As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - Matchmaking that actually works?

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Valve be monetizing on current popular genres.

Portal2 vs Portal
    CS:GO vs COD
    Dota2 vs LoL/HoN/Dota
    Half Life 3 craft vs SC2 ... in a matter of time

But srsly, I wouldn't be surpirsed if they are delaying the next installment of half life in favor for the next version of the Source engine.

If the next entry is indeed HL3 and not some form of Ep3, then agreed. HL seems to be the flagship title for rolling out new engines (Goldsrc for HL, Source for HL2).

I'm not hopeful for HL3 getting a launch similar to HL2's, though. HL2's release really was one of the more impressive game releases I've seen. New game, new engine, previous game ported to new engine, updated versions of mods for previous games ported to new engine, and a digital delivery system. Sure, Steam was an annoying piece of junk back then, but it's morphed into one hell of a service.

steam_sig.png
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote:
    I'm pretty sure Valve doesn't care all that much about console generations.

I wouldn't exactly say they're "treading water" either. They're putting out two games this year alone, and they're no doubt working hard on Episode 3, which rumor has it apparently transformed into full blown Half Life 3.

I've been holding off on buying the orange box until Half life 2 EP3 comes out. God dammit Valve, why do you try my love?

• DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    Karl wrote:

I've been holding off on buying the orange box until Half life 2 EP3 comes out. God dammit Valve, why do you try my love?

what?

y6GGs3o.gif
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Apparently there's going to be a trailer for this on GTTV.

• IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Yeah. I won't be up to see it, but I'm quite interested to wake up in the morning to whatever it is Valve has come up with.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    csgo_aztec_action01_01.jpg

csg02.jpg

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Next-gen has gone from brown to gray.

How about we also post the Kotaku article you took those screens from?

It says that there will be PC/PS3 cross platform multiplayer and that the PS3 version can be played with mouse and keyboard, so that's cool for the people that'll play it on PS3.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote:
    How about we also post the Kotaku article you took those screens from?

It says that there will be PC/PS3 cross platform multiplayer and that the PS3 version can be played with mouse and keyboard, so that's cool for the people that'll play it on PS3.

I could have linked the article, but I'm pretty sure that people were more interested in the pics.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Those screens look nice

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    That's a lot of boxes in that last pic. It's going to fail hard.

Naw, kiddin'. Maybe.

I didn't quite get all the hate for CS:Source, but I then again I didn't get into it big like I did Day of Defeat. DOD:Source was like the worst game ever though...

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Looks pretty great.

Looks awesome, but very familiar. That's great news about the PS3 KBAM support.

Video can be found here.

It looks like there miiiight be KotH? And you can also see the updated store, but that might be console specific since it has a little wheel thingey.

Icemopper wrote:
    Video can be found here.

It looks like there miiiight be KotH? And you can also see the updated store, but that might be console specific since it has a little wheel thingey.

The buy menu is clearly shown being navigated with a mouse. And everything has numbers, so it'll still be exactly the same to buy with keyboard as in the previous ones.

edited August 2011
    Peewi wrote:
    Icemopper wrote:
    Video can be found here.

The buy menu is clearly shown being navigated with a mouse. And everything has numbers, so it'll still be exactly the same to buy with keyboard as in the previous ones.

Yeah, I went back and watched it again after I woke up:

E2OAk.png

And you can't tell me that isn't a new store. Yes you'll be able to buy as before, but just look at it. Totally new.

And it definitely has the radial dial for consoles.

So. There!

Icemopper on
    I'm not trying to say it isn't new, but if I can still press B 2 1 and it gets me a shotgun, the usage is the same.

Looks like shotguns and machine guns were combined to a single category.

edited August 2011
    There are gameplay videos up, I put them in the OP.

This one shows a new alternate route in Dust.

And yea, peewi, I get it, I am not disagreeing with you. The use is the same, the GUI is very different.

Icemopper on
    I think that video is Dust and the article said Dust2 hadn't been changed. I get them confused too sometimes. It'd be nice if they gave Dust2 a proper name.

Ah yeah, that is Dust 1.

