As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Maturity and how it relates to fun

AngelofVengeanceAngelofVengeance Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
Not sure if this belongs here or the Debate section. But i'll put it here because it primarily relates to video games.

Now, i'm sure most people here will realise that Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, was a really fun game. Yeah so the graphics were cell-shaded, yeah so everything wasn't brown, drab and with a little light bloom. It was still a fun game. Now, many people I know often say, and I quote "Wind Waker is a kiddy game for fucking First Graders, how can you play that shit?" Umm, what is so wrong about playing a game with, ahem, colour in it. So, they claim that Wind Waker wasn't a "Mature" enough game for them because you don't blow people's brains out with a 12-gauge in it. So what is mature, and how does a game full of blood, guts and sex make it any more fun. Yeah there have been violent games that were a lot of fun, take Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, Call of Duty 2, Counter-Strike, etc. But can't a game be fun without having to be violent? Anyways, I may not be the sharpest tool in the box but even I know that real maturity isn't just blood, gore and sex.

So what's you guys' opinion? Does a game have to be bloody to be fun? Or can it be fun in somewhat more... innocous ways.

AngelofVengeance on

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    There is a period of pubescence when people try to distance themselves from "kiddy" things, trying to feel older than they are. Eventually this passes and those inhibitions are shed.

Now, grownups who are like this? Beats me.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • EuphoriaEuphoria Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    do these same zelda haters also piss on twilight princess?

maybe they view the cel-shading as a desecration to the series...like..a few people I know

Euphoria on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Euphoria wrote: »

maybe they view the cel-shading as a desecration to the series...like..a few people I know
    True fans would accept that it's still a fun game, and the graphics aren't what's important.

Gorilla Salad on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I like all kinds of stories, whether they're light or dark... but lately I've gotten fond of the darker content.

I think I like when a storyline isn't afraid to hold back on mature or controversial content because of limitations.

I can enjoy a carefree story as much as the next person, but the more severe subjects are what really strike a chord with me, like in FFT, Vagrant Story, Nocturne, etc.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think there is a point at which the look of a game can hinder one's enjoyment of it without them being a retard-it's a big part of a game. That said, dismissing stuff due to "kiddyness" is pretty silly, we were all kids at some point, and why not revisit that mentality here and there.

Darlan on
  • AngelofVengeanceAngelofVengeance Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Yeah they do actually. Like I said, they piss on everything where they can't ruin something's shit with an AK-47. They seem to think that Simple Fun isn't really fun.

AngelofVengeance on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A gameś sense of style and aesthetic can make a big difference. Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption was a pretty bad RPG, but many of my friends could not stop playing it because they got engrossed in the atmosphere (as opposed to VtM:Bloodlines which kicked all sorts of asses with steel-toed wingtips).

But I cannot recall a situation where a good game with a style I did not care for put me off. The closest to that was GTA:San Andreas because I hate hiphop and gangsta culture (the fact that I go to school close to Baltimore and have gangbangers mugging people on campus occasionally influences my opinion just a bit) but that just made me wish the game had a setting I enjoyed more and was still the first GTA I ever actually finished storywise.

I definately think the aversion to so called kiddy games and styles is a phase tied with adolescence. Gamers in their twenties grew up with 8-bit games. When you played games that look primative by todayś standards, say by having the player character in an RPG represented by an @ symbol, it can be easy to overlook presentation if the core is good.

Now, there is also a different aversion to overmarketing towards kids that turns many adult gamers from franchises like Pokemon, but that is another subject.

Likewise, the Zelda fangirls I know that happened to be teenagers when they first saw adult Link . . . .

PS. Curse this crappy lab computer that will not let me consistently use apostrophes while my kernel is compiling and thereby forces me to avoid contractions.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Senor Fish wrote: »

True fans would notice that it looks more like Link to the Past than Ocarina of Time does.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    C.S. Lewis wrote:
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

* "On Three Ways of Writing for Children" (1952)

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah they do actually. Like I said, they piss on everything where they can't ruin something's shit with an AK-47. They seem to think that Simple Fun isn't really fun.
    I dunno, running around ruining people's shit with an AK-47 strikes me as being a lot simpler activity than embarking on a classic hero's quest. Simply following the formula for the hero's quest doesn't really invite all that much depth to a game, but it's a fuck of a lot more depth than "hey go shoot things until they're all dead".

