As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

September 11, 2011: What will you be doing?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I feel envious of those of you who'll be avoiding the media clusterfuck on 9/11. Being one of the people responsible for bringing said media clusterfuck into your homes that day, I will be unable to avoid it.

But then I'll get to go home and watch some football and toast a beer to the dead of both that day and all related dead that have occurred since.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    I'm going to take the subway from my corner straight to ground zero and watch the crazy.

ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    At work where all I get are Discovery and every news channel (except MSN).

On the bright side, Def Leppard concert that night!
    mrt144 wrote:
    Nocren wrote:
    At work where all I get are Discovery and every news channel (except MSN).

On the bright side, Def Leppard concert that night!

AT THE SLEEP TRAIN AMPHITHEATER IN WHEATLAND CALIFORNIA! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You gotta count the amount of times they pump up Wheatland as either being a hell of a rock n roll city or how they've played a lot of places but Wheatland has the best fans!

I will forever remember Pete Townsend during their... 06? show:
    "Out here in the fucking fields indeed!"

But yeah, I wonder if we as a country will ever move on. There seems to be a lot of complete and utter bullshit anger.

Edit: by this I mean how somehow everyone jumped on the "hate all middle-easterners" bandwagon.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I work for a Fire Department. My day is spoken for.

Same. I'll be on duty with a bunch of guys who were working on the pile on the 11th and the following week and a half.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    I'll be playing soccer in the morning, then watch some EPL games in the afternoon and have a pizza during the NFL later on. Go to sleep well after midnight and probably not even realize that it's a "special" date. Europe, go figure.

• Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    Mostly sleep. I'm not going to wake up at 8:46 on a Sunday morning just to be awake at the exact time this shitfest started.

I'll also avoid MSNBC like the plague. No sir, I do not want to re-watch the entire broadcast day of September 11th 2001 like you do almost every year. It was awful enough the first time, I will not watch with morbid interest while you replay that awful shit.

Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Sudden glad that channel no longer works at work...
    I wonder what my co-worker is doing. He's a volunteer EMT when he's not working with me, so I wonder if he's got any plans.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    WubWub Registered User regular
    Posting tribute.avi on facebook.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    Here's the a question from the Facebook status of a good friend of mine, @ChillyWilly:
    Ask yourself, with all of our "security" and Freedom", do you feel safer than you did 10 years ago?

Referring mainly to 9/11 and everything that has happened in the past 10 years as a result.

My response:
    I feel exactly the same now as I did 10 years PRIOR to 9/11. We aren't any less or more safe as a result. American has always been a dangerous country to live in without the help of terrorists. And it's all internal. We kill each other on a daily basis. We treat the middle and lower class like dirt in most cases, and do all we can to make sure people with millions and millions of dollars continue to get richer. We require drug tests of welfare applicants in one state, only to find that 2% failed. 98% passed.

It's ridiculous how much time we spend focusing on 9/11. There are MUCH sadder things going on on a daily basis and it rarely gets the attention it deserves. Believe me, I'm as sad as any other American about 9/11. I will never forget that day and what I was doing. I will tell my children and grandchildren all about it and such. It will be a monumental day for the rest of our history. Why are we making a big deal over 10 years? We knew it was going to come. It isn't like it's a miracle 10 years passed. The amount of money spent on this and the above mentioned drug testing could really help families that need it.

Basically what I'm saying, and I care not if I get shit for it, is shut up about 9/11. Yes, it's sad. Yes, we all know it happened. Do we need to dedicate so much time, money, and resources to it? Do we really need to celebrate/remember/think about the 10 year anniversary? What's the purpose of it? It isn't like anyone has even came close to forgetting about it.

Oh, to answer the question of what I'll be doing. I'll be watching Week 1 of NFL football. My team, the Cowboys, are in New York playing the Jets. I'm going to be immersed in this remembrance shit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Did anyone in 1951 have huge tributes over Pearl Harbor?

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    dbrock270 wrote:

No, but immediately after, we had the 40's version of the Millenium Challenge scandal(except that that time, people got punished), followed by internal purges which went on into the 60's.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Personally, I've always felt that "remembering" 9/11 always felt like we (as in people who may not have had families or friends killed or affected by it) were actually kind of secretly enjoying having some sort of tragic, movie-like event to make our lives interesting. Which is as horrible a thing to think as it was to just type.

If you want to remember and pay tribute to those who died on that day, you likely do that on a regular basis thoughout the year. What we're doing is practically celebrating and, to quote a band by the name of Tool, "vicariously (I) live, as the whole world dies." To me, remembrance of 9/11 boils down to: "Hey! It's been ten years since that crazy shit went down, let's remind everybody and do fluff pieces on people affected by the attacks. Also, don't forget to show the planes crashing into the buildings several times. Let's put a jarring gray filter over the film to really drive home that this was a BIG FUCKING DEAL. Where were YOU on that fateful day? Tweet #CNN and we'll maybe read your answer on the air!"

And honestly, it pisses me off to a degree that it's almost like marketing T-shirts and memorabilia for the event.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Erich Zahn wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:

No, but immediately after, we had the 40's version of the Millenium Challenge scandal(except that that time, people got punished), followed by internal purges which went on into the 60's.

And yet, still Macnamera was a fucking idiot. Shit like Millennium Challenge 02 make me lose any trust I have with government sometimes.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    December 7th is still Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, so that's not a great comparison.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Oh yeah, The Blueprint came out on September 11, 2001 too. Good album, very good album.

