As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Poké] The Last Sane Pokémon

• SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    no takers?

• Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    kiss me squall

• alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    27grimerface.png: *Mwaaaaaaaggghhhh*

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • paperstsoapco52paperstsoapco52 Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Three horns don't play with longnecks.

EDIT: Dragon pokemon don't kiss Fighting pokemon. Totally what I said the first time.

paperstsoapco52 on
    reckon he'd have a hard time kissing anyone sans lips

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I am having a devil of a time making one of those mini-AVs for Bro.

Also I lost internet yesterday because lightning struck the line for the third time this year. I am (I believe) reasonably pissed at this proof that lightning can indeed strike the same place twice.

terrendos you are the luckiest guy for sure

• Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Terrendos wrote:
    I am having a devil of a time making one of those mini-AVs for Bro.

Kinda a moot point now, once you become a pokemon you have no need for human mini-avs.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    GGttH.png : who needs humans

D9awK.png Humans are inferior.

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    :(

but they're so tasty

• MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular

PMDDScreen5.gif

MarshAV.png Alright, so the people who are in are...
    PMDDScreen4.gif

Shock as... Enh ki the Slowpoke!
    Terrendos as... Kaboom the Pineco!
    Squall as... Rook the Tyrogue!
    Rawk as... Daryl the Meowth!
    and
    Pigeon as... Nevada the Eevee!

Thank you Kro and Fightclubreference for your submissions, it was a very hard decision all around, and if I find I have the time and capabilities to take on a couple more players, you will be sure to receive a PM begging forgiveness and asking you if you would deign join the game.

edited September 2011

PMDDSleep.gif

MarshGM.png You slumber peacefully in the shadows cast by the leafy boughs above you. The wind whistles gently through the branches above and grass below, and the smell of sap and damp dirt is wrapped around you like a blanket. The slightly moist ground, still a bit wet from the night's dew, keeps you cool in your quiet, dreamless sleep.

PMDDSleep2.gif

MarshGM.pngSuddenly the forest echoes with a cry of terror, quickly rousing you from your nap. Looking around yourself in confusion, you find you cannot recognize this forest, nor do you remember the four confused-looking Pokemon around you. In fact, there's not very much you can remember, except for something about portals and "jeems".

And something about being Chosen.

What do you do?

GAME START!
    12 Voltage Generated!

Current Arena is: Dense
    Generator:
    Voltage2.gifVoltage.gifVoltage5.gifVoltage.gifVoltage3.gifVoltage2.gifVoltage.gifVoltage4.gifVoltage6.gifVoltage5.gifVoltage4.gifVoltage.gif

The Generator holds the group's VOLTAGE. Any time one of your fellow players does something particularly cool, awesome, or funny, you should reward them by giving them a Voltage. The gifted Voltage is removed from the Generator and is added to the player's Cache. They may spend those Voltage at any time to trigger an effect.

One Point
    • Add a+2 to any Attribute Roll.
    • The Arena happens to have something handy or useful in it.
    • Add a cool effect to an Attack or Attribute Roll.
    • Use a per-arena talent again in the same arena.

Two Points
    • Do one more point of damage after a successful attack.
    • Heal a single point of damage that you’ve just taken.
    • Create a helpful NPC.
    • Recharge a rested Talent outside of combat.

Three Points
    • Use a Talent from your class that you don’t have yet.

Marshmallow on
    edited September 2011
    D9awK.pngOk. Uh. Shit. Enh ki (maybe I should change that name) starts to amble on over to the source of the noise.

Do I have to like roll for ambling potency or something?

Shock G on
    edited September 2011
    MarshGMUh.pngNah, you can just scoot yourself right along. Though the Arena is Dense, there's not very many trees to get in the way in that direction. Gimme a sec to draw up a thingie. <Knew I shoulda done these maps in advance, shit.>

Marshmallow on
    D9awK.pngThat's alright. Enki is in no hurry. Like ever.

