As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is this the DVD recording thing I am looking for?

LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm not particularly knowledgeable about technology, which always makes things interesting when I actually decide to purchase a piece of tech.

What I am after:

- Something that will allow me to record TV programs onto DVDs, DVDs that I can then play in my DVD player.

What I currently have:

- Cable TV through Comcast
- A DVR box rented through Comcast, which keeps dying/freezing on me, is generally unreliable, and has no way to transfer its recordings onto any kind of disk. (From what I've read online, Comcast specifically disabled the feature.) I hate this thing so much and will be dumping it as soon as I get a DVD recorder.
- A fairly old TV (old enough to weigh a million pounds. But it did hook up to the cable box with no problems.) Not HDTV, obviously. Maybe someday I will get HDTV but probably not for a couple years.
- A basic DVD player.
- I do not have any BluRay discs, just regular DVDs.

What I am considering buying:

Magnavox MDR513H

If you guys could take a look at it and say "Yes, that will do what you want" or "no, it doesn't", I'd appreciate it. I feel like I am lost in seas of phrases I don't understand, like "progressive scan" and "1 month 36 programming".

Also feel free to make suggestions. My budget is $200 before taxes and shipping. (The Magnavox there happens to be on sale at Target.com for that price, which is one of the reasons I'm interested in that particular model.)

LadyM on

• Options
    CreamstoutCreamstout What you think I program for, to push a fuckin' quad-core? Registered User regular
    That will work for what you want to do, keep in mind it has a built in hard drive that you can also use to record TV, and this unit will also function as a DVD player.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Might want to check with Comcast to make sure it will work.

I thought you needed a cableCARD to get access to your account and the OnDemand stuff if you wanted to use a personal DVR. Maybe that's just for HDTV?

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Without knowing what specific DVD player you have, there's no way we can guaranty that it will play discs burned off the Magnavox.