IRT "True Fans";
    That label pisses me off. "True fans of Zelda" is an irrelevant demarcation for where you break the total volume of people you're referring to into sets. The fact of the matter is that whether you're a fan of Zelda or not, if you think a game is shit on the grounds that it doesn't use a "realistic" lighting/shading model, you're a jackass and I don't give two shits what you think about any mode of expression even beyond videogames. I personally despise the sound of acoustic guitar but I'm not going to go claiming that anything played acoustic is shit, because I'm not a fucking retard. The Firefly theme wouldn't be at all appropriate if it were played on an electric guitar, no matter how much I love the rocking sounds that instrument can produce.

ViolentChemistry on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The aesthetic often has to do with your ability to identify with something.

Young children, who tend to be given colorful toys, are more likely to enjoy Pokemon than a teenager whose walls are plastered with posters of nearly-naked women on cars, and Marlyn Manson, also on cars. Pikachu tends to clash with Manson and Models covered in Turtle Wax.

It also may have to do with the tendency to basically cram the colorful and cute down a kid's throat, while keeping them away from the darker things until they hit their teens. Puberty presents a CHANGE OF PACE as much as anything else.

Why it changes for many adults? Nostalgia, a lack of pressure for one thing or another, having your own kids, or perhaps being tired of how dark the real world is now that you've been allowed to see it for a few years.

Perhaps its the nature of cute design. It tends to speak of children -- something most teenagers want to forget about for a few years before someone gets knocked up.

And, then, realistic things tend to lend more personal relevance. A teenager is usually struggling for power. That makes it easier to identify with a teenage Link trying to prove himself than a Chibi-fied child playing with faeries. It makes things that feel more real, rather than abstract, more valuable.

When adulthood hits, many people are on their way to giving up power struggles, and would dearly love to forget realism, and delve deep in to the abstract.

Others would like to blow it to kingdom come.

Varies, really.

Incenjucar on
  • DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    True fans would accept that it's still a fun game, and the graphics aren't what's important.

It has nothing to do with being a true fan and everything to do with not being a tasteless idiot. The graphics were beautiful.

Duki on
  • BlackDog85BlackDog85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I remember initially not being keen on Wind Waker's graphics (we're talking back when I was 17 here), but not really due to any innate fear of being labeled "kiddie" or "immature" by anyone. Rather, I had just grown fond of Ocarina's/Majora's Mask's style and presentation, and was incredibly pumped after that old Spaceworld 2000 demo that had Link dueling with Gannondorf, and felt let down when I saw that the style would be changed.

Looking back, I had a snap reaction, as I now feel that it's healthy for the Zelda series to tread into the unknown now and then, in one way or another.

There's where I make a distinction, however. It's one thing to be afraid of being called "kiddie" for playing a game with bright colors and a decidedly "un-dark" storyline; that's just idiotic, in my opinion. I mean, who wouldn't want to play the next Mario game, for Christ's sake?

It's another thing, though, when you feel that a "kiddie" presentation might not appeal to you as much as a darker/more realistic one. I remember reading a lot of people's thoughts on Wind Waker when it was initially announced in 2001 (I think it was 2001, at least), and not so much seeing "ZOMG TEH KIDDIE!" (outside of the obnoxious "more like Celda" voices), but seeing more of a vibe that many of them just wanted to see something more along the lines of what we got presentation-wise from Majora's Mask (i.e. something a bit of an edge to it, a development of some of the ideas from Ocarina, etc.).

I won't lie: Wind Waker, as a game, did not enthrall me the same way Ocarina did, and hasn't the same way Twilight Princess has. Again, it's not due to any irrational feelings on my part, but more due to the other style just having more appeal to me, though.

That said, I still think Wind Waker is a fine, fine game.

BlackDog85 on
    KeithBeKnives.png
    Wii Code: 5700 4466 3616 6981 (PM if y'all add me)
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Lork wrote: »

True fans would notice that it looks more like Link to the Past than Ocarina of Time does.
    God I hate this argument. Neither look anything like Link to the Past, because Link to the Past used fucking sprites! The only thing you could compare was official art, and OoT's art looked a hell of a lot more like LttP than WW's did.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You know what? EVERYONE SHUT THE FUCK UP! Wind Waker looked great, some people are fucktards, END OF DISCUSSION!
    Good day to you, sir. Good day.

Gorilla Salad on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

God I hate this argument. Neither look anything like Link to the Past, because Link to the Past used fucking sprites!
    Okami can't look anything like Japanese painting because Japanese painting used paint on canvas while Okami used polygons!!!

Couscous on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

God I hate this argument. Neither look anything like Link to the Past, because Link to the Past used fucking sprites!
    Okami can't look anything like Japanese painting because Japanese painting used paint on canvas while Okami used polygons!!!