OObvF.gif Rook snaps to, blood rushing to his head. Looking about the area he finds himself in what may or may not be an entirely familiar situation.

AZZQR.gif Musta been some drink

MarshPowersOut.png Update delayed further due to sudden Thunder/Hailstorm and power outage. Standby I guess!

The fall from his dangling perch against the branch of the ol' Sycamore tree startles Kaboom into full wakefulness. He instantly discovers, rolling onto his face, that he's having a great deal of difficulty maintaining proper balance. Apparently, he needs to be quite careful so as not to end up rolling away.

This is most distressing to him.

KaboomNormal.png: Who shouted? Was it one of you?

edited September 2011
    PMDDFight1-1.png

MarshGM.png Goddamn weather effects. Anyway, peering out towards where he thought he heard the cry for help, Enki notices the forest opens up a bit, permitting him to see the scene outside clearly.

MarshGM2.pngA pack of Rattata have cornered a Bulbasaur in between a deep pool of water and a rockfall, circling the terrified Pokemon cautiously. Near the back of the group, a grizzled Raticate clicks his massive incisors impatiently, his back to the Dense thicket the Slowpoke just stumbled out from.

BulbaAngry.png Stay back! I'm warning you!

He shouts, his back legs pushed up against the wall.

BulbaShit.png I don't wanna hurt you!

Marshmallow on
    edited September 2011
    MarshGM.png Oh yeah! Combat rules!

Okay, so in theory everything happens at the same time, but in practice there are 7 stages (Turns) of combat, in which 8 (sorta) actions can take place. First, the actions:
    1. You can Defend, this means your Resilience is raised one level (+2RC), and if anything hits you, you automatically counterattack (see attack option below).
    2. You can Protect, this means you chose someone in the same Arena as you and take any attacks that were targeting them. You get to counterattack these attacks just like Defending (no RC bonus though).
    3. You can Attack! This is when you use your Tactic (make sure to include somewhere in EVERY combat update what your current Tactic is.
    4. You can use a Focused Ability. This action puts you into a semi-vulnerable position, if you take damage after deciding to focus then your action fails, if you make it to the end of the round without damage, your focused action goes off! Having someone to protect you is very useful for this.
    5. You can Move. Unless it's a tricky movement, you automatically move to an adjacent arena of your choice.
    6. You can Impede, this is an attempt to stop someone from moving out of an Arena. (A Daring vs. Cunning Check).
    7. You can Push. With this you select however many targets you wish that are in your Arena, then make a Cunning vs. Commitment Check against EACH target. If you hit ALL of them, they ALL move into the adjacent Arena of your choice, with you moving along with them.
    8. You can Throw. With this you select one target and make a Brawn vs. Awareness or Commitment Check. If they fail you toss them into an adjacent Arena and you stay in your current Arena.

Now the Turns themselves:
    1. Defensive and Protective postures are entered.
    2. Ranged Weapon users may attack, or they may delay and attack at any later Turn they want (possibly to interrupt someone who is focusing).
    3. Start using a Focus talent, or attempt to Impede someone. If a Focusing user takes damage after this Turn, he fails his focused action.
    4. Move. If you can't move because someone Impeded you, you can counterattack them instead right now.
    5. All other attacks happen here.
    6. Pushes and Throws happen here.
    7. If a Focus user has remained undamaged until now, his ability goes off during this Round.

Note: If multiple characters are acting in the same Round, a d10+Initiative is rolled to determine the order in which they act within the Turn.

MarshGM2.pngOn that note, the four Rattata in the Tight Arenas are delaying. The Raticate is Impeding the Bulbasaur in case he tries to run for it, and the two Rattata in the Hazardous Arena are Attacking the Bulbasaur.

Unless you have a Ranged Tactic or Focused Ability, you should probably Move into the Hazardous or Tight Arena so you can hit the Rattata next Round.

