As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Retro Gaming: Skies of Arcadia Legends

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    This is the only RPG Ive ever really, really been into.

I remember I traded a friend of mine SHADOWMAN for disc 1 of Skies, and then that guy moved.

So I still have disc 1 of Skies of Arcadia for the Dreamcast, with no Disc 2. I have never finished it. This makes me so, so sad.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Fuck you, thread. I'm in the middle of Xenoblade but now I want to go back and play this game again!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    I was hoping this game would be cheap on eBay/Amazon after reading the excitement in this thread. Turns out it's stupidly expensive. :(

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I have this sitting in a box somewhere, but I only played a few hours of it. What I did play was awesome.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Idx86 wrote:
    I was hoping this game would be cheap on eBay/Amazon after reading the excitement in this thread. Turns out it's stupidly expensive. :(

Took me a few weeks to track down a decently priced copy. I think I got it for ~$30.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote:
    Idx86 wrote:

Took me a few weeks to track down a decently priced copy. I think I got it for ~$30.

After both copies I owned became unplayable I bookmarked the Gamestop page for it until one became available to buy online. Got it for ~$15.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    I'm about 5 hours in. I escaped Valua City. This is pretty fun so far.

How did you guys deal with weapon colors? I switch them a lot to match up to enemy weaknesses. However it seems like it might be better in the long run to use them to learn magic. However, magic so far is underwhelming. Healing with items is the better option at this point. And spirit points are better spent on special attacks, not spells.

• Options
    Drachma is kind of a dick.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    captaink wrote:

How did you guys deal with weapon colors? I switch them a lot to match up to enemy weaknesses. However it seems like it might be better in the long run to use them to learn magic. However, magic so far is underwhelming. Healing with items is the better option at this point. And spirit points are better spent on special attacks, not spells.

Yeah, as long as you stock up on healing items (which shouldn't be much of a problem) you can avoid using MP and SP for healing spells other than the "oh crap I need to full heal now" ones. They're much better used for other spells and special attacks, especially the ones that buff you (Delta Shield, Justice Shield and the like). I don't even bother with most of the Silver spells, especially the insta-death ones that seem to never want to work even when they're most likely supposed to.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    SirUltimos wrote:
    God I love this game. There's just something so charming about the world and the characters. i enjoyed every single minute of it.
    This.^ So sad we'll never get sequel.

• Options
    GamjeezGamjeez Registered User new member
    Loved this game on the Dreamcast, I really need to get around to picking it up again and having another play through.

Geoff 'Gamjeez' Schultz
    Co-founder of TwoFedoras.com - Game news, reviews, and culture.
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    captaink wrote:

Pretty much the only character that should learn to use spells to acually use them is Fina, and even then it could be argued you should do so only until either she gets Lunar Winds for attacking or Vyse gets his last skill and she's just there to Focus so you can spam Pirate's Wrath.

In fact, my only, only complaint about the game is how it seems the best strategy in the last third of the game devolves to the other 3 party members spamming focus (unless you need a Delta Shield/Lunar Winds/heal/etc) for Vyse to use Pirate's Wrath as often as he can.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    captaink wrote:
    Drachma is kind of a dick.
    No spoilers, but you'll regret saying that, later in the game. So sad.

• Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    One thing I loved about this game that I've never seen any other game do was the dynamic battle music. it would change depending on how you were doing in the battle.

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    That was one of my favorite things about the game. It's the boss theme for 80% of the fight and then you deal one more attack and the music completely changes tone and you're all "Oh yes, you are going DOWN." Then they'd get a turn and it would go back and you'd say "Oh no you don't!" and deal enough damage to make sure it never changes again.

• Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    I bought this for super cheap like a month ago.

I should get back to it.

• Options
    Yeah you should, but no you had to go and play Arc Rise Fantasia instead. LOOK HOW WELL THAT TURNED OUT FOR YOU.

• Options
    I REGRET NO-EVERYTHING

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    This game has wonderful lack of angst.

• Options
    Yes! I love that Vyse is upbeat and excited to see the world and have adventures.

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    august wrote:
    This game has wonderful lack of angst.

So much this. Like the opposite of any recent FF game.

More RPGs need to embrace the storyline of a bunch of awesome people going off to have dope adventures: because who doesn't like having adventures, especially when they're dope?

That's right, I said "dope".

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I was blown away that
    your father doesn't die and is never put in danger and at the end he tells you how awesome you are. Then you ride off into the sunset with your two hot girlfriends.

• Options
    I survived Recumen and beat The Lynx. Those were some good ship boss fights.

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    God, I love this game so much. Thank you thread, for bringing back such great memories. I remember the game being so beautiful, which made exploring so rewarding. Even the dungeons were great-looking. In the Lower Valua sewers, there's a hallway with a crumbling floor, through which you can see lighting flashing. SO COOL.

Some tips:

1. For weapon color / magic experience, I always try to make sure everyone has different colors. Vyse gets whatever color is most effective, while Aika and Fina usually get whatever magic I most want to learn first (usually green and silver).

2. Don't run from battles, if it bothers you that the game tracks that stat. No real punishment that I know of.

3. Don't watch the trailer that plays if you leave the game at the title screen for too long. It contains some hefty spoilers. Seriously.

LOOPERS. FUCKING LOOPERS.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    august wrote:
    I was blown away that
    your father doesn't die and is never put in danger and at the end he tells you how awesome you are. Then you ride off into the sunset with your two hot girlfriends.
    Well there is that thing in the beginning where the father got kidnapped and sent to Valua.
    But then you broke in, broke all the pirates free, and killed the executioner 'cause that's how Blue Rogues roll.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Playin' this now. Having some fun.

• Options
    Rex Dart wrote:
    God, I love this game so much. Thank you thread, for bringing back such great memories. I remember the game being so beautiful, which made exploring so rewarding. Even the dungeons were great-looking. In the Lower Valua sewers, there's a hallway with a crumbling floor, through which you can see lighting flashing. SO COOL.

Some tips:

1. For weapon color / magic experience, I always try to make sure everyone has different colors. Vyse gets whatever color is most effective, while Aika and Fina usually get whatever magic I most want to learn first (usually green and silver).

2. Don't run from battles, if it bothers you that the game tracks that stat. No real punishment that I know of.

3. Don't watch the trailer that plays if you leave the game at the title screen for too long. It contains some hefty spoilers. Seriously.

If 2 is a concern then you should know the game also tracks your deaths. Like whenever anybody gets knocked out ever. So if that matters be aware of that, but just know that it is impossible to beat the game with no deaths and getting every moral choice correct. There's one during some later point in the game where you get the choice of basically "Give me the stuff or you die." If you don't then your choice is right, but you have to fight an unbeatable boss. You must die. If you give the stuff up then they're like "Yo Vyse what the fuck man?" but you don't have to do a battle. So just be aware of that if you care. When I tried to do a perfect run I just gave up the stuff. It looks cool, but the fight is just a waste of time.

• Options
    I don't think I care that much.

I just did the second bounty fight. It was a good fight, but combat is so slow. I appreciate that they added in some movement and stuff, but it makes some of the animations take a long time. I did the fight twice and it took 30 minutes.

• Options
    So the South Sea is a huge pile of bullshit. Does it get easier to deal with later? I missed some discoveries in there but I hate it so much.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Gilder wrote:
    Rex Dart wrote:

Some tips:

If 2 is a concern then you should know the game also tracks your deaths. Like whenever anybody gets knocked out ever. So if that matters be aware of that, but just know that it is impossible to beat the game with no deaths and getting every moral choice correct. There's one during some later point in the game where you get the choice of basically "Give me the stuff or you die." If you don't then your choice is right, but you have to fight an unbeatable boss. You must die. If you give the stuff up then they're like "Yo Vyse what the fuck man?" but you don't have to do a battle. So just be aware of that if you care. When I tried to do a perfect run I just gave up the stuff. It looks cool, but the fight is just a waste of time.

You can fight him to a standstill but you can't win. Kind of annoying but oh well.

• Options
    Yeah I think it's like the early Galcian fight on the train, where if you do the battle and get them to 25% or 50% HP they stop taking damage or something and begin to cast instant death over and over. I think they still take damage but their health won't go any lower.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    The worst part was that the "hopeless" fights, those you have to lose didn't have the boss use ridiculously overpowered moves, I just kept fighting and not winning and using items and then I discover that I want to die? So lame.

• Options
    So, bigger or better engines for the South Sea? Does that ever happen?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    captaink wrote:
    So, bigger or better engines for the South Sea? Does that ever happen?

Yes.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Great. I will get those discoveries later then. Fuck that zone, it felt like it took an hour.

• Options
    It doesn't really help so much INside the zone, though.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    So being 'late' to discoveries doesn't matter for getting the super-great titles at the end, does it? I just get less money when I sell the info to the guild?

• Options
    edited September 2011
    I don't think it affects your title because I think all you need to do is find every discovery. I don't think it matters if you weren't the one who found it first. I do think you need to find 90% of the treasure chests though, and a lot of areas are one-time only. So be careful of that if you want the final title. Or maybe that's for the 3 Secrets?

Gilder on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Ahh there are so many rpgs I want to play, but if I start too many I get confused and they more than likely don't get finished.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Gilder wrote:
    I don't think it affects your title because I think all you need to do is find every discovery. I don't think it matters if you weren't the one who found it first. I do think you need to find 90% of the treasure chests though, and a lot of areas are one-time only. So be careful of that if you want the final title. Or maybe that's for the 3 Secrets?

90% is for the 3 Secrets, 100% is for the final title. If you meet all the other qualifications and not the 100% chests you end up at Vyse the Fisher King if I recall correctly. Not how I'd choose to be immortalized, but then again the like 1 chest I missed at the very beginning didn't give me much choice in the matter. The bastard.