Options

The Amiga Thread

Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/themNorth Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
When was the last time we did one of these, eh? I can't remember. In fact there hasn't been an Amiga thread, to the best of my recollection, so I'm doing one now. I know that the Amiga wasn't quite as popular in the US, but it was fairly big in the UK, Europe and Australia. So there we go.

The Amiga was the most popular home computer of its day. More expensive than the Atari but less than most IBM PCs, it was capable of putting out graphics and audio that were unbeatable by both. I won't waste time listing every single model of the Amiga - OPs are not my forté, I'm afraid - but I will link to the Wikipedia articles for what are considered the "important" Amigas.

Amiga 500
Amiga 2000
Amiga CDTV
Amiga 1200
Amiga 4000/4000T
Amiga CD32

Important/noteworthy games for the Amiga

The Secret of Monkey Island (1990)
Lemmings (1991)
Alien Breed and sequels (1991-1996)
Apidya (1992)
The Settlers (1993)
Superfrog (1993)
Sneech (1993-1999)
Beneath a Steel Sky (1994)
Liberation: Captive 2 (1994)
Frontal Assault (1994-1996)
Xtreme Racing (1996)
Worms: The Directors Cut (1997)

There are, of course, more - but if I listed them all here then you lot wouldn't have anything to talk about! :)

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
Squirminator2k on

• Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    We had an Amiga thread in the fall of last year.

I'm not saying that makes this one inappropriate though.

Lack of Dungeon Master on your games list is a criminal offense, however.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Funnily enough I had it, but never played it. It was more my Dad's thing, I believe. It would be hypocritical of me to list a game I haven't played.

I did omit New Zealand Story, though. That's one Hell of a platformer.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I remember losing a lot of hours to Lure Of the Temptress and Dune 2 all those many years ago when I borrowed a friends Amiga.

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Funnily enough I had it, but never played it. It was more my Dad's thing, I believe. It would be hypocritical of me to list a game I haven't played.

I did omit New Zealand Story, though. That's one Hell of a platformer.

Then I'm going to have to ask you to turn in your membership card.

Heathen.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    But... I need my Membership Card. It gets me all of the really cool perks, like free rides on the Coach to Milton Keynes and 20% off at Virgin Megastore.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Always wanted to pick a used one up off of eBay so I can get it a go.

Sheep on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hey... another Amiga thread .... I'm gonna cross-post this from another forum because it came up there too:
    mausmalone wrote:
    I found this the other day while I was looking for things to test on my RSS reader ...

Amiga Demo Podcast

Videos of Amiga graphics demos in podcast form, with links to the disk images (all are legal freeware). But even if you don't have an Amiga and can't get the emulation running, the podcast has enclosed h264 or DivX videos of the demos running.

Stumbled across it yesterday, thought it seemed cool.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I still have my 500 packed away. Man it was so much fun back in the day. Metal Masters, Space Crusade, the original Star Control, Lords of the Rising Sun, and anything by Psygnosis (esp. The Killing Game Show, Awesome and The Beast games), were my favorites.

The Burnin8or on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    I mostly played North&South and A-Train on mine. I forget why it stopped working.

I do remember for the first half year or whatever of owning it, we didn't have the "Y cable" (what the manual called it) so that we could get sound to come out of the monitor.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    foursquaremanfoursquareman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    My old A500 is sitting in the garage collecting dust. The monitor stopped working, and since it is a special connection, I can't seem to find a cheap adaptor to get it working on my PC monitor.

I probably spent most of my time programming the thing, but New Zealand Story was seriously awesome, as well as Rainbow Island and Xenon II.

Did anyone else play Kid Gloves 2? I loved that game, but it doesn't seem as if anyone else played it.

foursquareman on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    My old A500 is sitting in the garage collecting dust. The monitor stopped working, and since it is a special connection, I can't seem to find a cheap adaptor to get it working on my PC monitor.
    Try asking about on the English Amiga Board. All sorts of Amiga users there will have all sorts of adapters and may be willing to sell you one.

Also, New Zealand Story is awesome. Have you played the DS remake?

