As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Property management unacceptably slow at making repairs. What are my options? (SOLVED)

RialeRiale I'm a little slowRegistered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
On the 20th of August I was using the stove in my shitty college apartment, when I began to see sparks coming from inside the stove (as in, under the burners where the coils connect to the central area of the stove). After the sparks, I smelled the distinct smell of burning wires/electrical parts. I immediately shut off the stove, and checked to make sure there wasn't an electrical fire. Everything seemed okay, but the area where the coils connected into the stove looked blackened and charred.

The following Monday (The 22nd) I gave a written description of the problem (as per my lease) to the property management company who handles work orders. They agreed that I shouldn't risk using the stove until the problem had been assessed. I gave their workers free permission to enter, and began waiting.

That friday, and the friday following, I hassled them about the situation as I still had not seen hide nor hair of the workers coming to examine the stove. They complained that because school is starting they were swamped, and they would get to it 'as soon as possible'. In other words, lip service.

Today, completely fed up with being unable to cook any food for over two weeks, I demanded to be given an exact date upon which a repairman would come to look at the stove. They said they needed to call the company they contract the work orders out to in order to find out who had the work order and what the status is. They said I should receive a call by the end of the day. Here I stand, at the end of the day, with no call.

I understand they're busy, but I can't keep eating canned soup and PBJs. I'm on a fixed income, and I can't afford to buy pre-prepared food. After two weeks of basically eating shit because I can't cook, I'm starting to feel sick, because I'm used to a diet of freshly prepared food (I cook dinner for the apartment every night). I'm basically at my wits end here, and I don't know what I can do to make them realize that this is an issue, and should be dealt right the fuck now rather than when they feel like it.

My options at this point as far as I see it, is for me to either sit and take it (which I refuse to do at this point), or go in there and raise a serious shitstorm. I don't want to resort to that, because they've been nice enough this last year, and I have a feeling it's more of a communication breakdown than any kind of outright malice or neglect.

The last option, is to ask my mother to call and bitch them out. I don't require her to fight my battles, and I would be happy to bitch at them myself, but seeing as they are essentially a college apartment renting agency I have a feeling they are used to brushing off requests from students, and would be more likely to sit up and pay attention when a parent complains.

Does anyone have suggestions?

33c9nxz.gif
Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
Riale on

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Don't call your mom. Presumably you're an adult. Handle your own problems.

Go down there first thing in the morning. Ask to speak to the property manager. As in the person who run's that office. If they are not available, ask for their business card, if it does not have a cell phone, ask for it. Call, leave a message. Also find out from whoever you talk to when the property manager will be expected in.

Also you can call the emergency line (which your apartment should have) and report the problem to them. That may help, I don't know.

If the property manager does not give you an answer you like before the end of the conversation, google your property management company and get e-mail contacts for their upper-level managers (regional VP or whatever) start sending e-mails.

I'd talk to a lawyer before doing anything drastic, but you may be able to have a lawyer draft a letter or something stating that if the appliance you are renting from them is not repaired/replaced by a certain date, you will take a certain action. In some states, failure to repair an essential appliance can be considered breach of contract on the part of the management company, allowing you to break your lease and move out, without penalty.

Again, talk to a lawyer before doing anything drastic.

Honestly you'll probably be fine and get decent results playing a nice game of "Let me Talk to Your Boss."

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Check your local ordinances, but at this point, there's a good chance that you can just hire an electrician to come in and fix it, then deduct the cost from your rent.

Again, though, check your local ordinances, and preferably consult with a tenants' rights organization.

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    Don't call your mother, you're an adult, yes?

in some states, you're allowed to get help to fix the problem yourself and then withhold that amount from your rent, but this is a MAJOR and DRASTIC step, and messing it up = big ol problems legally and financially for you

what state are you in, or what country?

Usually, if the stove came with the apartment, then the landlord has to fix it "in a timely manner"

This not being an emergency (and it's not, there are plenty of things to make that don't require an oven), it'd be up to the discetion of whomever to decide just how long "in a timely manner" is

Check your lease, though, it could very well have clauses that spell all this out

• Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    I've checked the lease. It doesn't specifically explain anything about the appliances in regards to this. I live in Oregon, and while I did see the section of oregon tenant/renter law that would allow me to fix the problem and deduct it from my rent, in my searching I wasn't able to find how long an 'acceptable time' is defined as. Also, I would be loathe to take that as a step, because I have a feeling they would end up screwing me and refusing to take it from the rent. Last year (before I began renting) they had a lot of bad press in the papers for some shady dealings in the course of convincing tenants to terminate their leases early. They're friendly enough, but I don't trust them enough to do something like that.