I remember when 9/11 was just gonna be a very bad day for Nas and Mobb Deep.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    The armor that our troops have should have the shift-supervisor's name, along with a number where soldiers can call the dude and tell him that the shit he made saved his fucking life.

The idea is to drive secretaries to kill themselves/leak if shit like that ever happens again.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    On September 11th my family will be celebrating and giving gifts!
    because it's also my grandfather's birthday, he will be the one receiving gifts

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'll be at class... Forest Ecology, my necessary 4-credit science lab. I'm sure people will mention it, but I'm hoping people stay on topic.
    Wub wrote:
    Posting tribute.avi on facebook.

Oh god, you just reminded me to stay away from Facebook on Sunday.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Oh yeah, I should steer clear of Facebook Sunday cause I don't want to get a stroke from reading posts by stupid people. I don't want to hear from people who said "the war's over" when Bin Laden died or saying "remember Pearl Harbor" after the Japan earthquake/tsunami.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Oh yeah, I should steer clear of Facebook Sunday cause I don't want to get a stroke from reading posts by stupid people. I don't want to hear from people who said "the war's over" when Bin Laden died or saying "remember Pearl Harbor" after the Japan earthquake/tsunami.

This is the exact reason that I keep my Facebook Friends list at a low population: If there's going to be stupid, I'd like for it to be manageable amounts of stupid.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    My most recent favorite came when the debt ceiling talks were heating up and one of my "friends" made a status saying "How is Obama so retarded, the easiest way to resolve the debt crises is to make more money!!" I wanted to kill myself after that.

• Options
    dbrock270 wrote:
    "remember Pearl Harbor" after the Japan earthquake/tsunami.

What?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I'm already seeing complaints on Facebook that port authority officers/firefighters/etc. aren't "invited" to Ground Zero. I don't think they understand that Ground Zero doesn't have an infinite amount of space, and the families of the victims take priority.

EDIT:

Stupid auto-correct

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    Getting stoned and making potentially upsetting facebook posts. I do it on all holidays.

sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Ryadic wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:

What?

Basically the retards on my feed said "Japan never gave us help after Pearl Harbor!!", "This is gawd's revenge for Pearl Harbor" and just plainly "remember Pearl Harbor!!!"

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'm already seeing complaints on Facebook that port authority officers/firefighters/etc. aren't "invited" to Ground Zero. I don't think they understand that Ground Zero doesn't have an infinite amount of space, and the families of the victims take priority.

EDIT:

Stupid auto-correct

If only we had some way of stacking people on top of each other, then Ground Zero would have plenty of space.

• Options
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Ryadic wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:

What?

Basically the retards on my feed said "Japan never gave us help after Pearl Harbor!!", "This is gawd's revenge for Pearl Harbor" and just plainly "remember Pearl Harbor!!!"

That's what I thought you were saying...

What is wrong with people?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ryadic wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Ryadic wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:

What?

That's what I thought you were saying...

What is wrong with people?

I think it's the American education system that promotes being retarded.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Well it's 9/11. I think fireworks, BBQ, and alcohol is in order.
    Probably just working actually.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Working? On a Sunday?

• Options
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Working? On a Sunday?

Sunday is Wal-Mart's biggest day! God may have rested, but the impulsive consumerism of people doesn't!

• Options
    Kagera wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Working? On a Sunday?

Sunday is Wal-Mart's biggest day! God may have rested, but the impulsive consumerism of people doesn't!

Thank you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm going to be as cynical as possible.

What's tribute.avi?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, Sunday is a huge shopping day. Around noon or whenever the local churches let out. People don't even change: it's common to see people shopping for veggies in their Sunday finery.

I wonder if this Sunday will be any different. Too bad I don't work at Wal-Mart anymore!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Working? On a Sunday?
    It's where I'll be.

• Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Yeah, Sunday is a huge shopping day. Around noon or whenever the local churches let out. People don't even change: it's common to see people shopping for veggies in their Sunday finery.

I wonder if this Sunday will be any different. Too bad I don't work at Wal-Mart anymore!
    Yeah, too bad...?

• Options
    If you cannot instantly detect how much sarcasm was in that sentence, then you haven't been working at Wal-Mart long enough!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    If you cannot instantly detect how much sarcasm was in that sentence, then you haven't been working at Wal-Mart long enough!

Hey, considering some of the people I am co-employed with, you could have been completely honest.

These happy people are usually upper management assholes.

• Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    On 9/11, I'll be avoiding 9/11 coverage as much as possible.

On 9/12, well, that's different. On 9/12 I will need to explain to my class of students, who were 3 when it happened, what it was like to live - and teach - through that day. It's kind of a fucked up feeling. I've taught history now for 15 years. I've never been the direct link to the history.

Strangely, I think I'll have a harder time talking about it this time than I did helping my kids that day. (I've received several nice emails from the students I had that day, in particular the class that I had when the principal announced the attack). I've always done well, on a sort of autopilot, in crisis situations. Then I get horrible fucking shakes.

It's apparently taken me ten years to get the shakes. Just caught 10 minutes of the Dateline coverage of the attacks while putting away groceries. They showed footage of some of the firefighters entering the towers. Clear as day I remembered watching that in a colleague's room ten years ago, and thinking what cool-headed mother fuckers they were.

I'm gonna have a hard time on Monday.

If I didn't teach US History, I think I'd be like a lot of the rest of you - put it behind. I can't put it behind. I have to put it into fucking context.

JudgeZed.png