As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indy Games

FlayFlay Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Social Entropy++
IndjAtln.png

Indy games Indie Games

There have been a lot of interesting things going on in the indie games sector recently. Perhaps most notably is Bastion, a hack-and-slash RPG with a beautiful art style and apparently very good writing. I haven't played this yet, but I've pre-ordered it on steam, and I'm pretty excited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX48y24t9iU

The music is also very pretty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8cELTdtw6U

Only yesterday, The End was released. It's a free, online game that can be described as a mashup of puzzle-platformer, collectable card came, personality quiz and philisophical discussion. Uh, maybe this trailer will explain it better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmQAbpw_anc

Nope, not really, but give it a shot anyhow! I can attest it's really very good, and the art is fantastic.

Yesterday I also spied a preview for an interesting game on Kotaku called The Witness. This is another game that's a bit difficult to explain, but it's essentially about developing a puzzle 'grammar' as you progress, which allows you to solve harder puzzles as you learn more. It also has the atmosphere of Myst and is made by the guy who created Braid, so I'm excited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN4q2dtxkHk

There's also Owlboy, which released a new trailer a couple of days back. I'll let the trailer speak for itself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkwgJK88Ajs

Flay on

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    the witness looks gorgeous

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    oh boy I just got the Humble Indie Bundle and haven't played annnyytthiinngg

I should install Braid

or play Catherine

...I basically want to play games about bad relationships and puzzle platforming!

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    Squall wrote:
    the witness looks gorgeous

At the moment it feels like what would happen if Myst and Mirror's Edge had some sort of love-child, which is not a bad thing at all.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    I am excited about more gorgeous pixel art games

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    I love indiana jones

• Options
    Also, I really like Witness's lighting, but I hope the textures and objects look different in the final

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    I'm still looking forward to Spy Party.

• Options
    Tam wrote:
    Also, I really like Witness's lighting, but I hope the textures and objects look different in the final

yepyepyep

• Options
    @Tam: did you see Jamestown? It is also very pretty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk7UERiO3t4

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Fez looks cool, but it seems like it's been in development foreeeever and I'm worried it will never see an actual release.

If anyone here likes westernized bullet hell shooters and also light elements of steampunk and farcical alternate histories wherein Mars is colonized instead of America, you owe it to yourselves to check out Jamestown, on Steam

You probably won't get more than a few hours of gameplay out of it, but it's a pretty cool little experience. And for the size of the game, the music is suuuper good

Edit: goddamn you Flay

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    whats up with this From Dust game i have heard about

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    does terraria count

because I just got done playing a little of that and ugh I love terraria

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Flay that does look pretty and shooters like that always look baller, but I am sooooooo bad at them

• Options
    edited August 2011
    terraria totes counts

@Clint Eastwood shaboom

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote:

I should install Braid

or play Catherine

...I basically want to play games about bad relationships and puzzle platforming!

I've been playing a lot of the humble indie bundle games recently. Most of them are pretty good!

vvvvvv is surprisingly good and has really good music (but it also gets pretty frustrating in places)

faits.png
  • Options
    Tam wrote:
    Flay that does look pretty and shooters like that always look baller, but I am sooooooo bad at them

I'm pretty terrible at them too, but I'm told this is a pretty good entry-level one. I should ask my friend who's nuts over Touhou and Ikaruga.

• Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    I've had some fun with Desktop Dungeons but it am thinking I have it "figured out" so I am losing interest

DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    dear god Ikaruga
    sweet merciful Christ that game is evil

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    faits wrote:
    YaYa wrote:

I should install Braid

or play Catherine

I've been playing a lot of the humble indie bundle games recently. Most of them are pretty good!

vvvvvv is surprisingly good and has really good music (but it also gets pretty frustrating in places)

installing everything now

of course once I do that I'm just gonna go start Catherine

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    don't forget Fez!

E: a better video

This is never actually coming out.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular

God game where you move around earth/water/lava to complete puzzles for the people in your game.