I understand that not having a stove isn't life threatening, but I'm running out of options. Because I'm a broke college student, I buy most of my food in bulk and freeze or otherwise store it to prepare from scratch later. I'm not used to being without a stove, and outside of some cold salad dishes, canned food and pre-prepared stuff I'm lost. I can't afford to buy pre-cooked food, or stuff I can do in the microwave. Currently I have pounds of chicken and turkey in the freezer and loads of pastas/rices/etc that's all going to waste.

I don't have the ability (read:money) to get a lawyer involved for any of this. Also, I don't have a specific building manager because the building I live in is located literally next-door to the property management office. I'll try going in tomorrow and asking for their superiors if they don't have a satisfying answer and see how far that gets me.

33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Riale wrote:
    I've checked the lease. It doesn't specifically explain anything about the appliances in regards to this. I live in Oregon, and while I did see the section of oregon tenant/renter law that would allow me to fix the problem and deduct it from my rent, in my searching I wasn't able to find how long an 'acceptable time' is defined as. Also, I would be loathe to take that as a step, because I have a feeling they would end up screwing me and refusing to take it from the rent. Last year (before I began renting) they had a lot of bad press in the papers for some shady dealings in the course of convincing tenants to terminate their leases early. They're friendly enough, but I don't trust them enough to do something like that.

I understand that not having a stove isn't life threatening, but I'm running out of options. Because I'm a broke college student, I buy most of my food in bulk and freeze or otherwise store it to prepare from scratch later. I'm not used to being without a stove, and outside of some cold salad dishes, canned food and pre-prepared stuff I'm lost. I can't afford to buy pre-cooked food, or stuff I can do in the microwave. Currently I have pounds of chicken and turkey in the freezer and loads of pastas/rices/etc that's all going to waste.

I don't have the ability (read:money) to get a lawyer involved for any of this. Also, I don't have a specific building manager because the building I live in is located literally next-door to the property management office. I'll try going in tomorrow and asking for their superiors if they don't have a satisfying answer and see how far that gets me.

What rental company is it? Are you in Portland?

• Options
    I'm in Eugene. The rental company is Von Klein. They own probably 60-75% of the apartment complexes in the west and south university neighborhoods.

33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Riale wrote:
    I'm in Eugene. The rental company is Von Klein. They own probably 60-75% of the apartment complexes in the west and south university neighborhoods.

No idea.

But honestly, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Go in there every day until they give you a solid date and someone has come in to fix it.

• Options
    Yeah, I have a problem with confrontation but it sounds like I just need to man up keep at it until things happen.

33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    One slight mistake that you're making here is seeing this as a confrontation. They're not being shit at their job to make you, personally, angry. Things like this go the way you make them, and a big part of 'manning up' and getting shit like this done is NOT to be confrontational. A child would run in and shout and cause a ruckus, whilst adults would discuss it reasonably. However, that doesn't mean being a pushover and accepting whatever bullshit these incompetents try to fob you off with.

Call them or go down there in person and ask for a resolution, with a defined timescale. They'll doubtless say that they'll call you back. Ask for a time when they will call. If they haven't called by that time, call them again. And again, etc.

As Esh said, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Likely, you're dealing with a chain of incompetent jobsworths- you just have to keep your cool and make them see that you're a problem that is not going to cause trouble, but also will not go away.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Riale wrote:

Check with the school, some colleges provide options for some free legal services.

• Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Thanatos wrote:
    Check your local ordinances, but at this point, there's a good chance that you can just hire an electrician to come in and fix it, then deduct the cost from your rent.

Again, though, check your local ordinances, and preferably consult with a tenants' rights organization.

Keep in mind that usually you're required to give written notice of your intent to do this.

oldsak on
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    Riale wrote:

Check with the school, some colleges provide options for some free legal services.

Also most schools have some sort of student housing office that can act as a go-between with local landlords and property management companies. If you bring your concerns to them they might help bitch out your landlord.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    Riale wrote:

Also most schools have some sort of student housing office that can act as a go-between with local landlords and property management companies. If you bring your concerns to them they might help bitch out your landlord.
    More importantly, the school's housing office almost certainly has a feel for what needs to happen before you can just deduct costs from your rent. Around here its 30 days for non-emergency or ... something else for emergencies. Not sure where on that scale you would qualify, but the housing office for the school is likely to be very familiar with how to deal with these sorts of issues (or they can make a recommendation on someone who is at least).

