Options

That's it, nobody have sex anymore. Have fun finding the thread now! (okay games thread)

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Artreus wrote:
    I borrowed MGS4 from a friend when it first came out. The gameplay parts were fantastic, and the story was kind of fun at the beginning, then it went downhill really really quickly.

Never finished it. I did just get it for free though, so I might play through it.

I should try to play MGS3 again, I could not get into it. Shit is so ridiculous

If you thought the beginning of MGS3 was ridiculous, don't bother trying to play the rest. Sounds like MGS just isn't for you.

I loved MGS, was very happy with MGS2, but I don't know what it was about MGS3 that didn't appeal to me. It may have been the greatly changed stealth system, it may have been the jungle setting, I'm not sure. I never got much further than 2 hours in, but it's kinda moot, since my PS2 is dead.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Septus wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Artreus wrote:
    I borrowed MGS4 from a friend when it first came out. The gameplay parts were fantastic, and the story was kind of fun at the beginning, then it went downhill really really quickly.

Never finished it. I did just get it for free though, so I might play through it.

If you thought the beginning of MGS3 was ridiculous, don't bother trying to play the rest. Sounds like MGS just isn't for you.

I loved MGS, was very happy with MGS2, but I don't know what it was about MGS3 that didn't appeal to me. It may have been the greatly changed stealth system, it may have been the jungle setting, I'm not sure. I never got much further than 2 hours in, but it's kinda moot, since my PS2 is dead.

I had this same exact problem. I loved mgs1, at least played through and appreciated mgs2, and stopped dead in the beginning of mgs3 and haven't been back since. I keep meaning to play through mgs4 just because you can get it for a song but I haven't yet.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Okay, last night in GTA4 I managed to get my friendship with Brucie up high enough, not knowing what was about to happen.

He calls me. He says something along the lines of "HEY NIKO MY SUPERIOR BROTHER IF YOU WANT A CHOPPER JUST CALL ME UP" and I get an achievement.

I nearly woke up my girlfriend laughing my ass off at that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Peen wrote:
    Septus wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Artreus wrote:

I had this same exact problem. I loved mgs1, at least played through and appreciated mgs2, and stopped dead in the beginning of mgs3 and haven't been back since. I keep meaning to play through mgs4 just because you can get it for a song but I haven't yet.

Ironically, the problem with the early parts of MGS3 is that there aren't enough cut-scenes. You need to hike through a lot of jungle screens between every story event, at a point where the plot isn't yet interesting enough to justify it.

The last hour of MGS3 or so is one of the most effective videogame sequences I've ever seen, emotionally.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Shorty wrote:
    yeah and you probably finished the fight with
    ocelot
    at about midnight

I fail to see a problem

you fail to see a problem with a 2.5 hour long cutscene (I'm exagerrating, I haven't timed it, but a fair guess is 1.5 hours) which is at the end of a game full of half hour and hourlong cutscenes?

I guess you're the target audience then

Shorty on
  • Options
    SimBen wrote:
    Peen wrote:
    Septus wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Artreus wrote:

Ironically, the problem with the early parts of MGS3 is that there aren't enough cut-scenes. You need to hike through a lot of jungle screens between every story event, at a point where the plot isn't yet interesting enough to justify it.

The last hour of MGS3 or so is one of the most effective videogame sequences I've ever seen, emotionally.
    the part where you have to kill the Boss is probably the single most effective moment in videogame history. the fact that you have to pull the trigger, and are given no cue to do so, creates this perfect moment of sublime hesitation.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Peen wrote:
    Septus wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Artreus wrote:

I had that problem with MGS3

Grab Subsistence (or the HD collection coming out)

Once you get passed the first part (the Virtuous Mission) you will not put the game down

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I don think the first MGS had any absurdly long cut scenes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    MGS4 is ballin out of control and I will fight any oiled up old man who says otherwise.

MGS4-3 spoilers:
    The ending would've been 1000x better if it had you actually pulling RT to make Snake off himself in the graveyard, like how you had to plug The Boss yourself in MGS3.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    MGS1 was tight as shit. It was ridiculous and the plot wasn't anything to write home about but they kept it moving.

And yeah, I'm definitely picking up the HD collection when it comes out (and by picking up I mean getting someone to buy it for me for christmas).

• Options
    the first MGS zips right the fuck along

well, for a Hideo Kojima game

I think he worked out most of his narrative urges in the optional codec conversations

the dialogue is still pretty fucking dumb at times

and Snake is written to be an idiot, clearly as an excuse to explain stuff to the player

this is something he does in every game

which is why Naked Snake needs CQC explained to him

even though he helped invent it

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    aw man

i'd have liked to have been surprised by that gray ghost

I'm totally ok with Kojima selling me his Snake Story though.

Oh damn Cilla I'm really sorry
    I wasn't even thinking

S'ok. Not like it's a real heavily spoilery game.
    I already knew the part about riding up a rocket, but didn't know about kicking god into the sun. I've got something to look forward to now though!

• Options
    I believe someone was asking if there'd be an Uncharted 3 PS3 bundle. Welp, here you go, fella.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/09/21/new-playstation-3-uncharted-3-drake’s-deception-bundle-coming-soon/

Does the controller that comes with this bundle have rumble or is it one of the shitty ones

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    it's only been the DualShock 3 for like 3 years now

• Options
    I thought you have a PS3, Balefuego?

• Options
    MGS3 is a masterwork game. Just everything about it. If I ever go back and replay it though, it'll definitely be run-and-gun style. Being crazy meticulous about wearing proper camo and going 100% stealth/no-kill was fun and really satisfying the first time, but has such a steep time commitment. Crawling is not fast in that game.

