As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Internet problems

OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripateticRegistered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So we've got a netgear router set up. It's connected to my computer w/ a cable, to my xbox w/ a cable, and to a switch via another cable. The switch is then connected to a computer and another xbox. This has all been working for quite awhile.

Today the internet is down. Shrug, okay. I finally decide to try plugging just my computer into the modem. It works. I try plugging the other computer into the modem, it doesn't. Same for the xbox. Only my computer plugged into the modem works.

Any ideas? Seems like if the internet were down it'd be down for everyone. I am running windows 7 while the other computers were a mac and windows xp.

OnTheLastCastle on

• Options
    Glirk DientGlirk Dient Registered User regular
    So to isolate the problem, anything plugged into the router wont work unless plugged into the modem? What about just plugged into the switch?

Also try to un plug the power from all the internet things and let it sit for 10 seconds. Plug the modem back in, then the switch and then the router and see if that helps.

Also when you are plugged into the router try to access it through your computer. Go to start and run command. Type in ipconfig /all and find the default gateway. Type that into your browser and see if you can access the router. If that works then the connection from your computer to router is fine and there is something up between the router/switch or modem.

XBL gamertag: GlurkDient
    Steam Username:Glirk_Dient