Options

[Dead Island] 2 Million Copies Sold, 20 Million Zombies Killed

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    It is very rare. Most memorable accent in video games goes to far cry2 with its say everything in one breath.

That and Bolo Santosi in just cause 2.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Oh god, fake singaporian accents D:

Hey isy I'll have your dirt 3 code tomorrow evening :^:

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Aw dude. That's awesome of you, know you been through alot for it and I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I'm Kinda blind atm :lol:

Bloody pink eye. It'll be days before I can play anything comfortably.

• Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    And the Australian accents usually sound like Kiwis kinda sorta but not really doing an Aussie accent. If they just said they were New Zealanders it wouldn't be too bad.

The only character I've found so far that sounds like a passable kiwi is Ryan in the church. If anything half the cast sound like a horrible attempt at South African. I guess these are the attempts at a PNG accent. But yeah, the accents in this game are shocking and they really just should have hired Aussies

battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i still find even fake australian accents pretty hot if it's a woman speaking

/chosepurnaforfirstplaythrough

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Purna's accent kept flip-flipping back and forth between annoying and sexy for me...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Tef wrote:
    I know understand what you US guys are talking about in regards to weird VO work. People talk about shoddy French-Canadians pretending to be from California and to me it's kind of like 'eh, it's not that noticeable is it?' After hearing Dead Island's attempts at Aussie/Singaporian/PNG accents, I get that feeling.

I've come to love their accents though, it's an endearing trait.

I also get a malicious joy out of hearing people complain about the steering wheel being on the wrong side in the cars and people getting caught in the passenger seat :twisted:

Yeah, I lived in Australia long enough to get the jokes they told about New Zealand accents, so while everybody else was saying the voice work was fine, I was just laughing at a couple of the most ridiculous lines.

Far Cry 2 made me wet my pants with laughter with the horrible attempts at South African accents. So bad. So so bad.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Purna's accent kept flip-flipping back and forth between annoying and sexy for me...

This and has anyone else noticed how much louder your characters voice is than everything else? Like, I have my speakers turned up to pick up the minutia and small details for a more complete experience, and then all of a sudden, "LET'S HAVE A LOOK!" If there's something I desperately want to fix, it is this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LordGravewishLordGravewish Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    So... Steam just finished downloading a 71MB update! Anyone know what it's all about? Changelog anywhere?

EDIT: Ahaha this is just amazing... Now the game just crashes upon launch. Everyone at the steam forums is reporting a crash too.

LordGravewish on
    Without me, it's just aweso.
    Xfire: lordgravewish
    Steam: LordGravewish
  • Options
    A British NerdA British Nerd Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote:
    Bolo Santosi in just cause 2.
    I completely forgot about her.
    "I am the leader of the revolutionary army known as the Reapers."

fs.png
  • Options
    LordGravewishLordGravewish Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Well, I've got to hand it to Techland! They can sure fix their bugs!
    Before this update, there were loads, now there's only one.
    CLOG: [PID] 4772
    CLOG: [CFactory::CreateObject] WARNING! object of class <GameDI> creator_level==NULL!
    WARN: [ParseUnit] cannot open file 'QuickAccessVars.scr'
    CLOG: [TaskManager] TM5177eea6, dedicated worker threads: 1 + 3
    CLOG:
    CLOG: Game data corrupted
    CLOG: The game cannot start because your game data appear to be corrupted!
    CLOG:

And yes, everyone at steam forums is complaining of this exact same thing...

LordGravewish on
    Without me, it's just aweso.
    Xfire: lordgravewish
    Steam: LordGravewish
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote:
    Bolo Santosi in just cause 2.
    I completely forgot about her.

"My name is Boooloooo Santooossssiiiiii..."

I loved the accents in general in JC2.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Ah yes

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Well, I've got to hand it to Techland! They can sure fix their bugs!
    Before this update, there were loads, now there's only one.
    CLOG: [PID] 4772
    CLOG: [CFactory::CreateObject] WARNING! object of class <GameDI> creator_level==NULL!
    WARN: [ParseUnit] cannot open file 'QuickAccessVars.scr'
    CLOG: [TaskManager] TM5177eea6, dedicated worker threads: 1 + 3
    CLOG:
    CLOG: Game data corrupted
    CLOG: The game cannot start because your game data appear to be corrupted!
    CLOG:

And yes, everyone at steam forums is complaining of this exact same thing...

lol

I love the game, but I'm so glad I beat it. I am even thinking of deleting it from my installed Steam games until they totally fix it and release the Ryder White Campaign DLC.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited October 2011

Ah yes

Linked for hugeness

Big Classy on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Did anyone just get the new update for Dead Island? If so, did it break it for you too? My friend and I can't play now.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote:
    Did anyone just get the new update for Dead Island? If so, did it break it for you too? My friend and I can't play now.

it's broken for everyone.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Shii... Just left the game for two seconds to restart it.