It looks fun, I'm getting it soon

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    Little pots.

mkc.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Welp, just bought the soundtrack to Bastion because upon hearing that song in the OP I realized I couldn't live my life without it

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Tam wrote:

I'm also really bad at them, and I bought it mainly for the setting and art style. The game has 5 difficulty levels, and although you are eventually forced to play through all the levels on the 3rd setting if you want to see the entire story, it's actually pretty manageable. As in, I finished each level in my first playthrough (using all available credits at times). After I beat the game I bumped it up to the 4th difficulty, at which point it started getting crazy, and it also has a bunch of bonus challenges that are straight up whack, but you can see all the good bits with just a little bit of "gamer" talent and practice.

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    Welp, just bought the soundtrack to Bastion because upon hearing that song in the OP I realized I couldn't live my life without it

holy heck

• Options
    Houk wrote:
    Tam wrote:

I'm also really bad at them, and I bought it mainly for the setting and art style. The game has 5 difficulty levels, and although you are eventually forced to play through all the levels on the 3rd setting if you want to see the entire story, it's actually pretty manageable. As in, I finished each level in my first playthrough (using all available credits at times). After I beat the game I bumped it up to the 4th difficulty, at which point it started getting crazy, and it also has a bunch of bonus challenges that are straight up whack, but you can see all the good bits with just a little bit of "gamer" talent and practice.

Houk I have like -5 gamer talents
    what do I do

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Speaking of shooters, everyone should download Genetos. It's a game where both your ship and the gameplay itself "evolves". So you start out with Space Invaders and end with Japanese bullet-hell. It's also free.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I love

indie games.

broken image link
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Squall wrote:
    Didgeridoo wrote:

holy heck

I cannot tell if this means you think the track is not very good, or that you have also realized your existence is not complete without it

I hope it's the latter!

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    Tam wrote:
    Houk wrote:
    Tam wrote:

Houk I have like -5 gamer talents
    what do I do

Practice just a little bit more to get up to 0.

But seriously, if you're on the fence it's hard for me to totally recommend it. I'm bad at shooters and it wasn't too punishing, but it is a really short game, and a lot of the extra levels are talent-locked so I will never pass them. But the art style is also really awesome, the music is stellar, and the concept is silly enough to work really well.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Jamestown is so damn good

and as for the difficulty, I was never able to get past the third stage in ikaruga, but I finished jamestown on either the 3/5 or 4/5 difficulty setting

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Owlboy looks like a game I would like to play.

In other news I played Trauma for a bit on its site and I don't know what to think of it.

I really don't.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    When I bought the Humble Bundle 3, the average paid was around $10 for the five games.

Now there are 12 games and the average is $5.82.

What the fuck people.

• Options
    SenorTacosSenorTacos Registered User regular
    Zeno Clash was a fun game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX0jxT03x3U

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    That looks pretty cool.
    I'm surprised it's never been on my radar.
    I'm going to have to check it out sometime soon.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    Squall wrote:
    Didgeridoo wrote:

holy heck

I cannot tell if this means you think the track is not very good, or that you have also realized your existence is not complete without it

I hope it's the latter!

it is really good

• Options
    Artreus wrote:

God game where you move around earth/water/lava to complete puzzles for the people in your game.

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on it too. It's supposedly a spiritual successor to Populous, but I've never played it so I couldn't really compare the two.

• Options
    Flay wrote:
    Artreus wrote:

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on it too. It's supposedly a spiritual successor to Populous, but I've never played it so I couldn't really compare the two.

it's also not an indie game AT ALL YOU ARE BREAKING THE RULES OF THE THREAD

nah but for real, it looks awesome and i'm so glad i just bought new computer parts so i will have a desktop capable of running it

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    don't forget Fez!

E: a better video

This is never actually coming out.

Every so often--usually a couple times a year--I'll remember seeing a little gameplay video of Fez back when it was first being shown, and I'll wonder if it's out yet.

Then I'll check Wikipedia and find that, no, it's still in development.

IKknkhU.gif