As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Republicans: Political Party, or Apocalyptic Cult?

1235»

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    When you get right down to it, I have more respect for the Tea Party types than the brand of conservatives you see here. At least they'll stand by and scream what they believe when you press them. I don't like them for it, but at least it's an honest conflict of ideas.
    As many of the liberals on this board will certainly tell you, I'm the furthest thing from shy when it comes to telling people what I believe. Feel free to ask any questions you want about my political beliefs. I'll happily give you the full frontal (political) monty.

That's not the point of his statement Modern Man. He's saying that the Tea Party stands by what they say no matter how inane it is. When you get caught up in something, you start playing rhetoric games or moving goal posts, etc.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    So if they're an apocalyptic death cult we should probably be using force to route them out right?

I mean that's what we do with terrorists right?

We will find them... and smoke them out.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    Litejedi wrote:
    I wish I had the link to all the people who have been killed as a consequence of this "mild" speech! Since 2008, close to 20 people are dead and maybe 50 people in prison as a consequence of trying to kill or seriously injure people they disagreed with politically. The guy who shot up the unitarian church is one. And you're ignoring all the violence in the 90s that happens to pop up whenever Republicans lose a major office.
    Yeah, I'm sure there is plenty of evidence showing how right wing political opinions cause people to kill. I'm sure you can show evidence that right-wing political violence, or political violence of any kind, is something other than an incredibly rare occurrence in the US.
    The far right in the US is not just dangerous to the politics of the country, but has been inciting violence against citizens and the government as a method of protest for some time. This is a fact The left has done so as well, but considerably less (don't be a false equivalency goose) and even MORE less in recent years. At the moment, comparing the two is laughable, so please don't go down that road.
    No, that's a fantasy the exists only in your head.

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    UrcbubUrcbub Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    Urcbub wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    Urcbub wrote:
    Ask and ye shall receive.

political violence from the tea party:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2010/10/rand-paul-supporter-stomps-on-woman.html
    So, some campaign volunteer goes violent, the Rand Paul campaign immediately states that "Whatever the perceived provocation, any level of aggression or violence is deplorable, and will not be tolerated by our campaign." This is proof of the Tea Party's propensity for violence how, exactly?

Have you ever worked on a campaign? Every campaign attracts its share of nuts who probably shouldn't be allowed out of the house. Every once in a while, an incident is going to happen. But to say that this is somehow evidence of Tea Party political violence is just you grasping at straws.

Oh I don't know, that he stepped on a subdued woman's head?

One guy's violence = Tea Party is violent, right?
    One communist shoots a President. All commies are assassins!
    As usual, urcbub's logic is mangled.

And as always Spool creates extra statements and never-stated opinions that he assigns to me so he can personally attack me.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    So Henroid, which one is it? Are they enemies you disagree with, or are they things you even don't consider people?
    Because I'd be very happy to see you fully walk back that line I've quoted a couple times. It was kind of... inhuman.

My asshole answer is, "Well, even animals should be cared for, come on now."

My more thought out answer is, the lacking qualities still stand, but yes they are humans I just disagree with. But no matter how much I disagree with them, if someone is in dire need or I can just help with a small kindness, it'll be delivered. Sometimes they piss me off so much that I'll call them names and such. It's a mistake. I mean, I'm only human.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    So if they're an apocalyptic death cult we should probably be using force to route them out right?

Maybe we could develop some sort of camp to put them in. Surely its dangerous to let terrorists roam free.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Modern Man wrote:
    Now you're afraid of people peacefully exercising their 2nd Amendment rights while peacefully exercising their 1st Amendment rights? Your world must be really scary.

No. I know exactly what it means when someone shows up a political rally with a fucking weapon. It's intimidation.

Again, you like to play these little logic games. I'm the bad guy for reacting badly when people act like thugs, because it is technically legal for them to do so.
    Who are they trying to intimidate, other members of the Tea Party at the rally?

Maybe you live somewhere where armed citizens are a rarity, I don't know. But there are plenty of parts of this country where being armed in public is no big thing.

Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    Yeah, I'm sure there is plenty of evidence showing how right wing political opinions cause people to kill. I'm sure you can show evidence that right-wing political violence, or political violence of any kind, is something other than an incredibly rare occurrence in the US.

