Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PA comic: Mon. August 29, 2011

13

Posts

  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Indica1 wrote:
    What is the driving force behind the pony thing? Is it just meant to confuse and annoy people who aren't hip to it? Is it a symbolic reference to some horrible sexual fetish? Do people really watch the show?

    It's a children's show that has more than a few references for adults to pick up on, and the creators engage a lot with their internet fan base. So while you'd expect its traditional audience to be young girls, it has a surprisingly large following of adult men. As with any internet fandom, there are fans and detractors who take things too far.

  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Syphyre wrote:
    I have absolutely no clue what video game that is, but the cosplay is outstanding.

    Bioshock Infinite! It's looking pretty good.

  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak Registered User
    edited August 2011
    I go with the second option

    Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    you...you can't be talking about bioshock

  • Magus`Magus` Registered User regular
    The thing I find funny is that people always say it's 'a show for 8 year old GIRLS', as if it was for boys or something, well, that would be ok.

    Cute comic, regardless.

  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Let's not interact with the idiot.

    No hold on. This is ridiculous. This isn't just some tv show, that some people happen to like. The people who obsesses over this show, have deep issues, and it's not okay that Gabe and Tycho are indulging them. It's messed up. On many forums, you aren't even allowed to discuss the show because of how creepy those people are. I think you aren't paying attention. I think you just took a quick look at the situation and said "oh it's just some cartoon that some people like." It's way deeper than that. Yes, there are a few people who just happen to like it, but a majority of them have issues. I can understand wanting to be friendly and non-judgmental, so you allow discussions of a wide variety of tv shows and activities, but sometimes for people's own protection you have to draw a line. Telling these people that their community is okay, is not helpful to them or to us.

    217515308_pieor-L-2.jpg

    What is this I don't even.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I can't judge the accuracy of that Bioshock cosplay on account of how cute that girl is

  • Magus`Magus` Registered User regular
    It's fairly accurate.

  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote:

    These are pretty great. Well played, cos-folk.

  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Syphyre wrote:
    I have absolutely no clue what video game that is, but the cosplay is outstanding.

    The one rolo Posted? Bioshock Infinite.

    Edit: Oh hey, another page.

    EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    As Centipede was getting to, cute/hot chick that isn't dressed like a slut and shows a tasteful amount of cleavage is always a plus regardless of the character.

    NNID: Rehab0
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    This is not Gabe or Tyco, but she was at PAX and her costume is quite impressive:

    QkAYY.jpg

    Y'know, I think she's one of those rare people who cosplay but do it right. /swoon

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak Registered User
    edited August 2011
    well being good-looking kind of helps I think. Not to say her costume isn't nice

    I like this one http://imgur.com/x1YQg

    Alfred J. Kwak on
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Well what I mean is she put effort into getting the costume right, while choosing the right materials to make it actually presentable in real life. Sometimes people don't consider the differences wool / linen / leather / pleather bring about in re-

    ... I'm gonna stop here.

    Edit - And that photo is amazing, Alf.

    Henroid on
    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    uh so anyways. am i misunderstanding the comic? i thought the joke was that gabe would allow kara to do whatever with a female gabe

    from what i'm reading of this thread, I guess the joke was gabe wanting to be allowed to do stuff with female gabes?

    jCyyTSo.png
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Indica1 wrote:
    What is the driving force behind the pony thing? Is it just meant to confuse and annoy people who aren't hip to it? Is it a symbolic reference to some horrible sexual fetish? Do people really watch the show?

    Did you ever play Robot Unicorn Attack? The reason that was popular is that although on the surface it was daggy in a so-bad-that-it's-good sort of way, the underlying game was legitimately good.

    MLP is exactly the same. Yeah it's a show about rainbow coloured marshmallow ponies and the magic of friendship, and there's a certain ironic humour to it on that level, but actually watch it and it's also got good animation, interesting characters and it's funny.

    FYYss9j.png
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote:
    uh so anyways. am i misunderstanding the comic? i thought the joke was that gabe would allow kara to do whatever with a female gabe

    from what i'm reading of this thread, I guess the joke was gabe wanting to be allowed to do stuff with female gabes?

    No, you had it right the first time.

    Also, ssccss is a person.

    NNID: Rehab0
  • LTMLTM Registered User regular
    So this thread has gone from questioning MLP to swooning over girls in cosplay.

    You can take the new comic thread out of SE++, but...

  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Leovinus on SA had a pretty good post about the MLP subject:
    There is a new My Little Pony cartoon recently. Somebody posted a thread about it in the TVIV claiming it was better written than most kids' cartoons (in a still-for-little-girls way, not an Adventure Time way). The creator even said it was designed so that you didn't have to be a little girl to enjoy it, although to be honest if you're looking to appeal to all audiences don't write fucking My Little Pony cartoons. Originally I think most people thought it was a joke post, like that thread about the new series of Power Rangers from a while back.