Marshmallow on

AZZQR.gif Sure wasn't me! Hey! What's all the ruckus? Can't a fella get in his nappy nap?

OObvF.gif He [moves] into the bushes to the south, peeking out to see a purple rodent with his back turned overlooking the scene.

edited September 2011
    MarshGM2.pngYou sneakin'? We can add a Cunning Check vs. the Rattatas' Awareness. If you make it the Rattata won't know you're behind him (and might continue delaying, if you're lucky).

You can roll it if you like, it's just a d12 + Cunning. (All Attribute Checks are d12 + Bonus).

Marshmallow on
    edited September 2011

OObvF.gif Let's do it baby

1d12+4 = 7+4 = 11

Squall on
    edited September 2011
    D9awK.png Ok Enki's gonna move into the hazard arena. If you change arenas that's all you can do in a turn, right? Now to do some actual, like, role playing.

r4EkW.pngEnki peers out onto the scene, the gears in his head churning. The Bulbasaur looks like an innocent, although those can be deceiving. Well, unless the 'Saur has stolen some sorta rare artifact sacred to the Ratatta People, Enki thinks he should probably help the little grass type. After a few longs moments of pondering, he comes up with a plan. Maybe he can cut this knot without getting the fluids beaten out of him by Ratatta. Gotta get to that pool, though.

Shock G on
    edited September 2011
    MarshGM.pngNice, that Rattata probably won't notice you, Squall, but I'll roll for it during the Turn.

Now we just wait for everyone else to submit an action and we can get the show on the road. I reserve the right to skip your action if you take too long and I get bored, but I won't do that unless I've got at least 3/5 actions and you took more than 12-20 hours after my last update.

Marshmallow on
    edited September 2011
    mysterynesssprite.png If someone does something REALLY awesome does only the first person to point it out transfer the token or does the whole goddamn party dump a grand total of four tokens on that guy.

MarshGM.png Hmm, the OSH pdf says "The rules are explicit. Whenever anyone does something you think is awesome, you should give them an Awesome Point for it. No exceptions."

So I'd say yes, if all four of the other players think you're awesome enough to get four Voltage, then you get four Voltage. After all, you earned it.

Marshmallow on
    edited September 2011
    In contrast to the other pokemon's quick action, the Eevee rises carefully, turning her head back and forth to take in as much as she can see. Satisfied that the imminent violence isn't directed at her, she kicks a hind leg out almost experimentally.

...that's right, isn't it?

veewince.png

"Um. What's going on here?"

Daypigeon on
    edited September 2011
    meowthgrimace.png: ...who's shouting in my house?!

mysterynesssprite.png: Glancing at his paws, viewing the environment around him, information comes to Daryl faster than it really should. Yes, he was taking a nap in the forest. Of course you were, Daryl.

meowthsweatdrop.png: <But...who are these pokemon? What's a poke-...what in the world happened last night?>

mysterynesssprite.png: Putting aside such silly questions, Daryl takes stock of the situation around him.

meowthstartled2.png: Hey, you there! Pink fellow with the tail! What are you doing wandering off towards those pokemon on your own? Look how sharp those teeth are!

meowthstartled2.png: No time for questions, miss! We have to help him! <But just charging in..aha!>

mysterynesssprite.png: Daryl scampers up the tree to his north, attempting to disappear into the foilage: a true hero.

Edit: mysterynesssprite.png: Cunning: 8+3=11

Rawkking Goodguy on
    BroMiniAV.gif: Kaboom looks over at the tense situation, and his spikes bristle.

KaboomAngry.png: This seems like a job for a grenade, or some plastique, or something else that's highly explosive... in other words....

KaboomCool.png: A job for me.

KaboomNormal.png: Never fear, Bulbasaur! Kaboom is on his way!

KaboomNervous.png: Although, the whole "movement" thing is kind of a tricky proposition.

KaboomAngry.png: I'll stay back here and cover you guys while you go on ahead!

