As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Prime] 2011 Aquisitions Incorporated: The Last Will and Testament of James Darkmagic I

NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in PAX Archive
So I was one of the first people to get in line at around 1130am on Saturday. The weather was warm and sunny. So sunny that it bordered on the obnoxious to a resident washingtonian, but the people in line made the time go by decently.

IMO, This was by far the most awesome panel at PAX. Chris Perkins did a standup job as a DM, and the Aquisitions crew was hilarious through the whole thing. Jim DarkMagic's family was so odd and dysfunctional that it makes most of us glad of our own. I dont know how they are going to top this one, but they will.

Now we just have to wait for wizard of the coast to put the video on youtube.

Thanks to everyone involved in this production, by far a laugh a minute!

a4irovn5uqjp.png
Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
Moe Fwacky on

• Options
    ReparadocsReparadocs Registered User regular
    Agreed, this was one of the best moments at PAX this year. However, I felt that Tycho was really not interacting that much. He didn't really talk at all until the end, when they got into combat. Nevertheless, it was hilarious!

• Options
    FenrisknightFenrisknight Token Canadian CanadianRegistered User regular
    Reparadocs wrote:
    Agreed, this was one of the best moments at PAX this year. However, I felt that Tycho was really not interacting that much. He didn't really talk at all until the end, when they got into combat. Nevertheless, it was hilarious!

I totally know what you mean, but then when he did stand up to rock face on those minotaurs, he did it in style!

• Options
    OccamOccam Registered User regular
    I couldn't believe the sheer theatrics. Those were some amazing entrances.

• Options
    teopehtteopeht Registered User regular
    Liked: the theatrics
    Disliked: where was the magma hand? where was the sheer epicness of pushing a dwarf off her floating disc, into a pool of acid?

Then again, if I had badass minstrels for my campaign I probably would just RP a dinner party as well.

Ravenclaw fo lyfe.
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Last Prime I asked Mike if he had given any thought to drawing a Darkmagic family portrait. This year we got the family. Coincidence? :D

• Options
    emimonsteremimonster Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I was in the back of the theater for this event and I couldn't really hear Jerry most of the time. I could tell that his voice was making sound, but that was it. Also, while I loved P&S, the music was the same volume as the speaking, so when they played I couldn't hear the speaking well. The mic volumes needed to be turned way up. I'm 28 with good hearing and don't like loud music or loud noises, so me asking for it to be turned up is evidence that it really WAS too quiet for the back of the theater.
    I offer this comment as it was a first time for Paramount theater, so I hope it will be useful to gather results from the process.

I also felt like there was less of their typical banter that makes this panel so much fun usually. 2 reasons: less combat and more story, so it felt like it was mostly just the GM talking at them, and bc minstrels were there to make some sound at the usual comedic insertion points.

emimonster on
  • Options
    LabRatLabRat Registered User regular
    Reparadocs wrote:
    Agreed, this was one of the best moments at PAX this year.

THIS. Also having Paul and Storm there was a very solid add. Storyline maybe wasn't as epic as last year but the interaction elements were priceless.

More time next year guys! Noticed that the epic meat-monsters strangely became minions as the end-time loomed. Two hours is tight for a DnD session especially with these guys.

• Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    LabRat wrote:
    Reparadocs wrote:
    Agreed, this was one of the best moments at PAX this year.

THIS. Also having Paul and Storm there was a very solid add. Storyline maybe wasn't as epic as last year but the interaction elements were priceless.

More time next year guys! Noticed that the epic meat-monsters strangely became minions as the end-time loomed. Two hours is tight for a DnD session especially with these guys.

Yeah, the actual game of D&D kinda got pushed to the side in that there was only one encounter and no real big boss monsters, but the theatrics and banter and P&S was a million time better than any actual D&D thing they could have done. This wasn't a panel, this was a Stage play show and it was fantastic!

• Options
    slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    IMO, This was by far the most awesome panel at PAX. Scott Perkins did a standup job as a DM, and the Aquisitions crew was hilarious through the whole thing. Jim DarkMagic's family was so odd and dysfunctional that it makes most of us glad of our own. I dont know how they are going to top this one, but they will.

I was unable to make it to PAX but I was watching the stream of the session. It was certainly entertaining. I hope that Wil doesn't have schedule conflicts and is able to make PAX East 2012 so they can continue the adventure there.

BTW, It's Chris Perkins, not Scott ;)

Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    your right, I thought there was one too many scotts up there :P

editing for correctness.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    SrenaebSrenaeb Registered User regular
    teopeht wrote:
    Disliked: where was the magma hand? where was the sheer epicness of pushing a dwarf off her floating disc, into a pool of acid?
    LabRat wrote:
    Noticed that the epic meat-monsters strangely became minions as the end-time loomed.
    The minionm move was perfect DM-ing, IMO.

