As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How long before announcing pregnancy? [SOLVED]

belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey All.

I just found out my wife is pregnant (this is a good thing) after trying for 8 months. Now, I'm a big negative what-if-er, so I don't want to tell anyone I really know until it's "safe." I know that there isn't really any safe time, but what would you consider a good time-threshold before we start letting friends and family know?

She's 6 weeks pregnant now.

belligerent on

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Most people wait until the end of the first trimester, as that is the most likely period when something can go wrong

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Major organogenesis is going on right now, most people wait until week 12 or so because that's when you'll have the first ultrasound that will cover all of the major organ systems and you'll know if something serious is going on.

Registered Nurse, Master's Degree in Anesthesia here.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Thank you. I'm an idiot: is twelve weeks the same as 1st trimester?

• Options
    Thank you. I'm an idiot: is twelve weeks the same as 1st trimester?

Yeah, a trimester is three months or 12 weeks.

• Options
    Also, congratulations! Forgot that part while answering your question!

• Options
    KatarineKatarine Registered User regular
    Congratulations!

158?.jpg
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    We usually tell immediate family right away and then everyone else somewhere between week 9 and 12. The reason for the former is because my wife wants that support network if anything does happen (like it did a few months ago).

• Options
    Thank you for your thoughts. I told her it was okay to tell her mother, because I doubt I could have stopped her. But I was curious more about non-immediate family. Thanks again, for your insight, both personal and professional.

Also, sorry for your loss, S C.