    Then some people actually started watching the cartoons, because it's Alright To Do That. And then more people did and suddenly people were saying "whoa, this show is actually really good!" and then they started raving about it and buying themselves avatars. Bear in mind that this cartoon still isn't written, like, say, Earthworm Jim or Rocko, where everyone thinks it's great because of allegories and references or because he's a worm in a suit. It's a show about ponies doing girl things like having prom or arguing about hairstyles. Some people even got all uppity about it, buying avatars that say things like "Ponies. Problem?" like we're the ones who are weird for thinking it's creepy for mature male adults to really, really enjoy My Little Pony.

    Anyway, the upshot of all this is that a forum full of twenty-somethings who are usually known for being horribly cynical assholes about everything suddenly went My Little Pony crazy in a completely unironic fashion to the point where anyone who made fun of them in the thread got shouted down and I think a few people got probated. It was like something out of the fucking Twilight Zone. Really, really out there and surreal and unusual.

    Eventually somebody stepped in and banned all My Little Pony talk in TVIV. I've sat here for the last couple of minutes staring at that sentence, wondering if it's a real thing borne of real concepts. I mean, think about it. The SA Forums got incredibly worked up about My Little Pony cartoons to the point where mods had to say "any new threads about the My Little Pony cartoon will be gassed and the posters will be banned". There is now a forum rule specific to My Little Pony. I'm still not entirely convinced that the whole thing wasn't entirely in my mind. There remains, for me, the possibility that I'm sitting in an empty room at an asylum, wide-eyed and touch-typing forum posts on the plaster of my wall, hallucinating an entire internet community, unable to distinguish it from reality except in these moments where my neurons get all frazzled up and accidentally throw in a complete non-sequitur like a sudden influx of My Little Pony zealots. That, for me, is as reasonable an explanation for what happened as the idea that it all just happened like I described it.

    I've had weirder things trigger existential crises like this, but not fucking many.

    Adus on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Colin Farrell's expression in your avatar goes with that post really well.

    bowen wrote: »
    The bacteria in your poop exist everywhere.
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I will say that I find it hard to believe that once people are pulled from their weird little internet communities that they go around enthusiastically telling people about the virtues of My Little Ponies.

    In a sane world that should result in physical or verbal abuse quicker than accusing someone of having a case of the Mondays.

    NNID: Rehab0
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Where did this page come from.

    anyways, yeah, that Bioshock Infinite girl is pretty amazing.

    Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the filled shapes and word balloons.

  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    Rent wrote:
    if you're talking about SA and/or 4chan, the reason SA banned it was was there were far too many creepy weirdos basically being perverts and pedophiles in the 2 different threads created about the subject, both of which were locked due to rampant creepyposting. eventually the mods just got sick of modding the MLP SA thread and decided fuck it, we'll just ban discussion of it from the site because it's too much of a pain in the ass to deal with. basically the reasoning behind and implementation of a ban of MLP discussion from SA was the exact same as the reasoning behind and implementation of the ban of anime discussion on PA
    Pretty sure there were no perverts and pedophiles in the PA anime thread, and it was that people like Roger Wilco shouted it down.

    PAX was pretty dang good when it came to cosplay this year. There was even a highlight reel video posted:



    Personally I really liked the Catherine and Vincent cosplayers from Catherine, and I don't think they were even acquaintances, just two folks who really liked the game.

    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    i wasn't even in the anime thread for about a year before it got shut down

    PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote:
    I will say that I find it hard to believe that once people are pulled from their weird little internet communities that they go around enthusiastically telling people about the virtues of My Little Ponies.

    In a sane world that should result in physical or verbal abuse quicker than accusing someone of having a case of the Mondays.

    I haven't had that experience despite having rainbow dash shoes

    though I don't really get the desire to stick a pony in this comic either

    the result of this comic would be a gabe within a gabe. gabesception only sexy. gabesextion

  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote:
    Rehab wrote:
    I will say that I find it hard to believe that once people are pulled from their weird little internet communities that they go around enthusiastically telling people about the virtues of My Little Ponies.

    In a sane world that should result in physical or verbal abuse quicker than accusing someone of having a case of the Mondays.

    I haven't had that experience despite having rainbow dash shoes

    though I don't really get the desire to stick a pony in this comic either

    the result of this comic would be a gabe within a gabe. gabesception only sexy. gabesextion

    malkovich malkovich

  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Wait, was that Warjack really cosplayed, or was that just a statue that Privateer Press brought with them?

    What is this I don't even.
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    B:L wrote:
    Rent wrote:
    if you're talking about SA and/or 4chan, the reason SA banned it was was there were far too many creepy weirdos basically being perverts and pedophiles in the 2 different threads created about the subject, both of which were locked due to rampant creepyposting. eventually the mods just got sick of modding the MLP SA thread and decided fuck it, we'll just ban discussion of it from the site because it's too much of a pain in the ass to deal with. basically the reasoning behind and implementation of a ban of MLP discussion from SA was the exact same as the reasoning behind and implementation of the ban of anime discussion on PA
    Pretty sure there were no perverts and pedophiles in the PA anime thread, and it was that people like Roger Wilco shouted it down.

    PAX was pretty dang good when it came to cosplay this year. There was even a highlight reel video posted:



    Personally I really liked the Catherine and Vincent cosplayers from Catherine, and I don't think they were even acquaintances, just two folks who really liked the game.

