As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gears of War 3: DLC #3: Fenix Rising Next Week, Compounding Horde Reward Weekend!

• Options
    hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    Casual Mode has autoaiming lock-on stuff: if you have any Gears1/2 MP achievements, or get a certain number of kills in casual mode, the game will tell you you're ready for the big leagues and graduate you up out of casual mode, at which point it becomes inaccessible to you.

No wonder I was doing so well!

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote:
    now you can buy the green liquid metal skins on the marketplace
    so if you missed the promotion, you can now pay 4 dollars for them.

I know I paid more than that in diet soda for the 7 copies I got.

Well, we appreciate it. Plus you got an increased chance to get diabetes, so you can't really complain.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Just saw this at TrueAchievements for the Fenix Rising DLC:

http://www.trueachievements.com/dlc.aspx?dlcid=4243
    Now They Begin to Understand (20)
    Complete all 12 waves of Beast on all Fenix Rising maps.

Defending the Past(25)
    Complete all 50 waves of Horde on any of the Fenix Rising maps.

Come to Poppa! (15)
    Win a Versus multiplayer match as a team of five Recruit Claytons (any mode).

Locust, Forever! (15)
    Win a Versus multiplayer match as a team of five Savage Marauders (any mode).

Time to Re-up! (50)
    Achieve level 100 and choose to re-up for another tour of duty.

Again! (50)
    Achieve level 100 a second time and choose to re-up for another tour.

I've Done it All! (75)
    Earn at least one of each of the original 132 combat ribbons.

There are a couple of the original combat ribbons that are pretty tough to get, but overall the achievements look like fun. Obviously the re-upping achievement will take a bit.

What are the difficult combat ribbons to get? The one that looks hard to me is:

Team Shaman - Healed 4 teammates at once [Kantus].

NibCrom on
  • Options
    So is the 4th DLC going to have achievements? Or is 1750GS the limit?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    NibCrom wrote:

It'll be the first officially sanctioned 2000GS game (A couple of games snuck over the 1750GS limit due to expansions/added games.)

• Options
    NibCrom wrote:

It'll be the first officially sanctioned 2000GS game (A couple of games snuck over the 1750GS limit due to expansions/added games.)

Interesting. I'm pretty happy with the achievements for this DLC pack. I wanted to get one of each of the combat ribbons anyways. I'm glad there isn't an achievement like the Foreshadowing one from DLC #2.

• Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Okay, so prestige doesn't come out until Fenix Rising does, which is about a week or two. Any mention of special symbols to show that you have hit level 100 once already?

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Hasn't been much said about it, as far as I know. Just the original announcement e-mail.

EDIT: We should probably get a group of five season pass holders together and hammer out those 5-map achievements that have been popping up so much.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Okay, so prestige doesn't come out until Fenix Rising does, which is about a week or two. Any mention of special symbols to show that you have hit level 100 once already?

http://gamingtrend.com/2011/12/21/fenix-rising-dlc-coming-to-gears-of-war-3-in-january/
    "There will be three tiers : Plasma, Omen, and Electric. Each tier will feature a unique icon representing it letting the competition know how badly you mean business."

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Time to Re-up! (50)

Again! (50)

On the bright side, you'd probably get Seriously along the way too.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Time to Re-up! (50)

Again! (50)

I doubt you would get Seriously 3.0 even after re-upping twice. You need a bare minimum of 54,000 multiplayer kills, not to mention 7.5 million arcade points, 1 million dollars in beast and 5 million in horde. I would be surprised to get Seriously 3.0 before re-upping a potential third time.

• Options
    NibCrom wrote:
    Time to Re-up! (50)

Again! (50)

I doubt you would get Seriously 3.0 even after re-upping twice. You need a bare minimum of 54,000 multiplayer kills, not to mention 7.5 million arcade points, 1 million dollars in beast and 5 million in horde. I would be surprised to get Seriously 3.0 before re-upping a potential third time.

Thanks. :(

• Options
    NibCrom wrote:
    Time to Re-up! (50)

Again! (50)

Thanks. :(

haha

What I meant to say was... you'll EASILY get Seriously 3.0, Tastydonuts. Easy as pie. Or donuts.

• Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    So the new maps with Fenix rising: do we know if they'll be free versus maps like the booster pack or how are they handling it?

NeuralFizz on
  • Options
    I didn't hear anything about them being free for versus.

• Options
    I've heard specifically that they won't be available for free in any way.

• Options
    Inker2000Inker2000 Registered User regular
    anyone interested in some achievements this weekend? i was thinking the zeta squad one, but id be up for others as well.

• Options
    Yay! I got the Foreshadowing achievement out of the way.

• Options
    GodofalluGodofallu Oshkosh, WIRegistered User regular
    I was hoping to find some people to play with, tried adding the gears pa tag but it's full.

Anyone can feel free to add me, gamertag going2killu.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Anyone feel like helping me kill the final boss on Hardcore? Hardcore hasn't been very difficult so far. No clue why they felt the need to ratchet it up so high for one part of the game.

Gamertag is "just Cullen" minus the quotes.

edit: nvm, did it on Normal just to get it done.

Renzo on
  • Options
    So apparently TU3 will hit the same time as DLC3.