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    oldsak wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

Keep in mind that usually you're required to give written notice of your intent to do this.

this, if i were you, i'd send a certified letter saying how long you have been waiting and something like: "Give me a repair date immediately, if i get no response, or if the stove is not fixed within 30 days, I will contract a repairman and deduct the cost from the rent for (whatever month)" This is purely a CYA move. I'm pretty sure 1 month is considered reasonable. check with your school if they give legal advice as people have said.

I would imagine a stove is pretty much considered "necessary" like heat and plumbing.

• Options
    30 days seems like a ridiculously long time to wait for something like a stove to be repaired. But again, check your local regulations.

• Options
    Thanatos wrote:
    30 days seems like a ridiculously long time to wait for something like a stove to be repaired. But again, check your local regulations.

I agree. I would be surprised if you had to give him more than a week. The whole reason this remedy exists is to allow tenants to act when their landlords are dicking them around. Check your tenant laws. Many states and municipalities publish tenants rights guides.

Another option may be to give your landlord notice that you intend to withhold rent until it is fixed. You will have to pay once it is fixed, and there may be other requirements, such as being able to demonstrate you were financially able to pay rent.

• Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    [Note] Although I'm about to offer something that might sound like legal advice I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV, and you should consult someone licensed to practice law before following it (or at least someone who has considered taking the LSAT).[/note]

If I'm reading what I'm finding correctly its 48 hours for health/safety threats, 7 days for "essential" stuff and 30 days for all other repairs. The catch is that "essential" is not strictly defined. It likely includes heat, water, electricity but I'm not sure about a stove. You can find more here[www.osbar.org], but its not really going to be less vague. Honestly, everywhere I'm finding suggests consulting a lawyer before doing anything with deducting cost of repairs from the rent or anything like that and I can see why. It appears there's a fairly strict set of conditions that must be met before you should feel even relatively safe doing that and the first of those would be being able to prove on what date you notified the landlord (most places recommend certified mail it seems).

I'd suggest anyone in this situation notify the landlord in a fashion that leaves a paper trail and then consult a lawyer if they're not responsive.

On that subject, I'm guessing that you're at University of Oregon, in which case you may want to talk to the office of legal services, who are nicely free for students it seems.

Syrdon on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    oldsak wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

I agree. I would be surprised if you had to give him more than a week. The whole reason this remedy exists is to allow tenants to act when their landlords are dicking them around. Check your tenant laws. Many states and municipalities publish tenants rights guides.

Another option may be to give your landlord notice that you intend to withhold rent until it is fixed. You will have to pay once it is fixed, and there may be other requirements, such as being able to demonstrate you were financially able to pay rent.

You can't withhold rent ever. the best you can do is go to a judge, and get him to ok you putting the rent into escrow until the shit gets fixed. then, once it's fixed, the funds are released to the landlord. It's shitty, but it prevents tenants from withholding rent for every little thing i guess.

• Options
    BeazleBeazle Registered User regular
    How many burners does your stove have? If it is more than one than use the other ones. Each coil is independant of the other ones so it should not be a problem.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Beazle wrote:
    How many burners does your stove have? If it is more than one than use the other ones. Each coil is independant of the other ones so it should not be a problem.

Citation needed. It won't be a problem until a fire starts.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    it wont be a fire if he is standing there cooking his food on the burner. i don't make it a habit of leaving shit cooking while I am not in the room

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Please do not use the stove until a repairman has looked at it.

If you are really desperate you can get a hotplate or something like that. I know you probably have little cash on hand, but it might be a good immediate solution.

I would second going in person to the property management office and demanding polity for the time when a repair person will come.

Also if you have a microwave I think there are ways to prepare many fresh foods in it, not just frozen items. I do not know how though, here is somewhere to start.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    I think you should consider getting a parent involved. If you're enrolled in university and living in residence, you're probably under 25. I think that a lot of older adults see people in the 18-24 range as not really equals, and are more willing to brush them off or dick them around. It's all fine and well to say that you're an adult and need to fight your own battles, but only a fool fights alone when he has allies available. Besides, this is a pretty fundamental quality of life issue; you've already noted a decline in your health, and for as long as the issue persists, you're potentially one person's forgetfulness and inattentiveness away from a fire. While the "best" approach for your personal growth and development may be to handle this alone, if you're not doing anything illegal or unethical, this is the sort of situation where you're allowed to prefer a quicker solution.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    I think you should consider getting a parent involved. If you're enrolled in university and living in residence, you're probably under 25. I think that a lot of older adults see people in the 18-24 range as not really equals, and are more willing to brush them off or dick them around. It's all fine and well to say that you're an adult and need to fight your own battles, but only a fool fights alone when he has allies available. Besides, this is a pretty fundamental quality of life issue; you've already noted a decline in your health, and for as long as the issue persists, you're potentially one person's forgetfulness and inattentiveness away from a fire. While the "best" approach for your personal growth and development may be to handle this alone, if you're not doing anything illegal or unethical, this is the sort of situation where you're allowed to prefer a quicker solution.
    This is my main reason for considering getting my parents involved.

