As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I don't remember the title of this young adult fantasy novel. (Solved)

nukanuka What are circles?Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
It was about these slave people who were made to dig up this magical coal like stuff. They were taken over by people that used that magical coal stuff as fuel and kept the slaves in line by branding their foreheads. The heroine of the novel who is a slave ends up as the chosen one and frees her people and generally kicks butt. I can't remember much more than that because it's been so long.

EDIT: I asked elsewhere and it was solved, it's http://www.amazon.com/Winter-Fire-Point-Sherryl-Jordan/dp/0590452894

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
nuka on

• JinkaJinka Registered User regular
    That sounds vaguely like The Healer's Keep by Victoria Hanley.

camo_sig.png
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    No, I don't think that's it. The heroine is pretty removed from royalty if I remember, most of her companions are fellow slaves. There was one guy who had a branding accident that left his face scarred. Oh I don't think the slaves could pick their own spouses? I remember something else too, the ruling culture reminded me a lot of the Roman Empire, though it wasn't an exact copy. I think the heroine's pivotal moment was when she was tending the crops the slaves kept for themselves to eat.

EDIT: Oh uh, the land was described as barren and dark, it made me think of a land after a vicious firestorm. After the heroine wins the day, stuff begins to grow again? Or is implied at least.

nuka on
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Ah nevermind, I'm wrong :(

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Setting and characters remind me of the Final Empire series by Brian Sanderson.

They didn't eat the coal stuff, it was just a fuel source and it wasn't a series, or if it was then I wasn't aware/don't remember.

• TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    Is it Jack Chalker's Flux & Anchor series?

No, it's not it, and it's not a series.