As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] New Vegas: Ultimate Edition is now out on Steam! Now you have no excuse.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Is there a decent list of must-have mods for Fallout 3? I got the complete edition during the last Steam sale and was thinking of firing it up soon.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I will say this about Lonesome Road, it finally justified my compulsion to make and hoard the fuck out of .45 hand loads.

Some of those deathclaws just would not die from anything less.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Controller plugged in?

I did just get a new controller. I'm dumb. That has to be it. Thanks.

How do you guys play anyway? What would you recommend controller or mouse and keyboard?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Is there a decent list of must-have mods for Fallout 3? I got the complete edition during the last Steam sale and was thinking of firing it up soon.

Underground Hideout.

THE WALL DEMANDS YOUR SERVICE

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    KBAM. Definitely. Yes, the UI may be consolized, but it's still basically an FPS with RPG elements.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    These are the ones I used and would recommend even for beginners maybe sans Project Nevada. This provides a mostly vanilla experience with out a lot of annoyances. Most of these are on the front page of the thread. Otherwise just type the name into the search on Fallout Nexus to find them.

Project Nevada - Core: There are multiple "modules" that you can install for this. The core is what I use to get a sprint and a grenade hotkey. There are some other options that help out as far as organization but the majority of the changes I turn off. Easy to change whats on and off in the games option menu. Never bothered with the other modules.

Lucky38Marker: Puts a marker on a couple places in the strip so you don't have to always fast travel to the outside.

DarNifiedUINV: Allows you to customize the Font size. Given the shear amount of junk you can be carrying on you at any time I strongly recommend this even for first time players.

UHNV: The oft spoken of Underground Hideout. A must have. A really well thought out mod that makes organizing all your junk much easier. Makes crafting much less annoying. There is a mini quest associated with it. It's okay but unnecessary. Also there's an option that makes you buy power for the base that I would recommend not bothering with unless you really are doing some hardcore roleplaying.

Nevada Skies: Really nice weather mod. Has some real pretty skyboxes and effects. Also nothing like getting caught in a rad storm in the middle of nowhere. Note that night time in this often close to pitch black if there are no light sources around. So you'll need a lot of low light stuff to operate at night. The Project Nevada mod works well with this as it contains options for power armor to have low light vision. I personally liked the fact that the night was so dark. It made things extra tense when the sun started going down knowing that I needed to find some place to hole up for the night or get stuck stumbling around or use what precious little cateye I had.

NoAddictions: What it says. If the addiction mechanic worked with some semblance of sense I might not use this. But the completely random nature of addictions I just found annoying.

Apostate on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I will warn you that Project Nevada is often the culprit that causes crashes for many folks. If you JUST want sprinting, there are several standalone mods that give you sprinting without the crash-prone capabilities of Project Nevada.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Does anyone know anything about this?

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1123460-potential-fix-for-npc-slowdown/

NV is running kind of slow for me when it shouldn't and I've read that this helps a lot. Something to do with using dx10 instead of 9?

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    NV is running kind of slow for me when it shouldn't and I've read that this helps a lot. Something to do with using dx10 instead of 9?

That shouldn't be your problem as it has been patched a long time ago. :(

• Options
    C2B wrote: »

That shouldn't be your problem as it has been patched a long time ago. :(

Any idea on what I should enable disable or lower? It should be running better than this.

• Options
    Any idea on what I should enable disable or lower? It should be running better than this.

First off: Are you sure you don't have a mod installed?

Then: Set Water-Multisampling to low.

If this doesn't help I'll gather up an install-guide for best performance.

• Options
    C2B wrote: »

First off: Are you sure you don't have a mod installed?

Then: Set Water-Multisampling to low.

If this doesn't help I'll gather up an install-guide for best performance.

I think I have underground hideout installed, but that's it.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    What sort of spec is the system you're running on?

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    So when I started NV up today I didn't have a mouse cursor. So I hit enter to get into my game and then neither the mouse or keyboard worked. I just stood there staring at a wall. Any ideas?

Alt-tab should fix that, if it's the same issue I've had.

76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Yorker wrote: »
    So when I started NV up today I didn't have a mouse cursor. So I hit enter to get into my game and then neither the mouse or keyboard worked. I just stood there staring at a wall. Any ideas?

Alt-tab should fix that, if it's the same issue I've had.

if you have a controller, unplug it.

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    if you are on a low end pc, try the less clutter mods (basically they remove what was considered valueless at the time) as well as reduce some of the more memory intensive geometry.

also isnt the memory extender still useful from the base 2/4? to 8 gig? its been awhile since ive played.

• Options
    The 4GB extender is useful if you have more than 2 GB of RAM.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    yeah that, its been forever since ive visited the wastes... i think i should go check the fo3 and the nv sites for new and exciting mods, i havent thrown up in weeks, ill be sure to update with any new abominations if i see them

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    You can try playing around with the Configator mod, for upping performance. It basically just tweaks the .ini files, but there's a brief explanation for everything and the potential impact it may have. Bit easier for casual use if you don't want to get into the guts of things.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Can someone help me with this UI mod? I have no idea what to do with this file and the instructions are kind of confusing.

edit: Nevermind. Figured it out. Apparently I had to download something else called 7 zip to extract it.