I will say that political violence against white, middle class Americans is very rare. If you are black, a union member or some other undesirable, you can find lots of evidence of political violence against you. Some of it very recent.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote:

Ron Paul could make some good jerky.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Modern Man wrote:
    But there are plenty of parts of this country where being armed in public is no big thing.

Maybe it seems like no big thing because people are too afraid to speak out against it! (Seeeeeee I can do stuff tooooo)

• Options
    Modern Man wrote:
    Maybe you live somewhere where armed citizens are a rarity, I don't know. But there are plenty of parts of this country where being armed in public is no big thing.

And at no point in our history has "at a town hall meeting" been one of those places.

• Options
    Modern Man wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    Now you're afraid of people peacefully exercising their 2nd Amendment rights while peacefully exercising their 1st Amendment rights? Your world must be really scary.

No. I know exactly what it means when someone shows up a political rally with a fucking weapon. It's intimidation.

Again, you like to play these little logic games. I'm the bad guy for reacting badly when people act like thugs, because it is technically legal for them to do so.

and you guys wonder why the rest of the world looks at you like you have three heads, all spewing glossolalia

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Modern Man wrote:

I will say that political violence against white, middle class Americans is very rare. If you are black, a union member or some other undesirable, you can find lots of evidence of political violence against you. Some of it very recent.

I'm quoting this to point out a very, VERY important qualifier that people are going to predictably ignore, just to cut the bullshit off at the pass.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote:

INFLAMMATORY RHETORIC!

... if there's smoke, there's fire, you see.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    So Henroid, which one is it? Are they enemies you disagree with, or are they things you even don't consider people?
    Because I'd be very happy to see you fully walk back that line I've quoted a couple times. It was kind of... inhuman.
    Oh, stop being a disingenuous goose. Just because I think some person is a reprehensible sack of gooseshit doesn't mean that I am denying them their humanity.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

That's not a line I feel that it's really appropriate to cross at this point.

That being said, I do think we need to start up some liberal-leaning groups to practice some voter caging; I think the "put up flyers advertising election day as one day later around nursing homes and old, white neighborhoods" strategy should be fairly effective. Also, we need to get Democratic secretaries of state to start closing up polling places in Republican-leaning districts, force them to consolidate. Also, if we can make it so that handicap-accessible polling places are few and far between, I think there will be a net benefit to that; handicap people tend to skew old, and that's a demographic that could do with some caging.

• Options
    UrcbubUrcbub Registered User regular
    Interesting... as soon as multiple conservative posters joined the thread we went from discussing the GOP to arguing and defending an endless barrage of straw man arguments and baseless accusations.

• Options
    spool32 wrote:
    Oh, stop being a disingenuous goose. Just because I think some person is a reprehensible sack of gooseshit doesn't mean that I am denying them their humanity.

That's my job!

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Urcbub wrote:
    Interesting... as soon as multiple conservative posters joined the thread we went from discussing the GOP to arguing and defending an endless barrage of straw man arguments and baseless accusations.

When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have morality on your side, argue morality. When you have nothing, bang the table and argue bullshit.

• Options
    Modern Man wrote:

If by "recent" you mean the 1960's or so, sure.

These days, union members are the ones more likely to be engaged in intimidating tactics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFHBGGvuQhA&feature=player_embedded

Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    And the gay rights movement needs to step things up in conservative strongholds. They need to start holding rallies in front of churches on Sunday mornings. Rallies in which they exercise both their first- and second-amendment rights.

I think gun-toting leather daddies making out in front of Baptist churches on Sunday mornings is what's going to turn this country around.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:

That's not a line I feel that it's really appropriate to cross at this point.
    Why? You've happily called them terrorists. The point to this thread to talk about how evil you think they are.

So why not use force? Why are you coddling terrorists?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:
    And the gay rights movement needs to step things up in conservative strongholds. They need to start holding rallies in front of churches on Sunday mornings. Rallies in which they exercise both their first- and second-amendment rights.

I think gun-toting leather daddies making out in front of Baptist churches on Sunday mornings is what's going to turn this country around.

I'm not sure wielding weapons is a good idea until liberals stop sucking at controlling the narrative.

Because, basically, we'll be the ones ending up in concentration camps.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Arivia wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:

and you guys wonder why the rest of the world looks at you like you have three heads, all spewing glossolalia
    Goodness, foreigners don't like our approach to gun rights. Americans should care about this why, exactly?

Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Dear Thread,

No.

XOXO,
    ElJeffe

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.