As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Retro Gaming: Skies of Arcadia Legends

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Finally found that Beak rock motherfucker. I think all my running around has overleveled me. I took on the Moonstone Mines with no trouble whatsoever. Now I have to use the priest that I rescued to find Rixis.

Vyse has gotten most of my moonberries so far. I unlocked all of his attacks, the last one kicks some serious ass. Now I am working on Fina's stuff. Her last special seems really awesome, except she's the one most likely to die.

captaink on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    If you think Pirate's Wraith is awesome, wait till you get the crew attacks...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    That is exciting, Pirates' Wrath currently destroys anything, I beat the boss on top of Rixis by using it twice.

I'm currently in the aftermath of venturing through the iron gate into the North Ocean. :(

• Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast is one of my all time favorite games. By the end of the game I actually found myself daydreaming about being a sky pirate when I was away from my console.

The soundtrack is absolutely brilliant too.

Every time I listen to Little Jack makes me want to head out for a grand adventure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFcH84oNU6s

I stuck around Ix'ataka forever just listening to the music loop over and over:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F-hJjD3XAs

One of these days I really need to play the Gamecube Skies of Arcadia Legends. I own it and it's been sitting in my bookshelf forever. Maybe now is finally the right time with this thread. :D

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Damn you for reminding me how fantastic that soundtrack is.

Currently looking to see if I can purchase it somewhere.

EDIT: Looks like ebay is the only place I can get it.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Just picked up Gilder and now it looks like both halves of my team are treasure hunting.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    captaink wrote:
    Just picked up Gilder and now it looks like both halves of my team are treasure hunting.

Ah yes, Daccat's Treasure. That was... that was something.

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    Daccat's treasure is the BEST treasure.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    This.
    This is the BEST game.
    I agree with every single good thing people said about it here. I felt like one of the crew. So good.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Whoever said the opening movie has spoilers, it does not. Not on the Gamecube at least. It's just a roundup of the major characters.

And these treasure comments have me intrigued, I am going to go investigate.

• Options
    Worst. Treasure. Ever.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    captaink wrote:
    Worst. Treasure. Ever.

I assume you mean Best. Treasure. Ever. I mean, it reunited Vyse with Aika and Fina. How is that not the greatest treasure of them all?

OK, the actual greatest treasure is coming up shortly, but friendship is still pretty good.

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    captaink wrote:
    Whoever said the opening movie has spoilers, it does not. Not on the Gamecube at least. It's just a roundup of the major characters.

And these treasure comments have me intrigued, I am going to go investigate.

Must be the second one then. Trust me on this. Of course, it may not seem like a spoiler at this point in the game.

• Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    captaink wrote:
    Worst. Treasure. Ever.

Talk to the sailor's guild guy who's in like every town next chance you get.

• Options
    Oh god, I wish there were still time stamps on those two posts. :lol:

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I will just echo what others have said: this is one of my favorite games of all time, across all platforms.

The bright colors, the upbeat attitude, the music, and just the whole package; the game makes me feel happy playing it.

I would do unspeakable things for a sequel.

• Options
    I got the Delphinus. Now this is an airship.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote:
    If you think Pirate's Wraith is awesome, wait till you get the crew attacks...

GET A LOAD OF THESE! *BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM*

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    I made it to Esperanza. Great naming guys. :)
    The White Map is an exploration godsend. I picked up a bunch of discoveries and crew members, including my leading exploration competitor.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    captaink wrote:
    I made it to Esperanza. Great naming guys. :)
    The White Map is an exploration godsend. I picked up a bunch of discoveries and crew members, including my leading exploration competitor.

The track that plays there? My favorite piece of music in the game. High on my list of favorite game musics, as well.

• Options
    Sell it for 20k.

• Options
    Made it to the Black Rift. This place is kind of spooky.

And these bounty fights are hard. I barely beat the Gunarm one. The Ixa'taka Demons I will have to come back to.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    captaink wrote:

And these bounty fights are hard. I barely beat the Gunarm one. The Ixa'taka Demons I will have to come back to.

That place was a nightmare for me. It's not as bad if you know the route. And I'm pretty sure the Gamecube version tones down the encounters.

Beyond that lies an awesome act of the game.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Just make sure you find the missing sailor in the rift.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Yes I found Robinson. Very subtle.

• Options
    He was the only crew member I missed in the DC version. I made DAMN sure I got him in GC.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    captaink wrote:

The Ixa'taka Demons are the one fight where I always use the item to max out the Spirit Gauge right away. (Medal of Valor? I can't remember.) You get one as a reward after the battle, so it's an even trade.
    Hitting them with a Prophecy so I can take one of them out fast, and avoid their triple-attack.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I am outside the boss' door in Kazai Mountain. A relatively easy water dungeon, compared to some others ;)

Is the typical boss strategy the same for me as it is others? Increm Vyse, everyone focus, Pirate's Wrath? Maybe throw up a Justice Shield or Delta Shield if necesary. Because that's vastly more effective than anything else I've found.

• Options
    captaink wrote:
    I am outside the boss' door in Kazai Mountain. A relatively easy water dungeon, compared to some others ;)

Is the typical boss strategy the same for me as it is others? Increm Vyse, everyone focus, Pirate's Wrath? Maybe throw up a Justice Shield or Delta Shield if necesary. Because that's vastly more effective than anything else I've found.

Pretty much.
    I tend to throw Fina's Regen move in there too for completeness, but by then you can buy so many healing items it's not really needed.
    The difficulty curve on the main game tends to go backwards. Early on you don't have the spirit or the moves to just power through, and a few of the early bosses can go bad really fast (The Executioner comes to mind).

After that, it's mostly downhill.

The bonus bosses in Legends are the exception though.

• Options
    Yeah I've had to have a second or third try on every bounty boss so far. They're a little more substantial, as bosses go.

• Options
    I liked it how you and your team became such bad-asses though. Granted it's easier if everything not trying to kill you every 2 steps.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    I have now circumnavigated the globe. I'm Air-Magellan.

• Options
    I'd have loved it if they'd turned that on its head. Or just acknowledged the actual shape of the world.
    "We always thought the world was a sphere, but it turns out it's a torus."

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Skies of Arcadia is pretty much one of the last good JRPGs out there. Always wanted to try to do a LP of it, but I do not currently have the equipment to do so.

You will learn to hate the next Gigas. So damn satisfying that the Delphinus is just like, "Yeah, you know those exploits you had to do to defeat Recumen and Grendel? Screw that, we're blowing this bastard the hell up."

• Options
    The blue gigas? I beat him. He hit somewhat hard, but not as hard as my moonstone cannon. Increm <3

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    It's mostly because he evades cannon fire so often, and I don't think you have many good options when it comes to torpedoes at that point.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Wasn't really a problem for me. I'm heading to the ice land now. My base is awesome! How far am I approximately?

captaink on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Once you get the Delphinus all the Gigas are easy, and the Little Jack Gigas are more puzzles than fights. It's a little disappointing that the difficulty really drops off. The yellow Gigas is barely even feels like a boss.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    I beat up my impostor. That was a hell of a tough fight. I had to use Justice Shield every turn (god bless that skill) and whittle them down one by one while Fina and Aika healed and focused. I eventually got enough SP for a Prophecy, but only after I'd beaten Faina, and the next one was half-dead.

• Options
    At this point I think I'm going to have to burn an Aura of Valor on these Ixa'ness bitches