As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Civilization V GOTY edition coming up but be warned

BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
I'm sure this will be market soon but there are three things you need to know before deciding to invest.

1. This game is flawed. There have been lost of patches put out but there are still major problems with the AI and also plenty of crash problems. So before buying look in the forums at http://forums.2kgames.com/forumdisplay.php?74-Civilization-V-General-Discussion and at http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=375
2. The game manual has so far not been updated so it matches the many patches so there has been put out which impacts the quality of gaming. Basically you may for instance plan to build some unit only to find it has unexpected weaknesses or some wonder may have been made almost useless.
3. The game requires Steam so playing without being online is a pain (and on the original boxed version that was not said so in clear language on the box).

Bones heal, glory is forever.
BlindZenDriver on

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I don't ever recall a PC game manual being updated as the game itself was patched up. Expansions, sure, but patches? That's a little unrealistic of you.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Oh no!

A game has problems every other strategy game/steam game in history has had.

Thanks for making a brand new post to let us know.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    For the record, I've never had Civ V crash on me. Also the AI is pretty good with the most recent version of the game.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So there's a chance this guy just hates Civ V for some reason and feels the need to campaign against it?

• Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    Oh no!

A game has problems every other strategy game/steam game in history has had.

Thanks for making a brand new post to let us know.

Well superfluous threads aside, I actually can't remember any AAA strategy game with as blatantly abysmal AI as Civ V...

...it's quite game breaking (or at least made me stop playing) which leaves multiplayer the only option... only, play by e-mail insn't supported anymore and the networking code is apparently very buggy and no units are animated (which imo makes it quite difficult to see what is going on, especially after battles).

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I'm sure this will be market soon but there are three things you need to know before deciding to invest.

1. This game is flawed. There have been lost of patches put out but there are still major problems with the AI and also plenty of crash problems. So before buying look in the forums at http://forums.2kgames.com/forumdisplay.php?74-Civilization-V-General-Discussion and at http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=375
    2. The game manual has so far not been updated so it matches the many patches so there has been put out which impacts the quality of gaming. Basically you may for instance plan to build some unit only to find it has unexpected weaknesses or some wonder may have been made almost useless.
    3. The game requires Steam so playing without being online is a pain (and on the original boxed version that was not said so in clear language on the box).

What manual are you talking about here? The pdf version?

But yeah, the game is still about as flawed as it was in the release - AI and MP is still sketchy. You don't have to hate the game to want to warn people.

• Options
    Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    My gods, show the nice lady on the doll where the Civ game touched you.

What sort of trauma was inflicted to make someone to start a new thread solely to "warn" people about a game of the year edition?

As a counterpoint, Civ 5 has been patched several times, the AI and balance is much better, and it's now a very good game that I'd recommend to any Civ fan. You know, in exactly the same way Civ 4 was tweaked and patched repeatedly to make it work when it launched in a bad, broken state.

Maledict66 on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Civ 5 is far from perfect, but it's also pretty far from terrible,and they're still not finished with it. Hell, even Civ 4 was still very broken by the time they stopped patching it, but it didn't stop it from being a lot of fun.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    So there's a chance this guy just hates Civ V for some reason and feels the need to campaign against it?
    "This guy" - was it to hard to type my nick?

Seriously people - I am very sorry starting a new thread is offending but I suggest getting over it.

The reason I post is that it's likely the GOTY edition will see some marketing and in contrast to most games having there problems fixed by GOTY time that is not the case this time.

As for the manual there are extra reasons to mention it in this case. For most games the patches will fix errors but not really touch game rules but this is not the case here which will make things confusing. Also with the original release it was promised that not delivering a printed manual was partly because it would be updated which has not happened and this goes for both the full manual in pdf-form and the in game thing which is updated a little but hugely flawed.

Finally I don't hate Civ V. But I am disappointed in the quality - in my opinion they started selling the game in a beta stage and since then they have spend more effort doing costly DLC than they have fixing the problems. Sure I could have kept that to my self but surely it is relevant info in this place. Note - I have not just posted some dribble I have brought attention to an issue and linked to info so anyone can form their own opinion.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I would like to know what games that people are playing that they are comparing the latest civ 5 patch ai to.

Because I think there may be a fair bit of rose colored glasses going on here.

• Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    Personally I've never had civ 5 crash on me, pc games can be buggy but I don't think its fair for me to call it buggy. That isn't to say others haven't had problem.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    So, lets focus on the real issue here.

What does the GotY edition include beyond the game itself? Expansions?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    So, lets focus on the real issue here.

What does the GotY edition include beyond the game itself? Expansions?

According to the press release it includes most of but not all of the DLC.

Edit: Which according to the forum post linked in the surprisingly cranky OP, means no Korea or Ancient Wonders DLC.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I hope they're getting enough money from their DLC to make a full on expansion for this...

They haven't even announced that they're working on one :(

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Hmm, a bunch of maps isn't quite as much as I was hoping for.

Now, an Alpha Centauri expansion. That would hit the spot.

Still, if this was to show up in a Steam sale, then I would be all over it.

• Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:

You're a weekend too late...

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Crash problems? I have played the game since Day 1 for 100+ hours and never once did my game crash.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    eobet wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:

You're a weekend too late...

It's not out yet!

• Options
    Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I'll chime in here and say that I'm one of the people who has sort of given up on Civ V.