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Every time I see Amiga/ST threads reincarnated I chant the same mantra:

Speedball 2, Supercars 2, Speedball 2, Supercars 2, Speedball 2, Supercars 2...

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Speedball 2 was fairly awesome - I had the CD32 version - but I never played Supercars 2.

I did recently review the Amiga version of Mick & Mack as the Global Gladiators for RealVG (I occasionally write retro reviews for the site... very occasionally. I've done three since the website launched, four if you cound New Zealand Story Revolution for the DS) and upon replaying it recently I found it to be a fairly solid platform game.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    IncendiusIncendius Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Moonstone.png

I got so much enjoyment out of this game as a kid. The gore was awe inspring for me at the time.

Incendius on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    the amiga is responsible for my love of graphic and text adventures

and worms

god, that was a great computer

I remember people asked me where my copy of Monkey Island was installed, and they were like, "C? D?"

and i was like 'shit son, DF0'

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    foursquaremanfoursquareman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Also, New Zealand Story is awesome. Have you played the DS remake?

No, I have had the pleasure of playing it on a compilation disc my brother bought for the Xbox. I'm not sure which one, but it included Rainbow Islands, which I also loved.

Talking of text-adventures, did anyone else enjoy Silicon Dreams? I never had the intellect to get anywhere of note in it, but it was one of my first experiences with "go north".

foursquareman on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The awesomeness of the Amiga can be summed up in one sentence:

A fully functional multitasking windows GUI that fit on a floppy and booted into 512K of RAM.

Nothing as awesome as the Amiga can be long in this harsh world.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I heart the Amiga so much. And the C64. And the C128. In fact, pretty much all of Commodore's machines.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dune, Dune II
    Dungeon Master, and the sequel (though I had to cheat to finish it, fuckin hard)
    Star Control!!
    Out of this World and Flashback..

My original A1000 monitor still works, I have it hooked up to an old VCR and use it to watch TV in the garage...

I had a 1000, a 500, another 500 with Grass Valley(?) hard drive and memory expansion, a 3000, another 3000 I modified to fit a Video Toaster in (not recommended) and a 4000. I still have one of the 3000s, sold off the rest.

Did a ton of animation in Lightwave for local access TV, a few band's video projects, helped out a friend who did work for Todd Rungren's videos and Babylon 5...

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    OH - http://dmweb.free.fr/
    :^: :^:

jwalk on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    Where the hell is Turrican?

Echo on
  • Options
    ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    jwalk wrote: »

That's the ticket. Great site, brilliant game. Me and a friend played that bastard for hours. He'd use the number pad to move us around, I'd use the mouse to pick stuff up and throw. We'd get about 4 levels in, then restart with a new party. No, I don't know why either. Dungeon Master is a must play game, no-one has an excuse to not give this bad boy a go. The magic system was the best ever, leading to genuine miscasts of spells in combat. And it was actually dark underground, leading to some real dilemmas in a tight spot as a torch started to burn down. Do you go for a fireball to hopefully take down that baddie? Or use the mana to cast a light spell so you can back away and regroup before the lights go out? Genius design.

I was enjoying Lure of the Temptress, but the game wouldn't save on my Amiga for some reason. I kept playing through until a guard outside a hut kept on killing me for doing something wrong.

Beneath a Steel Sky can go and die in a fire. Played it again recently on SCUMM (it is legal freeware now). It just makes no sense whatsoever. Great script, good voice acting, but the puzzles are so unintuitive. You literally had to use every object on every person or other item. You had to do stuff just because you could do stuff, and only later would it become apparent what that stuff did. Example: your aim is to escape the city. At one point you buy a ticket for a tour. A tour that leaves the city. Great yes, this is your way out? No, you have to give that ticket away FOR NO REASON to a super-rich factory owner so that in return he gives you a tour of his factory. Because of course you expected that to happen right? "Oh hey, a ticket out of the city, I'll go and give this to someone else and find a different way to get out myself." And that is one of the more obvious puzzles.

Heimdall 2 taught me to hate computer game magazine reviewers. The review said the game would last months, I finished it on the second day. Clearly the reviewer was a total fucktard. I was unemployed at the time and so that game cost me my gaming budget for a loooong time, and it had almost zero replay value. I'm still bitter.

