As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Regular 360 HD in a slim. Bannable or ok?

TommattTommatt Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
So I've seen guides to do this, but worried it'd be a bannable offense on xbox live. I have a 250 gb elite, but have been thinking of getting a slim. It's a difference of a $100 between the 4gb model and the 250 gb model. I only need a big HD on whatever I use as my main I figure.

Tommatt on

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i doubt it would be able to tell you have done this, and i've never heard of people getting banned for it. i say do it.

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Thanks HJay. Think I'll make the plunge. I've been bored as shit inmy hotel room.

I did a quick amazon search to see what hard drives were selling for, and I saw one for the 360 slim 250gb for $40. Gonna guess this isn't a Microsoft one for that cheap. I know in the past that was bannable, surprised amazon is letting this seller sell. Sounds like he's been on there for awhile too.

• Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    This isn't a bannable offense. If anything, you'd probably just void your warranty and even then I doubt Microsoft could tell since you don't send in the HDD along for RMAs. Also, $40 for a slim HDD is either a cheap knockoff or basically just this with an enclosure.

• DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    Without Microsoft physically opening up the box and checking the warranty voiding stickers or whatnot, there's absolutely no way they'd be able to tell you'd done this. The case is a piece of plastic with a button. I've never heard of any sensors or anything inside that could notify anyone about anything.

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Oh ok, I was really worried as I remember various tricks to put bigger HD's on the original 360's and heard Microsoft was banning people from xbox live. And I once got a console repaired by MS (three red lights) and when that one broke, they tried to tell me mine was flagged for tampering. Very paranoid about having any problems.

Off to walmart I go :D.

• Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Dram wrote:
    Without Microsoft physically opening up the box and checking the warranty voiding stickers or whatnot, there's absolutely no way they'd be able to tell you'd done this. The case is a piece of plastic with a button. I've never heard of any sensors or anything inside that could notify anyone about anything.

I guess I meant in the sense that you'd be dumb enough to tip them off that you'd done this. Kind of like how Nintendo would void the warranty on your Gamecube if you let them know you used third party peripherals like memory cards.

• iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Its A-Ok.

I've got my old 20gb in a basic slim xbox right now. No issues thus far.

You don't even need to open the slim up (the original xbox harddrive enclosure you do need to crack open) but If you send it in for repairs just pull your harddrive out (like they request anyhow) and your golden.

iRevert on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Shit, you can do this? My old Xbox blew up, and sometime in the future I'm eventually going to get a slim, but there was always the question of how to get my stuff out of the old hard drive. I thought the inevitable answer was "suck it up and drop 30 bucks on the transfer cable".

Nice to know this option exists.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Hey, If anyone needs a transfer cable, they can have mine for free (unless postage to where you are is expensive).

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️