• Options
    urahonky wrote:
    Shii... Just left the game for two seconds to restart it.

we think it's a virus.

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    Another update was downloaded
    whaaaaaaa

• Options
    it works now. Go go go

• Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    Any idea what the patch does besides break the game?

• Options
    Lep wrote:
    Any idea what the patch does besides break the game?

fix the game.

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    I hate the lack of patch notes on Steam. :-/

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    So does anybody anywhere know what this patch was supposed to do, besides fuck it all up

• Options
    it likely was there to fix some savegame issues, but it broke the game. the subsequent 'patch' just reverted the game back to the way it was before.

in other news, logan is a hell of a lot of fun to play. i've got him outfitted with 7 machetes, and have been zooming down the skill trees. next up is huge crit chances with telling blows, and that's going to be a blast.

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    it likely was there to fix some savegame issues, but it broke the game. the subsequent 'patch' just reverted the game back to the way it was before.

in other news, logan is a hell of a lot of fun to play. i've got him outfitted with 7 machetes, and have been zooming down the skill trees. next up is huge crit chances with telling blows, and that's going to be a blast.
    That with the Mindblowing Dev Mod is so broken, 100% chance to crit a 1 shot kill on any opponent that isn't a special (Thug/Ram etc)
    Combined with Boomerang skill and the game becomes too easy.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Viking wrote:

That with the Mindblowing Dev Mod is so broken, 100% chance to crit a 1 shot kill on any opponent that isn't a special (Thug/Ram etc)

Well, the Dev mods are extras. They're supposed to make the game easy.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I am stopping in here to ask how people could possibly only have killed 10 zombies. You can't twirl around holding a bowling ball in your outstretched arms without knocking over 10 zombies.

• Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    I am stopping in here to ask how people could possibly only have killed 10 zombies. You can't twirl around holding a bowling ball in your outstretched arms without knocking over 10 zombies.

now I wish there really were bowling balls in this game. :( Needed a bowling alley, so I can throw pins at their heads, too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Viking wrote:

Well, the Dev mods are extras. They're supposed to make the game easy.

be that as it may, Logan with the mindblowing knife means that zombies might as well not be in the game. even the final boss was killed before I could blink.

• Options
    anddd i just got my mind-blowing knife. had 20 diamonds so i made 4 of them in case boomerang doesn't proc when i want it to.

it's glorious.

but i've learned that i need to spec into Economical Throw so i can do shit like THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LozM8McDbUA

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Yes its exactly that skill and the mindblowing knife that makes the zombies trivial.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    So finally finished it.

That was....well, an ending.
    That whole ending at the end was just fucking special. SUPER TERRORISTS! NUKES! HEROIC SACRIFICE!

Not that this game was stellar on the writing front before but at least it didn't cause me to roll my eyes at it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    i really wanted to have a choice about how to escape/end the game.
    basically, at act 4 i wanted the russian dude, white, and sinamoi to offer you conflicting missions. you'd have to pick one of them to help, and you'd wind up with 3 different endings.

1. you go with white and things play out as they do in the game

2. you go with the russian dude and have to leave yerema and jin behind as you run the military blockade

3. you stay behind with sinamoi and the rest, choosing to help them survive for as long as you can

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Eh, it's pretty obvious that the story was a secondary consideration to the setting. I was kinda upset that the story devolved into a nonsensical mess, but killing zombies was so much fun it didn't detract from the game too much.

• Options
    yeah, it's like borderlands in that sense.

and honestly it's the direct inverse of mass effect 1 where they nailed the story and completely whiffed on the gameplay.
    i have multiple playthroughs of both borderlands AND mass effect 1 :rotate:

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    At least in Borderlands the story got the fuck out of the way.
    While it has a bit of a hoodwink it was done well enough you weren't obviously being lied to. Then you weren't forced to watch as the guy who was obviously a lying sack of shit said "See, see how I fooled you?"

That combined with the cut scene idiocy just left me so burned out on it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    anyone know what the latest 79mb patch is about? any official patch notes available?

• Options
    edited October 2011
    No idea, I haven't noticed anything. I imagine it's the real version of the patch they screwed up this weekend.

Really wish there were patch notes somewhere.

Fencingsax on