I've never been able to get past the first turn in a multiplayer game (over LAN or internet) and in single player skirmishes I crash pretty consistently (even on small maps with few computer opponents) after the renaissance era (once the really long turns start) without fail despite having 8Gb and a video card and processor that runs everything modern at high or medium settings. My rig handles other games fine and I rarely get the slew of problems most people have with new games, but Civ V is a black sheep. It's unplayable.

I love the game, but I can't be bothered to play it and worry about saving constantly and/or restarting the application every 2 hours to avoid crashes that may happen anyway.

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • Options
    Henroid wrote:
    "This guy" - was it to hard to type my nick?

Seriously people - I am very sorry starting a new thread is offending but I suggest getting over it.
    Typically when a thread is started about a game, it has positive connotations. If there are negative ones, it is evidenced by actual events / news stories. Everything you've had to say about the game is anecdotal at best, as far as I can tell, since many of the posts here refute your claims.

As for the 'this guy' thing, I do that a lot with people, it wasn't anything personal. In short, 'I suggest getting over it.' ;-)
    The reason I post is that it's likely the GOTY edition will see some marketing and in contrast to most games having there problems fixed by GOTY time that is not the case this time.
    As evidenced by what? You need to show us something to prove this, not just say, "The game glitches when I play" or "I don't enjoy it." You're confusing fact and opinion there.
    As for the manual there are extra reasons to mention it in this case. For most games the patches will fix errors but not really touch game rules but this is not the case here which will make things confusing. Also with the original release it was promised that not delivering a printed manual was partly because it would be updated which has not happened and this goes for both the full manual in pdf-form and the in game thing which is updated a little but hugely flawed.
    Most manuals for PC games contain clauses that updates to the game can invalidate things mentioned in the manual. I'm willing to bet this is the case for Civ V. Don't bother answering and telling me, "NUH UH," I'm gonna wait for someone else to mention it because I'm not taking your word on anything.
    Finally I don't hate Civ V. But I am disappointed in the quality - in my opinion they started selling the game in a beta stage and since then they have spend more effort doing costly DLC than they have fixing the problems. Sure I could have kept that to my self but surely it is relevant info in this place. Note - I have not just posted some dribble I have brought attention to an issue and linked to info so anyone can form their own opinion.

It's fine to not like a game. But when you jump in and say "WARNING, WARNING," people look at your opinion different. Especially since you're the thread maker. Furthermore, instead of apologizing for being aggressive in your opinion in the wake of many people here saying things are fine, contrary to what you say, you tackle it harder.

• Options
    I'll chime in here and say that I'm one of the people who has sort of given up on Civ V.

I've never been able to get past the first turn in a multiplayer game (over LAN or internet) and in single player skirmishes I crash pretty consistently (even on small maps with few computer opponents) after the renaissance era (once the really long turns start) without fail despite having 8Gb and a video card and processor that runs everything modern at high or medium settings. My rig handles other games fine and I rarely get the slew of problems most people have with new games, but Civ V is a black sheep. It's unplayable.

I love the game, but I can't be bothered to play it and worry about saving constantly and/or restarting the application every 2 hours to avoid crashes that may happen anyway.

Curious, have you contacted tech support, given over your Direct X diag dump, etc?

• Options
    Free Giraffe Rides!!!Free Giraffe Rides!!! Registered User regular
    For the record, I've never had Civ V crash on me. Also the AI is pretty good with the most recent version of the game.

Well, if we're tossing out "it didn't crash for me" anecdotal evidence- It did crash for me, many times. High end computer, everything up to date, blah blah.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote:
    I hope they're getting enough money from their DLC to make a full on expansion for this...

They haven't even announced that they're working on one :(

It seems like they've shifted from the Civ IV expansion model to a smaller-scale DLC model for Civ V, but maybe when they run out of scenarios and civilizations to add they'll add some new gameplay aspects.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

Well, if we're tossing out "it didn't crash for me" anecdotal evidence- It did crash for me, many times. High end computer, everything up to date, blah blah.

It hasn't crashed for me.

I haven't actually tried to run the game yet though.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

Curious, have you contacted tech support, given over your Direct X diag dump, etc?

When a buddy and I were trying to get multiplayer working, I googled our problem (computer players never complete their first turn) and ended up with a few dead end forum threads and after that I just didn't bother. I haven't played it much since I lost two or three games I was pretty far along in because I forgot to save.

Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    But really, which civ V DLC are worth it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

When a buddy and I were trying to get multiplayer working, I googled our problem (computer players never complete their first turn) and ended up with a few dead end forum threads and after that I just didn't bother. I haven't played it much since I lost two or three games I was pretty far along in because I forgot to save.

You didn't have any autosaves? Did you turn that feature off?

• Options
    12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    You know the one thing that pisses me off - the game is available for OSX and Windows, but the games are not compatible at the moment...granted, there is apparently a patch in the works, but it basically means I can't play with my GF unless she buys a copy of Windows fucking 7 because Lion decided to be a pain in the ass and not allow XP (which is a different story).

davidoc0.jpg
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    I was amazed to find they had just removed the animations in multiplayer.

Apparently they were causing "problems" so they just removed the animations. Removed them.

Seriously, I couldn't believe that when I saw that.

Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    There's already a Civ thread.

This discussion has been closed.