BroMiniAV.gif: Kaboom, prepared to intervene on behalf of the Bulbasaur, readies his Pin Missile cannons to fire. He's a bug with a head full of explosives and a coat filled with missiles. Nobody bugs him and gets away with it!

edited September 2011
    "I'm pretty sure this is the exact right time to ask questions, d- hey!"

veerage.png

"UGH. Fine!"

The Eevee attempts to sneak to the northernmost [Tight] area with the three Rattata.

"Alright, assholes" she says to herself, baring some surprisingly sharp teeth.

[1d12 + 2 = 11 ]

Daypigeon on
    edited September 2011

PMDDFight2.png

MarshGM.pngSpotting the group emerging from their hiding spot in the trees, the Bulbasaur stands on his hind legs, waving his arms to get their attention.

BulbaHelp.png Hey, help me out! I'm not one of them, I'm from Yew Town! Help!

He tries to dash past the Rattata caging him in, but the Raticate matches his moves, dodging from side to side to keep the Grass-Type pinned in tight.

RaticateF.png Raaaaugh!

BulbaAhJeeze.png Ah jeeze! Let me go already!

MarshGMUh.png Seeing the aggressive move, Kaboom's needles stand on end, then jet off towards the Raticate. He must still be a bit stiff from waking up, however, as the pins stab harmlessly into the slippery mud next to the pond a few feet away from his target.

Emboldened by the unexpected support, the Bulbasaur sends out a pair of lithe vines, slapping at the Raticate. It's a close thing, but the Raticate is a swift combatant, and leaps to the side before the Bulbasaur's desperate strike can land.

Meanwhile, Rook and Nevada sneak into the treeline with equal stealth, albeit in opposite directions. Rook emerges carefully from the heavy brush to find himself behind one of the Rattatas, and Nevada emerges into a tangled hedge of thory bushes, tight terrain that holds three aggressive Rattata, moving carefully along their bellies to flank the Bulbasaur.

True to his feline appearance, Daryl scurries up the tree like greased lightning, coming out a good seven or eight feet above where he can see the Dense forest continuing beyond the small clearing they woke up in. The surrounding forest looks only barely more navigable, but he thinks he can see a larger clearing a few miles away on the left. His nose detects a subtle scent in the air, but he can't quite identify what it is.

The two Rattata bear in on the Cornered Bulbasaur, teeth glinting like knives. He tries his best to dodge them, but one gets a lucky strike on a foreleg as he backed away from a mock charge made by the other. If nothing else, these Rattata know how to work as a team.

Kaboom: Attack: 3+4 = 7 - Miss
    Raticate: Impede: 8 vs. 2 - Bulbasaur is Impeded
    Bulbasaur: Movement Failed!
    Bulbasaur: Counterattack: 7+4 = 11 - Miss
    Nevada: Attribute (Cunning vs. Awareness): 11 vs. 7 - Success
    Rook: Attribute (Cunning vs. Awareness): 11 vs. 9 - Success
    Daryl: Attribute (Cunning Check): 11 vs. 3 - Success
    Rattatas: 4, 1, 6, 7 = 13 - Hit for 1 Damage!
    Raticate took no Damage - Bulbasaur is Cornered! (Bulbasaur cannot select the "Move" Action next Round.)

MarshGM.pngThe three Rattatas hiding in the thorny hedge near Nevada crawl closer, ready to Move into the Hazardous Arena to flank the Bulbasaur. The two Rattata already in the Hazardous Arena continue to harry the Bulbasaur, both of them Attacking the trapped Bulb Pokemon. The Raticate turns around, having heard the Slowpoke newcomer stomping along behind him and bears his teeth, hissing. There's something off about this Pokemon, but Enki can't quite figure it out. Whatever it may, the overgrown rat definitely looks ready to Attack him! The final Rattata, near Rook, continues to Delay his entry to the melee, unaware of the Tyrogue sneaking up behind him.