I loved the Amiga though. Anyone notice how all the joysticks for both this and the Atari ST all looked like sex aids? All they needed was a rumble function.

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I love my Amiga, but my dodgy Scart cable died the other day. I'll get round to replacing it, soon enough.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have a CD32 with SX1 expansion, it's loaded with a 120mb HD (I think) and 6mb Ram. It's set up in my room as we speak and get's frequent gaming! For the CD32 I've got:

Liberation
    Super SKidmarks
    Wing Commander/That Fighting Game
    Diggers/Oscar
    Speedball
    Cannon Fodder
    Banshee (Mary Whitehouse ftw)
    A racing game where you could destroy things, I really can't remember the name!
    Litil Divil (Or however it was spelt)
    Sim City (CDTV)
    Super Stardust
    Beneath a Steal Sky
    Simon the Sorceror (Chris Barry/barrie/my spelling is awful!)
    Microcosm
    Alien Breed: Tower Assault
    D/Generation
    Dizzy Prince of the Yolk Folk!
    Exile (FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC! Never did complete it though)
    Bubba n Stix
    Rise of the Robots (sob)
    Shadow Fighter (I think, could have been Shadow Warrior, the box is at home, it was an excellent beat 'em up though, even by today's standards)
    Skeleton Krew

Then for the Amiga I had hunderds and hundreds of games, still do, all boxed in my cupboard. Some classics:

Defender of the Crown
    Zool
    Prince of Persia
    Monkey Island 1 and 2
    Rick Dangerous
    Speedball 2
    Shadow of the beast (1,2 and 3)
    Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge 2 (Peasoup!)
    James Pond 1/2
    Turrican 1,2 and 3 (3 was never quite as good)
    Stunt Car Racer (I adored this game)
    Worms
    Elite
    Populous
    Lemmings 1 and 2 (2 not as good in my opinion)
    Syndicate
    Dune 2
    Mortal Kombat (It came with a "15" sticker on the box! Oh and shang tsung could only morph in to your character)
    Hired Guns (fucking AWESOME game)
    Alien 3
    Alien Breed 3d (It's like doom!)
    Chuck Rock
    Battle Chess
    Dreamweb (controversy! It has badly drawn sex in it! And gore!)
    Body Blows
    Brutal Sports Football
    Chaos Engine

Probably an absolute ton more stored away, those big boxes take up some space though. I have the majority as backups in a couple of big disk trays (ah back when backing up games was not frowned upon and actually expected. Monkey Island manual instructed you to do it!).

I also have practically every demo desk I ever owned.

You could say I loved the Amiga a little bit too much, but it was during the phase that I gamed nearly everyday and, in my youth, actually had enough free time to get away with it.

Now I feel lucky that last night I was able to put an hour in to Crackdown.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I have a ton of games where the manual says "We recommend you back up your floppy disks and play from the back-ups. Do not use the originals." Of course some of these games also had copy protection on them so the disks wouldn't copy using the AmigaDOS COPY command. Nine times out of ten I ended up using XCopy.

Also: DF0: was a floppy drive. DH0: Was the Hard Drive.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Feral wrote: »

A fully functional multitasking windows GUI that fit on a floppy and booted into 512K of RAM.

The ST had one in ROM. It, too, died too soon.

I was an ST owner during the Amiga's heyday. But I'd grown up on the Sinclair Spectrum in the 8-bit era, so Commodore was kind of the enemy.

The ST and Amiga had largely the same games line-up at least until about 1993. The ST could push polygons marginally faster but the Amiga was better at 2D (which of course 95% of games still were back then) with a blitter chip as standard and a larger on-screen colour palette.

They were really the last two 'other' personal computers to be genuinely successful before the IBM-compatible PC and, to a lesser extent, the Apple Mac finally took over the entire freakin' world.

But I always admired the Amiga's tenacity - somehow it stayed a workable platform long after the world at large had abandoned it, and its fanbase simply refused to let it die. There's no way in hell it should've survived through the late '90s, but somehow it did. And for that, I tip my hat to the Commodore Amiga, although to date I've never actually owned one.