The combat could've been every bit as awesome as last year's--IF we only had all the time in the world. We never even saw Grandma or Gorgon/snake-boy/mask-lady/Jim DarkMagic the First come in and kick ass. Every one of those weird family members could've made an appearance in combat. And how exactly do you stop the many piles of hamburger from infinite respawn while your house is hurtling through space, if your DM wants it that way?

2 hours is really short for an encounter, esp one that contained this much theatrics (not a complaint!), with a group this rowdy and this attention-loving. It's a really hard game to DM, and Chris Perkins nailed the balance between "everyone at my table needs to have fun" and "I need to put my foot down and clear the theatre on time".

• Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    The video of the whole thing actually IS up via live stream archive >.> If you were busy and missed the Jim Darkmagic Magic (like me), then you should watch here: http://www.justin.tv/giggleloop/b/293652125

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    ricksebringricksebring Registered User regular
    I Was the lucky person to actually catch the volleyball after the show ended.. Man that was a fun Pax

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    The video of the whole thing actually IS up via live stream archive >.> If you were busy and missed the Jim Darkmagic Magic (like me), then you should watch here: http://www.justin.tv/giggleloop/b/293652125
    oh excellent
    sadly the screen is super small :(

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    nianianianianiania Registered User regular
    This was one of my favorite things at PAX. Infact, it's inspired me to try out DnD again for the first time in 10 years.
    Just played my first game of 4th edition this past Wednesday at Card Kingdom in Ballard(Seattle), the DnD Encounters quick 2 hour session, and I loved it!!!
    Almost made my character's surname Darkmagic as a tribute, but I chickened out at the last second. :P :P :P

2014 Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament
    Hufflepuff: Death Eaters / Head of House
  • Options
    ZoelefZoelef Registered User regular
    edited September 2011

1:22:30: Amazing

Zoelef on
  • Options
    SrenaebSrenaeb Registered User regular
    I Was the lucky person to actually catch the volleyball after the show ended.. Man that was a fun Pax

Haha you got the bushy ball! Awesome!

• Options
    AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    I'm DMing tomorrow, and I don't know how I'm going to get by without my own minstrels.

Super great panel. Hope this becomes a regular thing!

• Options
    MrZeebubMrZeebub Registered User regular
    It's my hope that Acquisitions inc will usher in an age of D&D as a spectator sport. They will be the first pro D&D team.

The hat does the talking.
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    I think spectator D&D is more of a stage production than a sport. Still, the sentiment remains.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    RicinRicin Registered User regular
    I was wondering if this was only live streamed or if there is an archived copy. I was unable to attend the panel and I was at PAX Prime so I was unable to stream it.

• Options
    XalaraXalara Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I highly suggest reading the thread roughly 8 posts up Ricin ;)

Xalara on
  • Options
    RazorwiredRazorwired Registered User regular
    MrZeebub wrote:
    It's my hope that Acquisitions inc will usher in an age of D&D as a spectator sport. They will be the first pro D&D team.

It's been tried at Gencon with a bunch of fantasy writers and I think Robot Chicken did a celeb game with Perkins DMing it up. For some reason it's never quite as fun as Acquisitions Inc. The guys just fit well enough together that it works really well but it's hard to replicate.

Despite it being a more roleplayie campaign this year there were some great moments. I cracked up when Kurtz Hulked his way through the wall during the intro and "...you roll dice like Jerry." during the critical failure song had me in stitches.

I want to know who walked away with Jerry's hammer.

• Options
    RicinRicin Registered User regular
    Xalara wrote:

i tried that link and id did not work. I was hoping for an official link from either Wizards or PAX.

All I see when I click on the link is a PAX11 logo with random music behind it.

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Ricin wrote:
    Xalara wrote:

i tried that link and id did not work. I was hoping for an official link from either Wizards or PAX.

All I see when I click on the link is a PAX11 logo with random music behind it.
    In the biz, we call that an "intro" ;)
    keep watching.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    it actually starts about 3 or 4 minutes in

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    Razorwired wrote:

It's been tried at Gencon with a bunch of fantasy writers and I think Robot Chicken did a celeb game with Perkins DMing it up. For some reason it's never quite as fun as Acquisitions Inc. The guys just fit well enough together that it works really well but it's hard to replicate.

It's like any DND game, most of the success depends on the chemistry between the people playing the game.

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    it actually starts about 3 or 4 minutes in

3:30 is a good time to seek to...

• Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    And of course at 1:32:20 a gratuitous Da Vinci's Notebook flashback from the Bards.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Where are people seeing a stream that actually works? The giggleloop one above says "This is no longer available" and links to the pax_wotc channel, which is password protected. Halp?

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Nullzone wrote:
    Where are people seeing a stream that actually works? The giggleloop one above says "This is no longer available" and links to the pax_wotc channel, which is password protected. Halp?
    It is working for me now. Are you viewing it from outside the US?

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Nope, east coast USA. Will try from a different internet source later.

• Options
    MrZeebubMrZeebub Registered User regular
    FYI, it's up on Youtube now. Slightly better video quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmTINEnGwnc

The hat does the talking.