Still.

Alternate route!

Started to watch the gameplay trailer.

AWP shitcock.

Closed video.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • KrevanKrevan Registered User regular
    I cannot wait for this game. I hope I can get some hands-on time with it at Prime.

• Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    I used to hate the AWP until I realized I was just pissed that I was terrible at using it. Or maybe it was lag? I swear, if I had a nickel for every time I lined up a perfect shot and it missed...

steam_sig.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Two questions:

1) Is this game an entirely new product? Meaning if a person already owns CS:S, will they have to purchase GO to play the updates? Or is this more like a major content patch that's going into CS:S which will be free to the people who already own the product?

2) Since CS:GO will be on PS3 as well, what are the chances of them giving a free PC download code with the purchase of the PS3 version like what they did with Portal 2?

Lucascraft on
    Almost definitely a completely new game you'd have to buy.

As for number 2, I'm not sure, but I would hazard a guess that they might do that. It seemed to receive very favorable results.

• no worriesno worries Registered User regular
    Curios to hear more about the ranked matchmaking.

Think that'll carry over to the PC?

I enjoyed CS once, but it's a brutal game to suck at. I'd love to play it with other sucky players.

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Icemopper wrote:
    Ah yeah, that is Dust 1.

Still.

Alternate route!

So de_dawn then?

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    no worries wrote:
    Curios to hear more about the ranked matchmaking.

Think that'll carry over to the PC?

I enjoyed CS once, but it's a brutal game to suck at. I'd love to play it with other sucky players.

Kotaku posted a thing that details it pretty well. Valve will be hosting game servers for players using matchmaking and on PC it will also be possible to host your own servers, like with the previous games.

I used to hate the AWP until I realized I was just pissed that I was terrible at using it. Or maybe it was lag? I swear, if I had a nickel for every time I lined up a perfect shot and it missed...

AWP hate is usually 50% "Bullshit insta-kill weapon" and 50% "...I stink with it"

In my case anyway.

• EliteBattlemanEliteBattleman Registered User regular
    That reminds me, did they ever fix the hit boxes so they actually line up with the character models?

If not, that'd explain how you keep missing your perfect AWP shots.

This is my sig.
    There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    You mean you guys didn't see the second video?

http://youtu.be/MP5D2N6pKKg

p8fnsZD.png
    Flippy_D wrote:
    You mean you guys didn't see the second video?

http://youtu.be/MP5D2N6pKKg

Same video as above, but in a format where you don't have to input your age. Much better.

• MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    Those videos give me a raging case of nostalgia for 1.6

MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    The guns/arm animations and models look awkward as hell.

Also yup, that was counterstrike alright. Not much else to say about it.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    All this CS stuff going on put a bug in my brain. So I reinstalled CS Condition Zero and CS CZ Deleted Scenes, because I'm not masochistic enough to play this game with people.

So I tried out Deleted Scenes a moment ago for the first time, having no idea what it was.

It's Team America: The Game, isn't it?

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Oh man, I completely forgot about CZ. All I really remember about that game is the difficulty apparently spiking pretty hard during one of the middle missions. It went from "this is a bit more challenging, but fun" to "mouse, meet wall" hard. Might give it another chance, though. I'd rather deal with that than trying to play with people again. Unless they're pretty inexperienced like myself. Then I'd probably play it online.

steam_sig.png
  • MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    I wonder if CS 1.6 is old enough that I could run a server off of my 1st gen Atom netbook. I would be happy to put up a PA server where we wouldn't have to worry about being dominated by vets.

MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Condition Zero: Deleted Scenes is now Condition Zero: Deleted from my HDD.

That is literally one of the worst things I've ever seen in my life, on pretty much every level you can conceive. I'd have kept it around to see what kind of depths it could sink to, but I have to kill the Steam process in the Task Manager to get the game to completely exit. Yeah.

Condition Zero with just the regular bots and stuff is pretty entertaining and all, but Deleted Scenes is just wow holy shit how did that even happen?

I keep wanting to go and play it... I have it installed, and I have forever, but I have similar memories. I don't think I can do it.