As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things to do in and around Seattle

Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now.Outpost 31Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My wife and I are going to Seattle at the end of September. We'll be there for four or five days, and we're trying to get a few things together that we can do. She wants to go to Whidby Island, and we'll likely go downtown to the Space Needle and possibly Pike Place Market, but what are a few other tourist attractions that you good folk can recommend?

Also, can anyone recommend a good computer shop (preferably local) where one might pick up a graphics card at a good price? In Canada I'm paying pretty much $100 more on anything and I need to pick up a good card for Skyrim.

EDIT: We've done the SF Museum and the EMP. And I'll be satisfying all of my nerd needs at Card Kingdom on the 30th.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
Descendant X on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Pike Place Market, the Underground Tour, and Gas Works Park are 3 of the top tourist things I would never want to miss. Pike Place at the very least is essential. I don't think there are any good local computer shops, unless you want to trek down to Fry's, but I might be wrong about that one.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    What do you guys like to do? I like the Pacific Science Center, though it is a little kid-oriented. There's a bunch of cool window-shopping in Capitol Hill to be had which is very close to downtown (and there's another nerd store there as well). I like going to Uwajimaya and International District in general. There's the Arboretum, Asian Art Museum, and Green Lake is nice and pretty. Pike Place is worth going to.

TychoCelchuuu is on point regarding local computer shops. You might be better off having Amazon or NewEgg ship something to your hotel? Not sure...

Quail is just hipster chicken
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Personally, I like the view from the Columbia Tower more than the view from the Space Needle. Also, it's only $5 a person instead of $18 a person, and nowhere near as crowded. However, it isn't a full 360-degree view; only about 270-300 degrees. Also, it's only open 10:00ish-5:00ish on weekdays (might be 6:00 or something).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Ah, yes, depending on where you from, Uwajimaya/International District are great to wander around in (if you're from an Asian neighborhood/city it's slightly less interesting). If you're in to architecture, the public library is worth a look.

• Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    The Seattle aquarium is pretty neat place to go see. Its right on the waterfront, also there are the Duck Tours they seem pretty neat but haven't ever done it myself.

Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Discovery Park is absolutely beautiful.

Also, another vote for Gas Works Park.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    You could always arrange for newegg to deliver to your hotel.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, it turns out that I can get the video card for the same price here at a local shop, but thanks for the suggestions.

What is the nerd store that's on Capitol Hill?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    Get a Cuban sandwich from Paseo (Fremont or Ballard) and visit Kerry park. If you go to Paseo, you should try to get there in the afternoon sometime to guarantee that they have bread left (they'll often sell out by dinner time).

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    shwaip wrote:
    Get a Cuban sandwich from Paseo (Fremont or Ballard) and visit Kerry park. If you go to Paseo, you should try to get there in the afternoon sometime to guarantee that they have bread left (they'll often sell out by dinner time).
    If you go on the weekend, they absolutely sell out by dinner. Frequently, they sell out by 2:00.

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Check out the magical mystery tour thread on the PAX Prime pages - there's some really good stuff in there. The SF museum is a must, it has Red Dwarf in it!!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    If you want to check out some good local game shops (tabletop, imports, retro, all that variety jazz), there are several quite excellent ones. That I can think of right now:

Pink Gorilla has a store in the University district and one downtown, and specializes in retro/import stuff, things that are hard to get, and things you never thought of before but immediately want one when you see it.

Gamma Ray Games is just generally a dapper place for board games and tabletop stuff downtown.

There is a monorail going between downtown and the space needle/science fiction museum/music project, and it's fairly cheap while being neat to do once. The space needle is dubiously worth it, but the museums nearby are pretty excellent.

Oh, and if you like tea, the Perennial Tea Room is a great place to stop by. It's near the Market, and even if you don't want to buy any loose leaf stuff, they have a few different nice blends every day that you can get a cup of and relax with.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Taking the ferry to bainbridge island is actually pretty fun. A lot of people will actually just ride the ferry there and back. I think it's like 6 dollars a person or something. It's kind of cool to walk around bainbridge a little bit, and Cafe Nola has a pretty amazing sunday brunch.

There's a few speakeasy type bars that I've heard are kind of fun, although I've yet to go to them myself. The list is at the end. I've heard good things about the tavern law one, where you have to get buzzed in by using a phone in the bar.

Definitely go to paseos. Go there, wait in the amazing long line (don't worry it goes pretty quick), and get one of the best sandwhiches you'll ever eat. Possibly try out salumi's as well for their sandwiches/cured meats.

For touristy type adventure you can do the ride the ducks tour. It's actually pretty fun, and you get to go out on lake union, which is always awesome.

Argossy also offers dining, or sometimes themed, cruises on lake washington that are kind of fun, and kind of expensive.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    KatarineKatarine Registered User regular
    I will concur with everyone else who said Gas Works and Pike's Place. I would recommend the Kubota Garden as well, very beautiful place. Go to West Seattle and check out Bakery Nouveau for some of the best desserts (especially chocolate) around.

158?.jpg