    Recette petting pedobear was horribly funny. Emphasis on horrible.

    Edit: haha oh man in the other highlight video you get a brief few seconds look at the official Bioshock Infinite model standing around their display. She looks more like a cosplayer than that other girl does.

    Falx on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote:
    Wait, was that Warjack really cosplayed, or was that just a statue that Privateer Press brought with them?

    Statue.

    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    Rehab wrote:
    I will say that I find it hard to believe that once people are pulled from their weird little internet communities that they go around enthusiastically telling people about the virtues of My Little Ponies.

    In a sane world that should result in physical or verbal abuse quicker than accusing someone of having a case of the Mondays.

    you're suggesting that a "sane world" consists of physical violence against people who like the wrong cartoon

    uh

    faits.png
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Or verbal!

    I'm just saying if you are a young man and enthusiastically tell your friends about My Little Ponies that this should not be an unexpected result. Hell, it might not just be viewed as a matter of picking the wrong horse, it might also be seen as picking the gay one (or at least the girly one). I mean, we are talking about My Little Ponies here, lets not forget that. Even exclaiming that you like creepy anime would probably go over better.

    A less crass group of friends would just give you shit for liking it of course and leave out the rough housing. They would also leave out the part where they question your sexual orientation too if they are gentlemen. The flip side where you and your friends have gone insane is if you toast to ponies before throwing back some Jager Bombs, or you get together to watch the show. Watching it with your daughter or whatever is excusable of course. I would liken that situation to being trapped with a date and a rom com in a situation that doesn't really go anywhere.

    NNID: Rehab0
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    So you think people with dissenting opinions should be abused into abandoning their opinions in favor of those considered mainstream? I'm not implying anything, but you kind of appear to be outnumbered in this thread...

  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Google knows why people come to PA forums:

    temp-3.jpg

    TingleSigBar.gif
  • Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote:
    I'm just saying if you are a young man and enthusiastically tell your friends about My Little Ponies that this should not be an unexpected result. Hell, it might not just be viewed as a matter of picking the wrong horse, it might also be seen as picking the gay one (or at least the girly one).

    Yeah man, gay and/or girly guys should definitely be verbally and physically abused! You're a great person.

    I've only seen a couple episodes of the show and thought it mildly amusing at best, but the obsession some people have with making sure others don't like anything outside their gender/age roles strikes me as more creepy than anything the pony cartoon fanciers are doing*. You do realize there are plenty of people who'd think you're similarly childish and immature for playing videogames past your teenage years, right?

    Both the semi-ironic love for the show and the backlash strike me as having more to do with the name and past connotations than the show itself. The former because people went in expecting it to be terrible and were pleasantly surprised, and are thereby able to troll outsiders hilariously with their non-ironic appreciation, the latter because no one can believe a show based on pony dolls for little girls can be any good, and hence assume anyone claiming such is involved in an elaborate practical joke, insane, or brainwashed. Like the SA guy previously in the thread who could have soothed his existential crisis by watching it, going, "Eh, it's a pretty ok cartoon I guess", and moving on with his life.


    * Fine, maybe not everything. I can only imagine what the furry-fetish folks have done with it.

  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak Registered User
    edited August 2011
    Google knows why people come to PA forums:

    IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/JamWarrior/temp-3.jpg[/IMG]

    that is so me

    Alfred J. Kwak on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Actually nevermind.

    Adus on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    Jars wrote:
    Rehab wrote:
    I will say that I find it hard to believe that once people are pulled from their weird little internet communities that they go around enthusiastically telling people about the virtues of My Little Ponies.

    In a sane world that should result in physical or verbal abuse quicker than accusing someone of having a case of the Mondays.

    I haven't had that experience despite having rainbow dash shoes

    though I don't really get the desire to stick a pony in this comic either

    the result of this comic would be a gabe within a gabe. gabesception only sexy. gabesextion

    malkovich malkovich

    It's Gabes all the way down

    PSN: JoeUser80 Steam
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    B:L wrote:
    Rent wrote:
    if you're talking about SA and/or 4chan, the reason SA banned it was was there were far too many creepy weirdos basically being perverts and pedophiles in the 2 different threads created about the subject, both of which were locked due to rampant creepyposting. eventually the mods just got sick of modding the MLP SA thread and decided fuck it, we'll just ban discussion of it from the site because it's too much of a pain in the ass to deal with. basically the reasoning behind and implementation of a ban of MLP discussion from SA was the exact same as the reasoning behind and implementation of the ban of anime discussion on PA
    Pretty sure there were no perverts and pedophiles in the PA anime thread, and it was that people like Roger Wilco shouted it down.
    I'm the one that banned the SE Anime thread way back when and I'm pretty sure you are completely fucking wrong.

  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote:
    i wasn't even in the anime thread for about a year before it got shut down

    Hell I didn't even know there was a anime thread. Thought this forum was purely gaming only when I registered many moons ago.
    It's a show about ponies doing girl things like having prom or arguing about hairstyles.

    Must have missed those two episodes...

Sign In or Register to comment.