As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GAME.UK and the VAT tax

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm in the US and trying to order a game from GAME.UK and it's charging me the VAT tax. Is this right?

Magic Pink on

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Yep. Unless it's a business expense.

Casual on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    No, it's not right actually. No other online site in the UK is doing it.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:

They will have included it in the price already. In the states you have variable taxes so you don't include them, in the UK VAT is always the same, so we include it in prices in the majority of cases.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I know that foreign visitors to the UK can, in theory (i.e. if they use a retailer that participates in the scheme, has the paperwork to hand at the time of purchase, and know what the hell to do with said paperwork) reclaim VAT from HMRC.

I have no idea if that applies to goods purchased in the UK from outside the UK. In principle I think you should be able to, but I doubt there's a simple way to go about it.

What sites aren't applying VAT?

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    In theory you shouldn't have to pay VAT, or at the very least should be able to reclaim it.

The Rules.

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    If you're in the US why bother going through a UK site? Is it something particularly hard to find? If you ask for a VAT receipt (I think thats the terminology) you can submit that and get your VAT back if you're not a UK resident.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    japan wrote:
    I know that foreign visitors to the UK can, in theory (i.e. if they use a retailer that participates in the scheme, has the paperwork to hand at the time of purchase, and know what the hell to do with said paperwork) reclaim VAT from HMRC.

I have no idea if that applies to goods purchased in the UK from outside the UK. In principle I think you should be able to, but I doubt there's a simple way to go about it.

I think some of the big retailers have sites "based" in the Channel Islands, so may be able to escape all or some of the VAT rate that way

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Kalkino wrote:
    japan wrote:

I think some of the big retailers have sites "based" in the Channel Islands, so may be able to escape all or some of the VAT rate that way

Pretty much all of them do. Also a lot of mail order contact lens places. There's a VAT exemption for goods below a certain value being imported to the UK (about £15 or so think) that was intended to protect the Channel Islands horticultural industry (really) but also conveniently means that you can send the average CD or DVD from there to the UK without incurring VAT.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

They will have included it in the price already. In the states you have variable taxes so you don't include them, in the UK VAT is always the same, so we include it in prices in the majority of cases.

No they aren't. The other places have the exact same price and GAME has a seperate listing for VAT charge. If the cost is included in the price then GAME is charging it twice.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

No they aren't. The other places have the exact same price and GAME has a seperate listing for VAT charge. If the cost is included in the price then GAME is charging it twice.

This is more likely just the result of Game being generally overpriced.

It's probably the Channel Islands thing, since some experimenting reveals that if you put something in your basket that costs around a tenner (thus being less than the exemption threshold) then they list the VAT but don't apply it to the total. Play and the like presumably just do this invisibly as they don't list VAT separately on their "basket" page.

Their help pages say: "Standard VAT is charged, where applicable, on all orders shipped. You are responsible for claiming back any VAT that you feel is due to you from your local tax or customs office."

Funnily enough I was talking about VAT today at work. From talking to HMRC it seems that it is, in general, extremely difficult to arrange a transaction in the UK where VAT is not charged. Those times when it happens generally involve vast sums of money and the direct involvement of HMRC, or freaky import/export arrangements involving shipping agencies and bonded warehouses. If VAT doesn't apply to you (if say, you're a business, etc) then it's generally on you to pay it initially and then claim it back.

japan on