As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Comic Thread for Wednesday 8/10/11

TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Social Entropy++
i-4d947Qz-L.jpg

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
TheLawinator on

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    ok that tycho-leona

that fucking tycho-leona

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Is this about another game I only know next to nothing about?

(guessing DotA?)

Blake T on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    league of legends

so you are pretty close

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Would have expected Tycho to look more like Harridan.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I know even less about league of legends.

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    I think if you kill another player's hero you get some money, so the issue here is that some people will grief by just dying to the other team therefore giving them lots of money as well as being useless to the team they're already on. So yeah.

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Killing another hero nets you a lot of experience, which is basically the most valuable commodity in these games. "Feeding" is when you die a lot, giving the enemy team a lot of experience - early game feeding leads to one sided games that it's generally hard to fight back from.

Griefing is silly.

• Options
    Ok, browsing through this, I'm presuming Tycho is Leona, but which character is Gabe playing?

• Options
    The Truffle ShuffleThe Truffle Shuffle Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    The Truffle Shuffle on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:

(guessing DotA?)

Honestly, most of the joke comes across without knowing anything about the genre. It's just the first panel that doesn't make much sense, since you need to know what "feeding" is to get the buffet comment. Though, that's mentioned in the second panel so maybe it'd make sense in hindsight.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    This comic is relevant to my irritations.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Also can I just shout out the title? I love puns. Puns about '30s Leading Men even more so.

Especially leading men that had a tendency to be cast in roles that would facilitate him dressing in white tie and tails. And top hats.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    This comic is superb.

• Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'd say 70% of the LoL community is good at that little side game.

Or maybe that's the game for them. The whole game. All of it.

That would explain so much.

• Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    if you can't laugh at terrible nerds getting incredibly angry about inconsequential shit then league of legends probably isn't the game for you

• Options
    ackack Registered User regular
    lets lol

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    Problem is he's Wukong.

And he isn't playing HoN.

That's the big issue.

• Options
    ackack Registered User regular
    i played HoN again for the first time in forever

i miss single draft but dats about it

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Garthor wrote:
    Blake T wrote:

(guessing DotA?)

Honestly, most of the joke comes across without knowing anything about the genre. It's just the first panel that doesn't make much sense, since you need to know what "feeding" is to get the buffet comment. Though, that's mentioned in the second panel so maybe it'd make sense in hindsight.

Lanes also have no context outside of driving, bowling, and apparently LoL

but the word "griefers" gives enough context to make panel 3 funny, so it's okay!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    Is LoL like the new WoW? Everyone and their mom plays it and there are a lot of retards?

I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    5v5 match, where players start at level one and try to gain experience to level up, and gold to buy equipment, as they fight they way into and destroy the other team's base.

minions spawn from each team's base and follow three paths: top lane, middle lane, and bottom lane. so this is where the 5v5 usually happens. 2v2 top, 1v1 mid, and 2v2 bottom. you can walk around wherever, but this is usually how it's fought, since you can kill those other team's minions in those lanes for experience and gold.

killing players of the other team also grants you experience and gold. if someone keeps dieing to the other team, it's as if they are feeding them experience and gold. so they are called feeders.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I thought this was going to be about yesterday's Federal Reserve report and how it caused stocks to surge, and I was like 'wait, are they seriously making a political comic', and then I read it and was trying to figure out what the fuck it had to do with money.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I liked that, after that one patch, if you fed yourself enough you'd be worth less than a creep to kill. (and the max gold for breaking a streak was downed from 1000 to 500)

Trololol split push meta go.

Riot Games, great at balance.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Why I don't play LoL or DotA.

• Options
    They're great games 40-90% of the time, which is about as often as most other multiplayer games where you play against other people. Co-op games tend a bit higher, maybe into the 65-95% range to me. I'm sure it's different for everyone, so ...

Feeders gonna feed. At the level of matchmaking I am in in LoL or in HoN I would be very surprised to run into anybody intentionally feeding, which is to say nothing of people who don't intend to feed but feed because they suck really, really hard.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    wait if feeding is letting your opponent kill you to fuck over your own team how do you feed yourself

unless you're feeding yourself (to someone else)

• Options
    wait if feeding is letting your opponent kill you to fuck over your own team how do you feed yourself

unless you're feeding yourself (to someone else)

Yeah, you just wander into the enemies and die. For killing you, they get gold (which tapers off unless said feeder gets a kill) and sweet, delicious experience.

It's a nuisance, and a good reason to have concede votes (and kick votes! but LoL doesn't have those)

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    this is a birthday comic

for me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Man 40 to 90 percent is a pretty huge margin.

Less than half to almost always great games!

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Langly wrote:

When your margin of error is 50%, it's time to rethink your experiment.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I had kinda forgotten about all the comics that has Gabe and Tycho as game characters. When was the last time there was one of those?

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Peewi wrote:
    I had kinda forgotten about all the comics that has Gabe and Tycho as game characters. When was the last time there was one of those?

June.

i-B2C3Rr8-L.jpg

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    yeah when did lol become so popular

• Options
    But sometimes they're actually portrayed as their characters, not as Gabe and Tycho dressed up to look like their characters. Like this one:
    20050812h.jpg

• Options
    Langly wrote:

Depends on the day, I guess.

Some days you lose a few games in a row and they're kinda crappy games.

Some days you win almost all of them or have a really good time overall.

It's erratic and that's part of the nature of it. It isn't a guaranteed good time but it can be a good time. The 'percentage' was a personal measure of the function of fun had in the course of playing such games. As I said, PvP-esque games tend to have wide variance (getting spawncamped in RTCW? 10% fun, Dropping an airstrike on 18 dudes in RTCW? 100% fun! etc.)

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    This is the game with the 8 year old character neckbeards have made creepy erotic fanart of right?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    This is a game with an 8 year old character neckbeards have made creepy erotic fanart of right?

Fixed that for you.

• Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Hey there pretty lady - oh my g ... y-your face, what happened to your face!?

EDIT: What I mean to say is that it took me a while to realize that was Tycho in drag. Now a I feel a little ... confused.

kingworks on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote:

June.

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-B2C3Rr8/0/L/i-B2C3Rr8-L.jpg

I guess maybe I'm just bad at remembering.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    kingworks wrote:
    Hey there pretty lady - oh my g ... y-your face, what happened to your face!?

EDIT: What I mean to say is that it took me a while to realize that was Tycho in drag. Now a I feel a little ... confused.

Well that's not really Tycho in drag, per se

That's his head on a woman's body

I'm not sure what to call that ... Ranma1/2itis?

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
This discussion has been closed.