As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: September's thread is done, go to the new one

1939495969799»

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    So out of (morbid) curiosity, I checked out IGN's review of BF3 and lo and behold. . . the same kind of complaints about singleplayer while singing the praises of multi, culminating in (wait for it!) a 9/10. The thread title is psychic, I tells ya.

Is this surprising? People don't buy/play Battlefield for the singleplayer.

The thing thats surprising to me about the score is that by other reviewers admission they couldn't have properly reviewed the multi because it needs a patch to play right, yet the score is almost perfect.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Someone hit spoiler instead of quote!

forumsig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Man, if you wanna talk about churned out, derivative sequels, there's Dragon Ball Z. They're still making those? What the heck is left to add? I have Budokai Tenkaiachi 2 for the Wii. Good game, and it has every single person that ever threw a punch in the Z series. Then they apparently came out with another, that added everybody that ever threw a punch in the original series. Seriously, what more is there to do?

I pity those voice actors. One of the circles of Hell must be DBZ dubbing. Being forced to redub the same story over and over and over, until the heat death of the universe.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I fixed it. :P

Reposted due to BotP.
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    How does he get all those wonderful sales?
    Warner Bros.' new video game Batman: Arkham City sold 2 million copies worldwide in its first week, the studio said Tuesday. That puts it among the industry's fastest sellers, though still short of blockbuster franchises such as Call of Duty, whose last sequel sold 5.6 million copies on its first day.

About 4.6 million copies of Arkham City have been shipped to stores since it launched Oct. 18, meaning the game has a good chance of eventually selling at least that many copies. Warner's previous Arkham-Batman game, the 2009 hit Arkham Asylum, sold 4.3 million copies.

Arkham City was fueled by Warner Bros.' largest ever marketing campaign and received overwhelmingly positive reviews.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/10/batman-arkham-city-sells-2-million-copies-in-first-week.html

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    I pity those voice actors. One of the circles of Hell must be DBZ dubbing. Being forced to redub the same story over and over and over, until the heat death of the universe.

Ahahahaha... so true.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Incindium wrote:

Ahahahaha... so true.

I would like to see a Dante's Inferno sequel try and make this circle of hell into a level. :lol:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    Incindium wrote:

Ahahahaha... so true.

I would like to see a Dante's Inferno sequel try and make this circle of hell into a level. :lol:

Must suck to be in a hell full of money.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    Incindium wrote:

Ahahahaha... so true.

I have a theory that, when they go to tell Goku's VA that they're doing a new dubbing for whatever project, they bring along a tape recorder to capture his gut wrenching scream, and then use that for the SSJ scene. Just to save time.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Anyone else see BF3 commercials during network TV primetime last night? It noticed it because you generally don't see commercials for a specific video game during that timeslot.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    As for Batman, the game deserves all the money it makes. It is in my top five games made this generation. It's worthy of all the praise and admiration it's been getting.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote:
    Anyone else see BF3 commercials during network TV primetime last night? It noticed it because you generally don't see commercials for a specific video game during that timeslot.

BF3 and MW3 have been getting some commercial time during Sunday Night Football as well as MNF. Even The World Series. Pretty decent commercials too, Ive been noticing alot of big names getting some air time during sporting events. Rage got alot of airtime pre release during Football.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Not exactly VG industry news, but I just saw a thing on Yahoo that claims Netflix has lost roughly 800,000 members since the price hike

...!

That's close to a million...jesus

Not since the price hike... in the third quarter. So this is more or less due to the Qwikster debacle.

Anyway, new thread? New thread.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/150546/video-game-industry-thread-how-does-he-get-those-wonderful-sales

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    shitty non-hdd texture pack footage of BF3

No need to go to the PS2 era, without it just looks like textures in Rage.

Seriously, I was thinking the exact same thing. BF3 w/out the high res textures looks bad - but in fact looks quite like Rage!

Also I'm just going to reiterate the point that the shitty-texture "option" is not an option -- they had to do this because it's a Microsoft rule that every 360 game has to be able to run without a hard drive for those 360 sku's that lack hard drives, and putting a note on the box that says "Requires hard drive" is not allowed by Microsoft (this is the general rule, though it might be supposed that MS could have made an exception).

Besides, do you think EA wants to miss out on potential non-hdd-owning Xbox 360 owner sales?

Valve / Russia / preventing piracy with better service
    He's talking about how most publishers ignore Russia "because everything is pirated there." Publishers ignore the region for six months after release of some game and half-ass a localization (or total lack of localization for that matter) and then over price it. Instead, Valve tries to do a great localization job and release the game the same time as elsewhere at a reasonable price. Gabe's saying that Russia is a great and lucrative market for games when it's treated well like other regions/countries instead of being dismissed as piracy-city and half-ass releasing your game with no localization efforts long after other regions have it and wondering why the people there pirated it already / continue to pirate it.

Skull2185 wrote:
    Not exactly VG industry news, but I just saw a thing on Yahoo that claims Netflix has lost roughly 800,000 members since the price hike

...!

That's close to a million...jesus

I remember hearing they lost a lot of members.. but I thought they already reneged on the price hike and went back to their original pricing? I don't have netflix but I thought I had read that? Is that inaccurate?