As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bass Restringing

EtchEtch Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a quick question about changing the strings on my bass guitar. I know that when you put on the new strings, you're supposed to trim them down to fit. Everything that I've read has said I'm supposed to trim them where the string is covered. However, I bought some Ernie Ball strings, and there is no sort of silk wrapping on the end of the string. I'm worried that when I trim them down, the strings will unwind because there is nothing holding them together. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? I really don't want to ruin new strings because I did something done.

Etch on

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    Well, you could always go to a guitar store and ask them. They can even do it for you.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Excellent idea! Luckily, I just found a video showing a bass being restrung, using the same strings I bought, so now I know I can trim the strings without them exploding or something!

• Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's why you have the machine heads.

Bass restringing is so easy, much less of a pain in the ass than a guitar (those high strings FUUUU)

y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    bburkbburk Registered User regular
    Don't worry about he silk wrappings. They don't hold the strings together, it will be fine to trim them.
    -bassist-

• Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    If it will make you feel better, make a little kink in the string before where you trim it. I don't bother myself, and I'm a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to replacing strings. Never had strings unwind on me once.

• Options
    I appreciate the replies guys. I got the strings on and everything's tuned up and good to go.