As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hair Products?

InxInx Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Maybe one of you guys can give me a tip. I'm looking to change my hairstyle, and I've finally conceded that to get the looks I want, I'm going to have to break down and buy actual hairstyling products (whereas up until now I've been stubbornly natural about my hair). However, I hate how most hair products make your hair sticky and hard if you want them to actually WORK. I like how my hair feels, it's smooth and nice and I'm quite vain about it, but I hate how it just kinda does its own thing most of the time and I look like a hobo with a shampoo stash.

So I ask you gentlemen and ladies, are there any styling products on the market that will give me actual strength and styling hold but won't make my hair disgusting to touch? I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of my hair's natural silkiness, but not much.

Inx on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    What does the person who cuts your hair tell you? Where do you get your hair cut?

Without knowing what kind of hair you have, the length, the style, there's not much advice that can be given.

Esh on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    What he said, but I'd still suggest a matte finish wax (I have a Crew knock off that is pretty great and have used the Tigi and Guy wax to great effect) and/or hairspray. If you don't want the hard crunch of hairspray, run your fingers or a brush through it after it dries.

• Options
    Skoal Cat wrote:
    What he said, but I'd still suggest a matte finish wax (I have a Crew knock off that is pretty great and have used the Tigi and Guy wax to great effect) and/or hairspray. If you don't want the hard crunch of hairspray, run your fingers or a brush through it after it dries.

Yep. If your hair is shorter, this is a good idea. I use Kevin Murphy "Night Rider", Bumble & Bumbles "Sumotech" is another good way to go.

• Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    Right now my hair is kinda a medium length, but I want to make it a bit shorter - ultimately I want to go for a sort of modern relaxed pompadour look. More of a modern James Dean than Travolta from Grease if that makes any sense.

I haven't asked any hair professionals about it yet, as its been some time since my last haircut.

• Options
    Inx wrote:
    I haven't asked any hair professionals about it yet, as its been some time since my last haircut.

Then this is what you need to do. Go in somewhere that isn't Supercuts (ideally spend $25+), find someone who does a good job and works well with your hair, and then talk to them about products.

And remember, no amount of product may make your hair do what you want if you just don't have the hair type for it.

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    Yea, working with what your hair already does is the most important thing because then it was always look good and be soooo easy.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Inx wrote:
    So I ask you gentlemen and ladies, are there any styling products on the market that will give me actual strength and styling hold but won't make my hair disgusting to touch? I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of my hair's natural silkiness, but not much.

Try this stuff, it is fan-fucking-tastic:

matrix-biolage-molding-souffle-4-2-oz-278x278.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.