I have been handling this in a very civil manner so far. I've never whined to them, and the reason I use the term 'confrontation' is that I feel that is all that is left. I've stated the issue to them as clearly as I can and as frequently as I can, only to be brushed off. After yet another talk with them, I was promised contact from the repair service that did not happen.

My understanding of oregon law is that because the stove is a non-essential service, I would have to wait 30 days. This saturday it will have been 3 weeks since the stove busted. Tomorrow, I plan to go in and ask them to contact the repair company while I am in the office, and I will not leave until I have an answer with a firm date, right then and there. This will not be pleasant, because their office is more than chaotic, but anything else I say or ask is simply brushed off. At this point, I seriously believe they may have lost the work order entirely (due to their reaction the last time we spoke) and unless I demand an answer it's obvious they won't stretch a muscle to do anything.

EDIT: Also, my mother will be in town visiting on Saturday. If they shove me out on Friday with more lip service, I will seriously consider at least having her come in with me next week to lodge a formal complaint, in the hopes that they will take it more seriously.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    oldsak wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

You can't withhold rent ever. the best you can do is go to a judge, and get him to ok you putting the rent into escrow until the shit gets fixed. then, once it's fixed, the funds are released to the landlord. It's shitty, but it prevents tenants from withholding rent for every little thing i guess.

It depends on where you live. That's why I said it may be an option. I know it's an option in NJ provided you give your landlord written notice that you will not pay rent until repairs are made and save your rent.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    You can't be serious about getting your mother involved. You need to learn to take care of business on your own.

Keep going after the company until they fix it. And get a new appt next year, because that is way too long to have to wait.

You shouldn't be getting sick from not having a stove. There are plenty of ways to get cooked food otherwise. Go to a restaurant. Go to the neighbors. Go to the campus cafeteria. Go to a friends. Seriously.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    You can withhold rent, but they can file for eviction. At that point you will appear before a judge and plead your case.

If that happens, the most likely "best case scenario" is that the judge views the actions of the property as being in violation of the lease, which releases the tenant from the lease.

Which means you move out.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    JebusUD wrote:
    You can't be serious about getting your mother involved. You need to learn to take care of business on your own.

Keep going after the company until they fix it. And get a new appt next year, because that is way too long to have to wait.

You shouldn't be getting sick from not having a stove. There are plenty of ways to get cooked food otherwise. Go to a restaurant. Go to the neighbors. Go to the campus cafeteria. Go to a friends. Seriously.

I don't think you understand my situation well enough. Here's a better picture. I'm so broke that I have to buy my food with government assistance. My only friends are not close enough or well off enough financially for me to be using their food/facilities on a regular basis. I don't have the money to be going out to eat at a restaurant every night. It's hard enough affording food on food stamps. The only way it's even close to livable without eating complete shit is to buy basic ingredients in bulk and cook from scratch.

I don't need my mother to fight my battles. I can deal with things without her. However, in this scenario I have been dealing with this situation to the best of my ability and have simply been getting shrugged off. At this point, my only other options are either to make a serious shitstorm about it (which I will do tomorrow, but I'm not excited about because I'm in a lease for a year with this company and I don't want to be on their bad side) or to escalate the issue by having the repairs made and collecting compensation, which I'm not about to do without legal advice (which I cannot afford).

I can see that there are solutions to my dilemma, but I don't think you understand how hard it is to access many of them when you are dirt fucking poor and no one is taking you seriously.

EDIT: And yes, I've perused the Oregon tenant law long enough now to realize that if I escalate this, the most favorable outcome will probably involve me moving, which I cannot afford to do right now.

At any rate, this thread has served its purpose well enough in getting feedback. I don't think anyone else can provide information that will be useful to me at this point.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    @Riale many of us are taking you quite seriously. I'm sure more than a few of us have been in similar situations, both with regards to finances and living situations.

Good luck, and if the thread stays open...update us on what happens?