Jazz on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A1200 fo life yo'

Awesome Games -
    Gaurdian: Game of Kings (starfox clone!)
    Zool 1+2
    Settlers
    Base Jumpers
    Mad Bomber
    Oscar
    Pinball Dream/Fantasies

Loads more I can't remember.

God, my parents were dirty pirates back in the day, I didn't realise that amiga games werent supposed to come on blank floppy disks with marker pen on them for years...

LewieP on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Anyone else play Zeewolf? That game was excellent.

japan on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    http://www.amigaforever.com/

And shame on you Squirminator2k for not putting in any Bitmap Brothers games.

By the way, I play Monkey Island from DF0 AND DF1. Yes, I had a second disk drive.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Thread NEEDS more....

Box_wings.jpg

MAN, I loved this game...
    Bombing missions, strafing runs, dogfights...it had it all, with a great story too...
    The way your plane took damage was the best thing ever back then..I bet I could play this for ours still today.
    wings-1.jpg

wings-2.jpg

screenshot_wings_4.gif

screenshot_wings_2.gif

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Try asking about on the English Amiga Board. All sorts of Amiga users there will have all sorts of adapters and may be willing to sell you one.

I don't think t he A500 is capable of using a vga monitor. Well, I'm sure it's technically feasible, but I don't know if a product to do it actually exists. The Amiga used an extremely low refresh rate, below what most VGA monitors can handle. Not just a question of getting a cable with the right pinouts.

The full desktop sized machines (ie A2000) had a special expansion slot to plug in a card that would let you use a VGA screen, and even then it's capped at 60hz. I have one in mine, and it works splendidly:

A2000.jpg

There do exist adapters to give the Amiga a composite output so you can use it on a regular television, but the quality is amazingly shitty. Maybe fine for games, but try to read text on the desktop and you'll give yourself a headache.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm fairly certain you can get adapters that work - our A500 was hooked up to a VGA monitor, as was our A2000 and our A1200 (and our CD32, funnily enough). The Amiga outputs at 50Hz in PAL mode and 60Hz in NTSC mode (natch) so if it doesn't like PAL it should like NTSC.

Edit: Also!
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    http://www.amigaforever.com/

And shame on you Squirminator2k for not putting in any Bitmap Brothers games.

By the way, I play Monkey Island from DF0 AND DF1. Yes, I had a second disk drive.

1. I was going to mention Amiga Forever, but I was a bit wary of doing so - it's the E word, y'see.

2. You are right, and I will not go outside and throttle myself. Speedball II and The Chaos Engine are two of my favourite games of all time, and I'm also quite fond of Gods ("Into the wonderful").

3. I had my copy installed on my Hard Drive. My second Hard Drive. Alongside LeChuck's Revenge, Beneath a Steel Sky, and a WHDInstall of Simon the Sorcerer CD32 (full talkie soundtrack! Chris Barrie! Lawks!).

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Feral wrote: »

Hey, don't forget Elite 2: Frontier. The entire universe on a floppy. And now they're trying to convince us we need Blu-Ray?!

Shujaa on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Blue-Ray will allow developers to place the entire Multiverse on one disc. Each disc will contain every game that has ever been made or that will ever be made. All the developers really do is set boot parameters, such as "boot /DUKENUKEMFOREVER" and such like.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Shujaa wrote: »

Hey, don't forget Elite 2: Frontier. The entire universe on a floppy.

And forever one of the greatest games ever.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Yeah too bad it was eclipsed by the PC version which actually textured the polygons. Still a great game though. I remember downloading, and printing, about a 40 page list of "wormholes" and using my hacked Courier (nearly infinite fuel) and bouncing around the universe discovering new stars and planets that literally nobody had ever seen before.

Amigaforever is legal, btw. They bought the rights to the OS from... whoever the hell owns them now.

Cinemaware, oh yes. I think my favorite was IT Came from the Desert, but they are all good. I believe you can also download most of them for free now (legal abandon/freeware, direct from the developers www.cinemaware.com )

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Anyone know how easy t to get the PC version to run on modern hardware (an intel iMac running 10.4 and XP SP2, in this instance)

ben0207 on