Options

PA Programming Thread :: PAdev.net - Need hosting for a service of yours? Check it out.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Saeris wrote:
    I thought the automated pretty URLs were part of the core, but maybe not. I know a site I work on has them enabled by default...

...Ah yes, looks like it is a module: http://drupal.org/project/pathauto

Thanks Saeris!

No longer do you guys need to worry about the URL, it will autogenerate correctly now.

If you don't know what to use, use Article content type.

Article: general post/blog/timely update. url /YYYY/MM/title

Basic page: core site page, you don't want to use this.

Howto: timeless article on how to work with something on PAdev. url /howto/title

Tags should be /tag/name and user pages /users/name and such, all nice and pretty now. :D

I moved several howto pages to articles by using the Convert tab (had to install a module for that too).

@GnomeTank you separate tags with commas, you made one mega tag for your post which I don't think you intended.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Okay, new URL for the script proxies guide:

http://www.padev.net/2012/02/part-1-managed-language-dynamic-script-proxies

Also fixed my tags.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    @Infidel I got a permission denied from crontab, I take it I need to allow execute for everyone on my script?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Or just the 'cron' group/user, depending on how he has cron setup to run.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Yeah I'm not sure how it's set up and a little wearing of giving 777 across the board there.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I'll take a look later tonight at what will be best to setup for user cron jobs.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    Yeah I'm not sure how it's set up and a little wearing of giving 777 across the board there.

not recommended. security hole ahoy.

• Options
    chmod +x 777 is not a security hole....it's a security fucking canyon.

• Options
    Especially since write access won't affect the ability to execute or not so granting it is pointless. :)

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    You never know with some things though. I've needed to give 777 to some web script once because the author was retarded. Hey bro, your files, not mine.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    If your web script actually needs the write bit set on it, you've done something wrong.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Yes, yes you did.

Good thing I don't admin that anymore. By default it was uploaded with 644, which was usually enough. They had me manually chmod 777 on it. I have no fucking idea why, didn't really care either, boss' problem to fix.

bowen on
  • Options
    Yeah, if you ever need to do something like that on carbon, don't. I can help you sort it out proper like. :D

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Indeed, chmod 777 all the files.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    You mean you don't want us to chmod 777 a file and then put it in one of our publicly accessible web directories?! Why not?!

Oh em gee, nazi admin all up ins.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Won't hurt me none! :rotate:

Hope you weren't wanting to protect your data though~

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Microsoft Word is my #1 most used software on my machine. Next is Power Point, and then Netbeans. That's kinda sad...

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Sublime Text 2 multiple selection is helping protect me from the horrific pain of adding ten form fields to this terrible order processing form. It's still painful, but it's manageable pain.

Everyone who can do their work outside of an IDE should try out Sublime immeeeeeediately.

• Options
    Mine is Notepad++/Visual Studio, chrome/firefox, remote desktop, command prompt, putty, filezilla/winscp, sql server manager

• Options
    Yeah, mine are Visual Studio, Notepad++, Chrome, RDP, Console2, PowerShell, SQL Server Management Studio, MySQL Management Suite and TortoiseHG.

• Options
    (Everyone should try Sublime Text)

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I can't help but feel that was ironic/punny admanb.

bowen on
  • Options
    I think he was taken over by a bot. I'm scared to even Google search it.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I have never been more sincere in my life.

Nope. That sounds wrong even to me.

I'm being dead serious though: if you're a regular user of any lightweight text-editor, like Textmate, Notepad++, emacs, vim, etc, you owe it to yourself to give Sublime Text a try. The trial is free and, as far as I could tell, completely unlimited. The editor is super light, blazing fast, and full of great features. My current favorites are multiple selection, smart file switching, and easy-to-work-with tabs and spaces. It also has the boring stuff like snippets and auto-complete.

edit: you guys are jerks

admanb on
  • Options
    No yeah that's definitely him.

• Options
    Sublime Text may be downloaded and evaluated for free, however a license must be purchased for continued use. There is no enforced time limit for the evaluation.

Huh.

• Options
    Basically "I understand you guys probably won't buy my software with things like notepad++ out there, but I'll let you use it because I'd rather someone get use out of it than me make an extra $100."

I haven't seen shareware with that ideology in years. Winzip comes to mind.

• Options
    Holy crap it's sexy.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    urahonky wrote:
    Sublime Text may be downloaded and evaluated for free, however a license must be purchased for continued use. There is no enforced time limit for the evaluation.

Huh.

Ya.

And if you buy a license it's for one "user," which can be any number of OSs across any number of computers.
    urahonky wrote:
    Holy crap it's sexy.

Yeeeeees.

That feeling doesn't go away. It only gets stronger.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    It makes C++ code look good!

e: I'll evaluate it for a bit and might even give the guy money. Man this is great.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Why didn't I know of this before?

Also what was that place that offered free private git repos?

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    @bowen bitbucket.org

• Options
    Thanks ITIE!

• Options
    urahonky wrote:
    It makes C++ code look good!

I had a similar reaction with Javascript.

• Options
    And SQL.

• Options
    bowen wrote:
    Why didn't I know of this before?

Also what was that place that offered free private git repos?

If you use Git instead of Mercurial, I will never forgive you and we'll never be friends again.

• Options
    Also, TextMate is pretty fucking awesome...I wish every day there was a Windows version of it...this Sublime Text better be fucking galactic awesome to compare it favorably to TextMate.

• Options
    GnomeTank: The Mercurial pusher.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote:
    Also, TextMate is pretty fucking awesome...I wish every day there was a Windows version of it...this Sublime Text better be fucking galactic awesome to compare it favorably to TextMate.

I switched to Sublime Text from TextMate. I've been using TextMate for 90% of my work since 2006.

Just try it.

• Options
    Check out the article now!

http://www.padev.net/2012/02/part-1-managed-language-dynamic-script-proxies

CODE SECTIONS!

You're all welcome.

(The available code tags are listed underneath the post box when editing, straight-forward shit and if there is a language you want me to enable just let me know. It uses GeSHi.)

OrokosPA.png
This discussion has been closed.