As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TF2 crashing

ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
Lately TF2 has been crashing for me. Originally the messages were just "hl2.exe (or similar) has stopped working". I defragged through Steam and it crashes less, but it still does like once or twice a day. However, the message is now "Can't lump 53, allocation of 109337689 bytes failed!!!". Anyone have an idea of what's going on?

I have looked through the forums and can't find anything similar, or may be I'm just missing something. Any advice is appreciated.

EDIT: The reason I posted this here is because the message "Can't lump 53, allocation of 109337689 bytes failed!!!" worried me, and I'm hoping its only TF2 related, not anything bigger.

steam_sig.png
PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
ShinyRedKnight on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bad sector on your hard drive would be my guess. Did you try scandisk?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Is that hard drive properties>Tools>Error-checking?

Also, TF2 is on my secondary hard drive which contains only games. So would I check the hard drive where the game is, or my OS hard drive?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'd do both, but you can probably get away with that 2nd drive. And yeah that's it. Make sure you check all boxes, and reboot the computer. Go out to a few movies or do it overnight as it'll take a few hours.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Alrighty, thanks!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Well, both hard drives are done, if something was wrong it fixed it or it didn't show up. Would that be it then?

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    An update, I got the same message again from TF2. This seems to be happening just with that game. Any other steps I can take? Again, any help is appreciated.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well at least it's probably not a bad sector. Have you tried reinstalling it from steam directly (web install)? That check game cache stuff isn't usually super helpful.

Also did you buy dead island? It gave me some issues with another game I had installed through steam for some reason.

• Options
    Well, after googling and looking up Steam forum pages, it seems this was a rather widespread issue a few years back, and has popped back up since the last patch. Hopefully Valve can fix it.

I haven't purchased Dead Island, the last Steam game I got was Deus Ex, though the TF2 patch came out around that time I believe.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Awesome. At least it's nothing too serious. Always a good time to reevaluate your backup options!

• Options
    Yup! Thanks for the help.

steam_sig.png