• Options
    Any news on what the TU will be? I'm pretty happy with the game as is.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    so is there a particular game type you have to play for the play as a Zeta member achievement (Ghosts from the Past, not the horde mode one)?

I"ve been doing KOTH but it doesn't show progress. :|

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    They have to be public matches, but as far as I know, any mode is good.

• Options
    Do many people use headsets in Gears to communicate?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    They have to be public matches, but as far as I know, any mode is good.

Yea, I dunno why it wasn't incrementing for me. I'll try again tonight I guess.

I turn my headset on but if I'm just running around in quickmatch I usually don't put it in my ear because most of the time it's not worth listening to.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    I turn my headset on but if I'm just running around in quickmatch I usually don't put it in my ear because most of the time it's not worth listening to.

Yeah, I figure it'd be nice just to be able to communicate when it's actually useful to do so. Is the standard Microsoft headset "good enough"? I'd rather not plunk down $40+ yet if I'm not sure I'm going to use it much.

• Options
    I don't see why it wouldn't be enough. I use a non-bluetooth wireless headset myself, it's the Reach Edition? I went through a few of the wired before that.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    The wired I got with my Pro way back when was crap, but the one that came with my new slim works like a charm. Which is good because I didn't use my wireless one for so long that it no longer holds a charge. :(

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Title Update 3 is due out tomorrow (the 11th). Here's some of what it'll contain.
    Gears of War 3 Title Update Coming January 11

A new Title Update for Gears of War 3 will be available January 11, 2012 and will be downloaded automatically by starting Gears 3 while connected to Xbox LIVE. The update will include a variety of balance tweaks, bug fixes and more. Here’s a sneak peek at some of what you can expect to see:

Improvements

1. All unlockable and non-purchasable characters are unlocked for System Link play. Online play still limits players to characters that they have unlocked or have purchased through DLC.

2. “Classic” stalemates are now enabled on the Execution and Warzone playlist. An option exists in private Execution to disable classic stalemates and re-enable the man-up rule.

3. The ghost camera can be raised and lowered using the Xbox controller d-pad.

4. “Must Active Reload” mutator has been made more restrictive. Issues with the Torque Bow and OneShot have been fixed.

5. “Retribution” ribbon is now compatible with dedicated servers.

6. Holding the “Y” button before being in range of a DBNO player and then walking into activation range will start the execution sequence. This is similar to holding “X” to queue up a weapon pickup sequence when walking into range of a dropped weapon.

Exploit Fixes

1. Removed Hammerburst and Longshot exploits with using the iron-sights/scope on Mercy where a player could shoot from a concealed position near the Sanctuary bells. Damage will not register when players are using the scope or iron-sights from that concealed position.

2. Fixed the OneShot exploit on Drydock. Players will be pulled out of the OneShot mounted pose when in certain positions.

General Fixes

1. A second player signing in on the loading screen before entering the pre-game lobby will no longer cause profile issues.

2. The transition from spectator player view to ghost camera view will no longer force the ghost camera view to point upwards.

3. The map cycle in QuickMatch is now randomly ordered.

4. DLC that is not owned by the current player will no longer stop the player from using DLC they do own.

5. Horde will no longer use the Versus weapon swaps. Horde players will have Hammer of Dawn and Mortar spawns on Overpass again.

6. Fixed the lens flare on a scoped Longshot not appearing for a player facing left.

7. Xbox system notifications have been moved out of the way of kill messages in competitive multiplayer. They now show up in the top center of the screen

Source: http://epicgames.com/community/2012/01/gears-of-war-3-title-update-3-coming-january-11-2012/

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Sounds good to me. The game feels very balanced to me these days, so I'm glad there's no changes to that. Kinda cool that you can play as locked characters in local games.

• Options
    Holding the “Y” button before being in range of a DBNO player and then walking into activation range will start the execution sequence. This is similar to holding “X” to queue up a weapon pickup sequence when walking into range of a dropped weapon.

This is nice.

• Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    I'm stoked they finally fixed the map rotation in Quick match!

• Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    NeuralFizz wrote:
    I'm stoked they finally fixed the map rotation in Quick match!

Same, I haven't seen Checkout in like a month.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jake CappsJake Capps Patrick Space Force Base, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Inker2000 wrote:
    anyone interested in some achievements this weekend? i was thinking the zeta squad one, but id be up for others as well.

Count me in.

GT = Parzival 37

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    I'm up for that too.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Is that Prestige Mode really only available for those who purchase the DLC pack? Seems like that would be a good title update for everyone.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Idx86 wrote:
    Is that Prestige Mode really only available for those who purchase the DLC pack? Seems like that would be a good title update for everyone.

Seems that the DLC is required:
    @PeteNub Is the Re-Up only available thru DLC purchase or will it be a roll out to all?

@NeonGear_XLR DLC required. The preview images for the Re-Up skins have to be in a content package which only works in DLC.

tweet

It's a major point of the DLC too. So... yeah.

PS:
    XP over 100 doesn't count towards a future Re-Up tour. No bonuses for fence sitters, pull the trigger and Re-Up. #LateGearsmasPresent

tweet

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    It will take me a long ass time to get to 100 anyway, so I guess it's not that big of a deal.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Yea, unless they significantly increase the XP gain rate, I don't see myself hitting 100 anytime soon. Especially with a massive backlog and fact that I'd could accrue far more gamerscore in the time it'd take to do it.