As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

From linux to windows

h3nduh3ndu Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have this computer. It has linux on it - fedora core something - and I'd like to put windows xp pro back on this thing - promblem is it's not doing it - I start up the computer with the windows cd in, it says "press any key to boot from CD..." I press any key - it then says "setup is inspecting your computers hardware configuration" and then it does nothing. So yeah. I have little to no experiance with Linux (this was an experiment of my friends that he lost interest in) so if you do give me instructions please make them incredibly clear because honestly I have no idea what to do.

Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea.
h3ndu on

• Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This doesn't sound like a Linux issue, it sounds like your Windows disc doesn't like the hardware, or is corrupt. See if a different Windows disc, or a different version of windows, will work.

supabeast on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Roger.

h3ndu on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Same problem.

h3ndu on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The Windows XP install disc, being made by brain-damanged monkeys, crashes at that stage if you have anything even slightly weird going on with your partition table. You'll need to use fdisk from a bootable Linux disc to wipe the partition table clean and start over.

That kind of thing has happened to me like twice. I think the Vista install disc fixed this problem but I'm not sure so don't take my word for it.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    so yeah...

fdisk.

What is fdisk?

and doing some research on my own I found this. Could it be exactly what I need?

h3ndu on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Ok Ok I struggle; Now in the command promt I type out fdisk and it bring up this
    usage: fdisk [-1] [-b SSZ] [-u] device
    E.g.: fdisk /dev/hda (for the first IDE disk)
    or: fdisk /dev/sdc (for the third SDDI disk)
    or: fdisk /dev/eda (for the first PS/2 ESDI drive)
    or fdisk /dev/rd/c0d0 or: fdisk /dev/ida/c0d0 (for RAID devices)

now for each one do I enter into the command promt fdisk/dev/whatever and then enter in d to delete the partition? Am I on the right track here or am I fucked?

h3ndu on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Oh man. I feel smart. Thanks for the help. This one wrapped up nicely.

h3ndu on