I hear Ancient Japan only had support for shader 1.0.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    In retail, I've seen parents refuse to buy otherwise fun games for their children because "it looks stupid; I'm not buying that for you."

It's almost as if these people try to live a life of gaming through their children. Of course, I never object, because my opinion as a gamer/salesman rarely matters in these situations.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    You know what? EVERYONE SHUT THE FUCK UP! Wind Waker looked great, some people are fucktards, END OF DISCUSSION!
    Good day to you, sir. Good day.

OBJECTION!!!

Your Majesty, clearly the prosemecutor is lying as it is obvious to anyone that most people are fucktards! I move that we hang him by the neck until death.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007

smack.jpg

That is quite possibly the stupidest reply I've ever seen on these boards.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I hear Ancient Japan only had support for shader 1.0.

And giant crabs.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Maybe these idiots will grow out of it one day. Maybe not.

I like it when games have a good sense of style, especially when its aesthetic meshes well with its themes/gameplay/plots/etc.

Otherwise, I guess I just agree with the CS Lewis quote. These are the people that have to clearly define one thing as being 'kiddy' so that everything else - the things they do/like - they can play with a clear conscience knowing that it is 'not kiddy.'

I have a friend who owns a 360. That's cool. He also mentioned once that the Wii that I bring over all the time, that we and our group of friends play all the time, is somehow designed to be "mostly for the younger crowd" or something like that. I explained that the Wii was being aimed more so at "everyone," rather than a specific demographic, be it 'kids' or 18-34 year old males. I think Nintendo may finally be succeeding in this, due to the widely-appealing nature of Wii Sports and the sleek aesthetic of the Wii and everything that goes with it.

Anyway, a few weeks later he came to me to ask for suggestions on some games that weren't "so depressing," since he only had Gears of War, Call of Duty, Dead Rising, GRAW, and R6...

I recommended Viva Pinata, and he loved it.

Lately, I think I've been getting pretty close to convincing him to make it a Wii60. I know that I shall soon have a Wii60 as well.... soon enough...

slash000 on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    When I was a little kid I thought days before I was born like in the 50s were in black and white.

JJ on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    What teenagewrs prefer isn't maturity. It's immaturity, that happens to be in the form of blood and nudity. These things are not mature (at least not in the way 99% of games use them).

Xagarath on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I personally despise the sound of acoustic guitar
    Wait, what?
    BlackDog85 wrote: »
    I mean, who wouldn't want to play the next Mario game, for Christ's sake?
    Me.

*puts on flame-retardent suit*

Jazz on
  • nefyavenefyave Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

That is quite possibly the BEST REPLY I've EVER seen on these boards.

fix'd

nefyave on
    bannerpa.jpg
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Jazz wrote: »
    Wait, what?
    Me.

But is it because you think Mario is "the kiddy", or because you are simply not a fan of the series, whereas you've got no problem with cel-shaded wacky funfun presented in other series where it fits?

yalborap on
    edited February 2007
    yalborap wrote: »
    Wait, what?
    Me.

But is it because you think Mario is "the kiddy", or because you are simply not a fan of the series, whereas you've got no problem with cel-shaded wacky funfun presented in other series where it fits?
    Simply not a fan of the series.

Wind Waker was my favourite Zelda by far, and I don't mind admitting part of the appeal was it looked completely fucking beautiful. Cel-shading and "teh kiddie" hold no fear for me.

Jazz on
    edited February 2007
    Wait, what?
    Me.

Wind Waker was my favourite Zelda by far, and I don't mind admitting part of the appeal was it looked completely fucking beautiful. Cel-shading and "teh kiddie" hold no fear for me.

Then that's fine. Everyone's got their own tastes. I've got a hard time getting into Lumines, for example, though it is a rompin' good timebucket. It's hating upon things for being "the kiddy" that is foul and sickening.

yalborap on
    edited February 2007
    Wait, what?
    Me.

Then that's fine. Everyone's got their own tastes. I've got a hard time getting into Lumines, for example, though it is a rompin' good timebucket. It's hating upon things for being "the kiddy" that is foul and sickening.
    Absolutely agreed.

And Lumines never owned my soul either.

Jazz on
    edited February 2007
    Wait, what?
    Me.

Absolutely agreed.

And Lumines never owned my soul either.