Also, does anyone recommend neveda skies? It looks pretty cool, but I don't want it if it's going to bog down the game a lot.

anoffday on
  • Options
    Can anyone help me out? I'm trying to install the underground hideout mod. All it says to do is put the 2 files from the core folder into the data folder. I'm doing that, and no hideout.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Okay, lets get the dumb questions out of the way first. You said you were new to modding the game.... Did you make sure the file was active? I.E is there a checkmark next to it?

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Are you using FOMM to manage your mods?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    It's cool. For some reason it just decided to work. I'm not sure what I did differently.

Anyway, wow. I'm seriously blown away by the underground hideout mod. This is amazing. This is why I bought NV for PC and why I will never be playing it on PS3 again. And the fact that it even came with it's own quest? I'm seriously in awe. They should hire this guy.

• Options
    It's cool. For some reason it just decided to work. I'm not sure what I did differently.

Anyway, wow. I'm seriously blown away by the underground hideout mod. This is amazing. This is why I bought NV for PC and why I will never be playing it on PS3 again. And the fact that it even came with it's own quest? I'm seriously in awe. They should hire this guy.
    The quest isn't bad....but honestly...just...just nocip through the lasers. It's not worth trying to do that legitimately. Unless that was changed.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I just got to the Hideout in my new run. It was like coming home. Home to a wall that craves my devotion, home to autosorting containers, home that is the bestest home.

Also, getting thoroughly trounced by every damn bug and powder ganger this time around. Low on ammo, crap guns in terrible condition..... loving every minute. Hopped into a couple of the AWOP Rumble zones and pretty sure I got 1-shotted barely a minute into the area. Whee!

• Options
    heenato wrote: »

The quest isn't bad....but honestly...just...just nocip through the lasers. It's not worth trying to do that legitimately. Unless that was changed.

The lasers in the last section? They weren't bad. It was just cool to see a quest to get the hideout. I thought it was a nice touch. And there's so much detail everywhere. Like being able to play the radio in certain rooms and light switches everywhere. I seriously love this mod. I would pay for this.

• Options
    You're gonna love it even more as you also get some decorations and trinkets that show up in the house as you clear certain quests. It's just the icing on the cake.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    As far as I'm concerned, New Vegas is over as soon as I've loaded up every shelf in the hideout. Every drink, every med, every weapon, every ammo type.

That scratches my completionist itch more than cheevo lists ever could.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    I just discovered my bedroom that I didn't even notice last night along with the secret wall and some new guns. This mod keeps getting better.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    So what are the DLC's I can do before finishing the end plot? All of them?

• Options
    Karl wrote: »
    You have to. Game doesn't continue after you finish the story.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Ah right. Best get to it. I'm about to start
    For the Republic Part 2. I'll hold off on that whilst I do the DLC.

• Options

Wow, really? That's annoying. Broken Steel let you continue FO3 after you beat the main game, right? There's no DLC for NV that lets you do that? No one has even made a mod?

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular

Wow, really? That's annoying. Broken Steel let you continue FO3 after you beat the main game, right? There's no DLC for NV that lets you do that? No one has even made a mod?

Not that I know of. It wouldn't make any kind of sense to do that, anyway. The game as it is wouldn't exist after the end, regardless of the path you took.

• Options
    There is a mod for it, at least. None of the DLC do it though.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options

Not that I know of. It wouldn't make any kind of sense to do that, anyway. The game as it is wouldn't exist after the end, regardless of the path you took.
    There is a mod that lets you continue after the end, but the game gives you a HUGE text warning that "This is the point of no return. If you go past this point, you can't go back." The end section is not very long, so there really isn't any reason to get a mod that lets you continue after the end. Just reload your old save (and I think the game auto-saves in a special slot at that point so you don't lose that save).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ApAiHP5CAAADXBP.jpg

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hey all, I'm not much of a modder for New Vegas due to I guess purist tendencies. I don't see the game needing much alteration. That said, I AM interested in the Underground Hideout mod. I tried installing it like they said, unpacking the related files into the data folder, but when I finally got around to moseying out to Spring Vale Mt Ranch or whatever it's called I couldn't find the hatch leading down into it. Is there any way to check that it's installed properly and I'm not just missing the damn hatch somehow? Was the underground hideout supposed to be marked on my map or given an intro quest a la DLC?

On an unrelated note, I like to make my Courier hispanic every time. Even in death I am stealing all your jobs America, how does that make you feel ahahahaha

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Hey all, I'm not much of a modder for New Vegas due to I guess purist tendencies. I don't see the game needing much alteration. That said, I AM interested in the Underground Hideout mod. I tried installing it like they said, unpacking the related files into the data folder, but when I finally got around to moseying out to Spring Vale Mt Ranch or whatever it's called I couldn't find the hatch leading down into it. Is there any way to check that it's installed properly and I'm not just missing the damn hatch somehow? Was the underground hideout supposed to be marked on my map or given an intro quest a la DLC?

On an unrelated note, I like to make my Courier hispanic every time. Even in death I am stealing all your jobs America, how does that make you feel ahahahaha
    Pick up FOMM, run it, and make sure the mod is active (checkbox is ticked next to the ESP and ESM files).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
This discussion has been closed.