Marshmallow on
    edited September 2011
    If you like, you can roll for your own attack, and narrate the description (and maybe get Voltage if you do it well).

The Raticate has an RC of 12 (Heavily Resilient) and 3 HP, the Rattata each have an RC of 10 (Somewhat Resilient) and 1 HP. If you have a ranged attack, it doesn't particularly matter if they manage to move before you hit them, they aren't going out of range. If you are trying to attack them in the same Arena, however (like Nevada might attempt), your Attack won't happen until they've already Moved away so you'll have to either try and Impede them or follow them with your own Move action.

Note: Shock, note how the Raticate is trying to attack you, not Impede you. If you make a run (roll? slide?) for the pond, you'll make it out of the Raticate's range before the Attack Turn happens. Tactical!

Edit: Forgot the Map! I forgot the map! (Added it into the narration post).

Marshmallow on
    edited September 2011
    D9awK.pngMoving into the water.

r4EkW.pngEnki stares at the rat for a long, tense moment. Then he yawns. Feeling his point has been made, he flops into the pond.

Shock G on
    mysterynesssprite.png: Granting 1 Voltage2.gif to Enki. Now irony dictates there are going to be several things I wish I could grant voltage for this round I haven't seen, though I don't think there are restrictions on giving voltage?

edited September 2011
    The Eevee darts out in front of the closest Rattata and begins ducking and weaving energetically,

veerage.png

"Hey, Mister Massive Freaking Overbite! Back off!"

Impede Attempt : 9 + 0 = 9

(want to make an attack if succcessful. How many actions can we take per turn?)

Daypigeon on

OObvF.gif Attacking an unaware opponent isn't typical fighting-type behavior; they find it lacks discipline, tact and honor.

Thankfully, Rook possessed these traits in very low quantities. He takes a running start at the Rattata, planting a bandaged hand in the dirt, vaulting clear over his opponent.

AZZQR.gif How's about a refreshing dip, friend?

OObvF.gif Twisting midair, he grasps the upright tail of his foe, dragging it off of its feet and sailing into the water. The landing is considerably less graceful; the scrappy fighter tumbles to the edge of the pond. Didn't keep the bandages for the stylish looks, after all (well, not all of them).

[Push] 1d12+4+2 = 9

pigeonking wrote:
    (want to make an attack if succcessful. How many actions can we take per turn?)

MarshAV.png One, though there's a couple "Double Action" abilities that let you do two certain actions in one turn, and I might make some more if I get around to messing with the system some more.

If you're relatively certain of yourself, you can always narrate your next Round action. Since you know what the enemies are doing and can see what the other players are doing (and what they've rolled), you can get a good idea of what the Map is going to look like next turn.

Anyway, I'm off to worksies. Probably update when I get back in 9 hours or so, if Terr posts. Though I suspect he'll just being doing more Ranged Attacking so I could at least do the Impedes and Push to see if they go off properly for you all.

KaboomAngry.png: That was a warning shot! I've got enough spikes here to shame a Sandslash, so let that Bulbasaur go before I get really mad!

BroMiniAV.gif: His self-loathing for missing such an easy shot seems to provide sufficient motivation for him to figure out how to stand up off his face. Rocking his body back and forth, he builds sufficient rotational momentum to right himself.

KaboomAngry.png: Don't worry, now I can see, I've got round 2 comin' at 'cha!

[Pin Missile attack on one of the Rattata: 7+6 = 13 Hit]

BroMiniAV.gif: A flurry of sharp spines from underneath Kaboom's coat launch outward, smashing into the ground and exploding violently. The Rattata, caught in the middle of them, has nowhere to go, and falls to the ground.

KaboomCool.png: That's how it's done. Say, you don't mind me borrowing these occasionally, do you?

BroMiniAV.gif: Nah, it's cool.

Ouch, my fourth wall.