We have souls? ;-)

yalborap on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    one of the nice things about the style of WW is that it seems like it will age considerably better than OoT/MM and TP. again, graphics dont matter but LttP still looks great (as do many of the "kiddy" SNES games) because of the art.

anyway, the debate about maturity in gaming is rough. because i would suggest that Ico is a more mature game/story than any GTA. are we talking about maturity in that sense or "tits and shit-talk" sense?

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Upon getting a Wii, I popped my Wind Waker disc in to check it out in 480p. Previously, I had been using S-Video on my GC because I couldn't get my hands on a component cable.

The game is staggeringly gorgeous. I was taken even more by it than I was the first time. It is simple elegance. I tend towards a darker aesthetic - Gears of War gives me a boner - but my god is Wind Waker absolutely beautiful to behold.

Anyone who can't see that is an ass.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    What teenagewrs prefer isn't maturity. It's immaturity, that happens to be in the form of blood and nudity. These things are not mature (at least not in the way 99% of games use them).

Exactly my feelings on the subject. It's like fourteen year olds swearing every chance they get because they think it makes them look all grown up - just because something is generally restricted to minors, it doesn't automatically make it "mature". Most games are about wish fulfillment, which is age-non-specific.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited February 2007

Exactly my feelings on the subject. It's like fourteen year olds swearing every chance they get because they think it makes them look all grown up - just because something is generally restricted to minors, it doesn't automatically make it "mature". Most games are about wish fulfillment, which is age-non-specific.

Now more than ever, I feel as though I am nothing like my peers.

yalborap on
  • eaglearchereaglearcher Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't mind the kiddy, but there's a limit to its absurdity. And in some cases, it's truly is about personal preference.

Here's my take on some.
    Zelda: Windwaker -- fine
    Psychonaut -- Ugly art style, not touching it
    Doraemon -- the most awesome manga and anime ever.
    Spongebob Sqauresomething -- not even gonna bother

eaglearcher on
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    What teenagers prefer isn't maturity. It's immaturity, that happens to be in the form of blood and nudity. These things are not mature (at least not in the way 99% of games use them).

I agree with this 100%.

There seems to be a phase that teenagers go through, where they shy away from "kids stuff". Of course, they don't really want mature, complex content either... they just want something with the semblance of maturity (i.e. "stuff that kids aren't allowed to see"). So, they listen to shallow music full of provocative lyrics and watch crappy, formulaic movies with "gross-out" humour. Also, they play GTA-clones and giblet-laden FPSes.

This doesn't make them "mature". It makes them teenagers.

I personally went through something similar in my teenage years. I pretty much stopped gaming altogether, since I was too "grown-up" for that. It wasn't until I was at University that I got back into gaming, and started to lament that I had missed out on so many great games (like the entire SNES library :-().

Of course, when I got back into gaming I had no problem with playing "kiddy games". In fact, it was Super Mario 64 that brought me back to gaming. I had no qualms about whether it was "mature" or not. Good games are good games, regardless of what their artwork looks like.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't mind the kiddy, but there's a limit to its absurdity. And in some cases, it's truly is about personal preference.

Here's my take on some.

My heart weeps for you.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • eaglearchereaglearcher Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Here's my take on some.

My heart weeps for you.

I know it's gotten great review and all, but the art style is really keeping me from it.
    I can't stomach Tim Burton's animations, take it for what it's worth.

eaglearcher on
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    In relation to the Zelda comments earlier, and the overall thread topic...

One of my friends (roomate actually, friend of 19 years) was watching me play Twilight Princess recently and during such we were talking about Link to the Past. Lttp is the only Zelda that he's played himself and (i'm not actually sure) beaten and liked. While we were talking about why he could never get into other Zelda titles at all, he explained that he could not stand how the themes and story and setting and feel and gameplay of the Zelda franchise was overly childish.

I immediately thought he was referring to Wind Waker having been on the internet for long enough, but no, he was referring to every Zelda, Whether it be the first, Majora's Mask, or Twilight Princess, they were all too "childish" for him.

Personally I find this comment odd, because he thought Kirby's Canvas Curse was the coolest game on the DS and one of the best games he'd seen/tried in years, and the game he's loved most recently has been Pikmin 2, along with the three most played games of his recently being Meteos, Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat, and Wii Sports. None of those 5 games are what you'd categorize as "mature" or "dark" or "cool" in the sense of the word used in most arguements against "childish" or "kiddie" games.

Odd little connundrum it seems trying to figure out what it is he actually likes or doesn't like in that sense. I have a pretty deep theory on the whole thing, but i'm curious to if anyone here has had that experience before themselves or with someone else.

Polago on