As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Installed some upgrades...am I screwed?

BullioBullio Registered User regular
Bought an OCZ PSU and Radeon HD 6870. Got them installed, everything is hooked up correctly (near as I can tell, I've physically checked connections numerous times), and...*beep beep*. A web search indicates the two BIOS beeps are due to the video card not being detected. I've had this before when messing around the PCIe slot and reseated the card to fix it. I've done that numerous times so far with my old and new card and nothing. I have a Dell XPS 420 (I know, I know...) and it has one of those Windows SlideShow mini viewer integrated LCD screens (not entirely sure the exact title of it, Google the XPS 420 to see what I mean), and it's telling me (paraphrased) "Error detecting ATA device during POST. No video device detected." Now, I did manage to get the Radeon working at one point and probably should have left it, but I was getting a blank, black screen on startup (no video). Monitor was connected snugly and correctly at that point. My old card, 8800GT, doesn't seem to want to cooperate at all. I've been careful while removing and installing the new hardware, but I guess it's possible something happened? The amber light on the mobo is a solid and unblinking when there's power running to the comp but not actually switched on, which I've been lead to believe means everything there is normal.

The fact that I got the comp to boot at one point without BIOS beeps indicates to me that, if not for the black screen, everything was working correctly. Meaning the new PSU isn't faulty and all of my other connections are fine (I haven't fiddled with them since). I'm at my ends here and am completely lost as to what to do. Is this a lost cause, and did I totally fuck up my previously perfectly working PC? Or is there some glimmer of hope that not all is lost?

EDIT: Solved. I was wondering why there were two 6-pin outlets on the Radeon...Doesn't explain why the 8800GT isn't cooperating, but at this point I don't care. I'm guessing it was accidentally damaged or something, but I have no idea how.

steam_sig.png
Bullio on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Aw man, I was totally going to ask if you had plugged in the power cables.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Haha, yep, these 6870s are quite thirsty. Glad you got it sorted, though.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust