman apart from the other superheroes.

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    heres what i've taken away from the DC relaunch

Pants

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    there's your amazing status quo change

enjoy your pants

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Macro9 wrote:

Yellow does go much better with my skin tone than red

• Options
    Batman is pretty brooding

But have you ever noticed hwo you can't brood without other people around to notice?

Characters like Robin are important because they allow us to see how Batman interacts with other people, which tells us a lot about the character. Hell, consider that in comic books Batman has the best known sidekick ever, that should show just how little Batman is about being alone. If Batman was alone, he might go over the edge, just like anyone else, he needs people and those people are his surrogate family.

so while Batman is kind of brooding (I prefer it when this isn't played up but whatever) he isn't very solitary and actually has quite a large support network of family and friends to keep him at his best in and out of the suit. Batman Inc is a great idea because it's about Bruce Wayne coming back from the dead (or so it seemed) and saying "we are not doing enough, we need to start expanding," which is cool.

And then you had Batman and Catwoman hanging out and getting busy between fighting villains, and various superheroes from around the world being sworn into Batman inc and so on, and it's very cool. I'm glad it is sticking around after the reboot, I hope that Bats and Cat are still together.

• Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    Hey comic thread!

I've been slowly getting into comics. First I read all of Scott Pilgrim, then I read some other indie comics, and I picked up the first little book of Fables. I haven't read that yet though.

This OP is super helpful and I will for sure use it in the future when I wanna know what to buy. Wonderwoman's series sounds cool. MYTHIC STUFF

• Options
    Sara if you want to read comics that are independant like Scott Pilgrim and so on then may I suggest Atomic Robo

I only say it because it isn't mentioned in the OP but if Blank was here he would recommend it

• Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    also everyone should read Anya's Ghost

all of you

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Atomic Robo is very good!

And to everyone who being bitter about the reboot not being different enough or how it came to be are being gooses. Could it be more committing to change? Sure! Are there creators who didnt get jobs they would have been great at? Yes, several I like! But at the end of the day there are dozens of comics coming out that will probably be fantastic and that's all I read comics for: good stories.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    won't lie the DC reboot is probably what will get me back into a comic shop buyin' shit

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    why bother going to the comic shop

you can get it all digitally!

• Options
    i thought about going that route but i like visiting comic shops

also holding things

• Options
    This makes me really want to get a tablet, but they're so expensive

The Nook Color is pretty cheap (well, compared to other tablets) but it's small

• Options
    Solar wrote:
    Positivity has been hard in the face of DC's silly decisions regarding this reboot

But it is possible

Just don't think about Batgirl too much

This is probably why they put Babs back as Batgirl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW3qrdfRj04

• Options
    i have an ipad, it's actually really nice for reading comics

what can i say, i just want to breathe that musty body odor haze once more

• Options
    To me it really comes down to books being more pleasant on the eye when printed than on a screen

Until screens can match up to a printed product, I'll keep buying trades and so on.

Besides I have lent my Annihlation, Nova and Guardians to my buddies and let my brothers read any of my trades they like, and it's got quite a few people I know a little more interested in comics, which is good, and I can't do that with a digital copy.

• Options
    I mean, you know I love Stephanie and Cassandra, but I don't mind Babs being back as Batgirl now. If it wasn't Gail Simone writing it, I might be scared, but I love her and her stuff

I just hope someone actually uses Steph and Cass, especially since Cass just started getting used again.

• Options
    Solar wrote:
    To me it really comes down to books being more pleasant on the eye when printed than on a screen

Until screens can match up to a printed product, I'll keep buying trades and so on.

I actually like reading them on the screen more than I do on paper, now. At least on my MacBook Pro (scoff)

It works out better for me on screen because on paper I'm always trying to keep myself from reading ahead or peaking at the next page and I always do anyway and on the computer I can't do that without clicking

I hope it gets to a point where they start to utilize the digital comics format instead of just basically being scans

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Keith I have seen that and it is pretty good (wish it wasn't CG though), but it could just as easily be Steph in that outfit and Oracle giving support.

Basically, Oracle is a fantastic character that has done really well and and is (or so I hear) a real inspiration to disabled kids who has been ditched so that Babs can be Batgirl again, which is completely stupid because it's not like Babs was particularly special or great as Batgirl. Steph is far superior, and the Batgirl/Oracle dynamic in the recent books has been great, hell the Oracle character overall has been great in stuff like JLA, but now she's gone.