• Options
    My roommate had one, but I moved into a new apartment

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    the funny thing about Sony claiming that rumble isn't next-gen is that they were right

even if they were lying about it and that wasn't why the sixaxis didn't have it

rumble is silly

it does not increase immersion

I always turn it off unless the game can make a truly compelling case for leaving it on, like that one racing game that actually uses it as a mechanic

and it always makes me laugh when it's called force feedback

such a lofty term for such a shitty and irrelevant thing

• Options
    I wasn't really bugged by the lack of rumble in the Sixaxis

It was just way too light

• Options
    MGS3 is a masterwork game. Just everything about it. If I ever go back and replay it though, it'll definitely be run-and-gun style. Being crazy meticulous about wearing proper camo and going 100% stealth/no-kill was fun and really satisfying the first time, but has such a steep time commitment. Crawling is not fast in that game.

it is a very, very good game with some excellent moments

but there are some shortcomings in the writing

mostly having to do with the fact that Kojima doesn't know how to handle exposition without making the main character an idiot

but on the whole it's easily the best MGS game

and moments like the one I described in a spoiler above put it in my personal top ten

• Options
    Keith wrote:
    I wasn't really bugged by the lack of rumble in the Sixaxis

It was just way too light

yeah, that's fair

I have the same problem with the wii's classic controller

it's got no girth

• Options
    I love rumble

But I play a lot of shooters

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Also yes the original ps3 controller felt so flimsy

I hated it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Shorty wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Shorty wrote:
    ocelot
    at about midnight

I fail to see a problem

you fail to see a problem with a 2.5 hour long cutscene (I'm exagerrating, I haven't timed it, but a fair guess is an 1.5 hours) which is at the end of a game full of half hour and hourlong cutscenes?

I don't think that's too much to wrap up a long-running saga with dozens of yet unanswered questions.

sig.gif
  • Options
    A controller needs some weight dammit.

And as far as Snake's stupidity in exposition goes, you're probably right Shorty, but it isn't something that has ever been noticeable to me in any MGS game at all. Not to say it isn't there in spades, but it literally just did not ever register.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    The new Ace Combat is pretty awesome

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    SimBen wrote:
    Shorty wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Shorty wrote:
    ocelot
    at about midnight

I fail to see a problem

you fail to see a problem with a 2.5 hour long cutscene (I'm exagerrating, I haven't timed it, but a fair guess is an 1.5 hours) which is at the end of a game full of half hour and hourlong cutscenes?

I don't think that's too much to wrap up a long-running saga with dozens of yet unanswered questions.

it might not have been, if it didn't laboriously explain everything that had already been explained

very little new information was actually conveyed in the ending for MGS4

here's what it was:

- a bit of epilogue (wee! good! this is what a game ending should be!)

- a bunch of rehash (I do not need to sit through Ocelot and Big Boss explaining shit I already knew for an hour)

and this is all done in the very worst dialogue of Kojima's career

wait, that's not entirely fair, I haven't played Peace Walker. I guess that could be worse.

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    I've owned MGS 4 for 3 years and have maybe played it for an hour. I think I got to the weapons seller guy and that's it.

I did just about the same thing, only I got maybe 3 hours in. The weird thing was that I binged on MGS1-3 (having never played them before) just in time for MGS4, so I was super excited. Then halfway through my enthusiasm died completely.

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    There aren't a lot of games that really use rumble well, but when they do (Ico and SotC for instance) it's amazing.

• Options
    Sometimes the rumble is just done really well. Like in driving games (not to beat a dead horse, but hey guys have I mentioned I'm playing GTA4) you have this rumble that's perfectly synched with the cracks and bumps in the road and it really feels like you're driving on it and that's awesome. Also properly synched rumble when firing a gun.

But yeah when it rumbles with a sword slash or when a shocking secret is revealed I'm like what the fuck are you even doing that's not immersive.

Really, Firefox? Immersive isn't a word?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    PatR10t

I was at a gun show last summer and one table had the Patriot gun

like, no stock, double drum magazine and everything

it was awesome

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote:
    the funny thing about Sony claiming that rumble isn't next-gen is that they were right

even if they were lying about it and that wasn't why the sixaxis didn't have it

rumble is silly

it does not increase immersion

I always turn it off unless the game can make a truly compelling case for leaving it on, like that one racing game that actually uses it as a mechanic

and it always makes me laugh when it's called force feedback

such a lofty term for such a shitty and irrelevant thing

I liked it when it was used for stuff like indicators. Like, I can't remember if the original Ocarina of Time has it, but the one in the collection bundle thing has the rumble go off whenever there's a gold skulltula nearby, which helps a lot.

• Options
    I think I love all the MGS games for totally different reasons, because they all had totally different feelings to them. MGS was the serious one, 2 was the one that just goes crazy with illuminati conspiracy nonsense, 3 is the totally silly one, and 4 is the enormous budget, fanservice one.

• Options
    MGS 2 might have been a little more tolerable if the game hadn't been conceived as a direct insult to its players

• Options
    3 was silly?

i mean it definitely had a not-entirely serious vibe going on with the boss fights but the story and (for the most part) characters were dead serious.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote:
    MGS 2 might have been a little more tolerable if the game hadn't been conceived as a direct insult to its players
    are you kidding

that's the best part of it

• Options
    edited September 2011
    3 was silly?

i mean it definitely had a not-entirely serious vibe going on with the boss fights but the story and (for the most part) characters were dead serious.

over-the-top would have been a better choice of terminology than silly

Shorty on
  • Options
    Shorty wrote:
    are you kidding

Yeah, I actually hated Raiden until I kind of realized that he was built with the intention of being hated. Then I loved him, because he plays his role so completely well

• Options
    Shorty wrote:
    are you kidding

I might have liked it if I had played it while I was still at an age where I thought trolling people was funny

This discussion has been closed.