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I know you say solved, but I really want to encourage you to have your mother make a call to them. I would have her push that she is helping pay the rent and it's her understanding that you have now been 3 weeks with no stove or way to prepare meals. I would also have her try to get them to reduce your next rent payment with the reasoning that you have had to buy prepared meals or eat out for every meal.

"Be a grown up" etc doesn't really work with rental groups like the one you have - they are used to renting overpriced, under maintained, apartments to college kids and will blow you off repeatedly. If they think the person who controls the purse strings is upset, they might be more inclined to move on things.

We might have an extra electric skillet or something I could ship you but it probably wouldn't be cost effective to do that given I'm all the way in Maine. But if you want I can check our extra kitchen stuff, just let me know how the meeting with your landlord goes...

Is your mom any better off financially than you? Could she pick up a George Foreman Grill and a rice steamer or hotpot this weekend when she visits? It would cost < $50 total and at least let you make basic meat, side, vegetable meals.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I know you say solved, but I really want to encourage you to have your mother make a call to them. I would have her push that she is helping pay the rent (even if she isn't) and it's her understanding that you have now been 3 weeks with no stove or way to prepare meals. I would also have her try to get them to reduce your next rent payment with the reasoning that you have had to buy prepared meals or eat out for every meal.

"Be a grown up" etc doesn't really work with rental groups like the one you have - they are used to renting overpriced, under maintained, apartments to college kids and will blow you off repeatedly. If they think the person who controls the purse strings is upset, they might be more inclined to move on things.

We might have an extra electric skillet or something I could ship you but it probably wouldn't be cost effective to do that given I'm all the way in Maine. But if you want I can check our extra kitchen stuff, just let me know how the meeting with your landlord goes...

Is your mom any better off financially than you? Could she pick up a George Foreman Grill and a rice steamer or hotpot this weekend when she visits? It would cost < $50 total and at least let you make basic meat, side, vegetable meals.

• Options
    Also, find out if your anyone maintains a blacklist for students that lists landlords locally; I know there are a couple of these in the Seattle area.

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    My mom helps me all of the time with random bureaucratic things because she is a fucking bulldog.

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    just saying, it REALLY doesn't look good on anyone if you call your mom to help you with your problems rather than fix them yourself

unless your mom has some sort of knowledge to help you, like she's a lawyer or doctor or specialist in this field, then everyone at that apartment complex is going to hear about the kid who called his mommy

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    It's a college apartment, parents doing everything for their kids is probably the norm rather than the exception. And who gives a shit what anyone thinks about him? They've ignored him, and if it takes his mom to get him un-ignored, then there you go. Being self-reliant is a good thing; refusing to try something that might work because you're worried that the cool kids won't let you sit with them at their cafeteria table during lunchtime or invite you to their sleepover birthday parties is childish.

• Options
    college is one of the first places where reputation starts to actually matter, it's easy enough to say "who cares" when you're the third party, but it's harder to actually stop caring about it when it happens to you

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    That's ridiculous. What reputation is going to follow him around from this? Who is going to trip him in the hallway?

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Two people complaining about something, particularly when both have a vested interest in the problem, counts for more than one person complaining about something. And in this particular dynamic, I'll wager the company in question is used to a parental figure having more ability to raise hell than a person going to college.

Riale: I wouldn't feel bad about getting your mother to come along so you can both give them hell. It's been a problem way too long, and simply put you shouldn't have had to put up with it. Especially from some big company. It's replacing an oven. That should not be a big deal. I rent out some properties and that's the sort of shit I'm fixing the next day at the latest.

Yes. Deal with things on your own first. It's a good rule. But you tried that. Bring in another involved party. Two people complaining makes more of an impression than one person complaining. Seriously. Stated as a landlord.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    the truth of the matter is, most people who deal with college kids see them as beneath them and can easily dimiss anything they say, where as a parent is more on equal footing and more likely to get results. maybe they seem more like a credible threat.

i think already trying for 3 weeks is an acceptable time to try things on your own. bringing in your mom isn't necassarily bad at this point. like skoal said, mom's can be bulldogs. and no one wants to deal witha pissed off mom

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    mts wrote:
    the truth of the matter is, most people who deal with college kids see them as beneath them and can easily dimiss anything they say, where as a parent is more on equal footing and more likely to get results. maybe they seem more like a credible threat.

But that's exactly the problem; OP is re-enforcing that discrimination.

At least use the tools you have, OP, like yelp, Google, et al, to leave reviews on this company. You weren't able to find any help from your school?