I just don't get why they would throw that away. Like, with Barry Allen, some people have a hard-on for the Silver Age, OK. But who really longs for the days when Batgirl was a redhead? Nobody, to be honest. She had put that behind her, and bringing it back out is one of the stupidest creative decisions I have ever seen.

Solar on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    yup. Marvel has been incredibly smart about picking up indy writers and either allowing them to keep image books they have under contract or getting them on the icon line.

this right here is pretty much the main reason why I really don't care that much about the DC reboot

all the writers who I actually want to read are still all writing at marvel. None of the "new 52" creative teams are very exciting to me.

Plus I think 52 #1s in a month is a fucking horrible idea, they should space that shit out. Half of these books will be dead in a year.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote:
    Plus I think 52 #1s in a month is a fucking horrible idea, they should space that shit out. Half of these books will be dead in a year.

Yeah but that's true of half the books launched ever these days

• Options
    Solar wrote:
    Keith I have seen that and it is pretty good (wish it wasn't CG though), but it could just as easily be Steph in that outfit and Oracle giving support.

I think the CGI actually looks pretty slick. Definitely better than the Green Lantern preview.

But I don't think it would work with Steph as Batgirl. For one thing, Barbara is the only Batgirl featured outside of comics ever. And the whole thing with Stephanie as Batgirl is that she was proving to everyone and herself that they were wrong about her. She's proven that she's not a sidekick and could operate without being "a bat".

Unless you're suggesting a high school based show about Stephanie as Batgirl and featuring Tim as Robin and there's teenage drama along with quick witted catty dialogue between girls and maybe some smooches yes I'll watch that show

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Why yes Keith

that is exactly the show I am suggesting

See Steph is great (like all good superheroes) because she takes regualar issues, in her case a lack of confidence and feelings of being overlooked, and expands them on a large scale so they can really be explored through the medium of people in capes punching each other. Those feelings of insecurity and so on are often held by teenage girls at school, so putting Steph in school as a teenage Batgirl with Tim Drake and so on is a good idea, and what Batgirl should be.

Solar on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    I'm alright with this reboot. It doesn't touch on Batman Inc, which i love dearly, so thats good

Won't really affect whats in my box. Will probably end up picking up all the batbooks, teen titans and the legion books, and stormwatch and grifter, because I love the old wildstorm universe and still mourn for it ending. and that was basically my dc box before the reboot, so hohum

if there's any that sound interesting, i'll pick up the trades down the road.

and i'm still picking up most of the vertigo books, ultimate universe books, and a few handful of marvel/x-men stuff, so hopefully it streamlines my box a bit? i hope.

also, i want them to do a series based around stephanie batgirl and tim robin going to high school like y'alls suggested in the same style of spider-man loves mary jane, a series which i looooved

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    They should have a program where if you buy each issue of a series during the month it comes out (digitally), you can get the trade for cheaper

• Options
    i wish there was a way to get a digital copy if you pick up a single from the shop, but pulling that off would be impossible. kinda like dvds now having free digital copies. nice to have it on the go, especially considering how perfect ipads are for reading comics

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I wish day and date digital stuff wasn't full cover price

that is silly

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    lostwords wrote:
    i wish there was a way to get a digital copy if you pick up a single from the shop, but pulling that off would be impossible. kinda like dvds now having free digital copies. nice to have it on the go, especially considering how perfect ipads are for reading comics

They're doing it with JLA

It costs a dollar more. They polybag them with a code inside

I think they also have their own variant covers, too

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    I am probably going to still be getting more Marvel stuff even after the reboot

But right now I get very little DC stuff and that will increase

• Options
    humm, thats a step in the right direction! but having it cost more and being for a book i'm not interested in makes me go boo

• Options
    I love the JLA but I don't think anything will compare to my love of the Morrison/Kelly/Waid stuff of the late 90's and early 2000s. Those stories to me define the JLA and are probably the best superteam stories ever written.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    so how many people who don't already read these comics are actually going to start now because of a half-hearted reboot

realistically

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Seven

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
This discussion has been closed.