As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The cultural permeation of athletes

OrganichuOrganichu poopspeesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited September 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
So in the MMA thread we're having a little discussion about how much of a household name we can ever really expect even the best and most charismatic MMA fighter to become (at least, in the near-intermediate future). Michael Jordan was heralded as kind of the gold standard for comparison, which I think is fair.

I've decided to make this thread to get a bigger audience for the discussion and see if we can find a consensus. I guess I should throw out what I'm thinking- the framework of my goal, so to speak.

1) assume a somewhat arbitrary age cutoff. Babe Ruth might have more name pull than Mark McGuire, but it kind of falls off the spirit of the exercise.
2) this is meant to investigate aggregate cultural penetration, not just among sports fans.
3) since this started about MMA (with its biggest infrastructure in the US) and many of the sports mentioned are primarily US sports, I hope to consider this list to be from a US perspective. Obviously this will skew the prominence of some entries (so for example, Iniesta or Essien would probably not be suited for this little activity)
4) try to keep the entries per sport to a minimum! Hopefully just one!

My list would look something like this, ranked from most to least known by the average American:

Michael Jordan      (basketball)
Tiger Woods         (golf)
Mike Tyson          (boxing)
Wayne Gretzky     (hockey)
Brett Favre          (football)
Derek Jeter          (baseball)
David Beckham     (soccer)
Williams sisters     (tennis)
Chuck Liddell        (mixed martial arts)

What do y'all think?

Organichu on

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I just realized Pacquiao is like 1/10 of Tyson haha. Fixed.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I know it is a completely arbitrary distinction but you have athletes who are popular in their time, and athletes who become legends, "live forever," and become familiar to those people who have no interest in the sport. Personally I think boxing is probably the most analogous sport to MMA, and while I can't name a single current champion other than Manny Pacquiano, I can certainly rattle off Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Mike Tyson (for good and bad reasons), and perhaps Sugar Ray Leonard as legends who are familiar to those people who take no interest in boxing.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Chuck Liddell is the only person on the list who I don't know so I guess that works for me.

Neaden on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    In the context of MMA, as someone who doesn't watch MMA, I have no idea who Chuck Liddell is... however, I also don't watch golf, but know more about Tiger Woods' private life than some of my own relatives.

And that's not a knock on MMA... I just don't know that it's on the same tier, as it were, as more mainstream sports.

As regards the arbitrary age cutoff... it brings up an interesting question: Is contemporary fame more significant than lasting fame? It would be hard to make the case that Babe Ruth is less a household name than Mark McGuire... or even Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, etc.

But you could make the case that if someone thinks of baseball in today's context, Mark McGuire (or Barry Bonds/Roger Clemens) would probably be the first image conjured.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    I think probably more non-fans know Brock Lesnar than Chuck Lidell, though that's more due to WWE than MMA.

• Options
    I was going to use a WWE/WWF example, but I didn't want Chu to think I was calling MMA "not a real sport."

But in WWE/WWF, Hulk Hogan became a household name.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote:
    I know it is a completely arbitrary distinction but you have athletes who are popular in their time, and athletes who become legends, "live forever," and become familiar to those people who have no interest in the sport. Personally I think boxing is probably the most analogous sport to MMA, and while I can't name a single current champion other than Manny Pacquiano, I can certainly rattle off Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Mike Tyson (for good and bad reasons), and perhaps Sugar Ray Leonard as legends who are familiar to those people who take no interest in boxing.

As a Detroiter, it feels wrong to not include Joe Louis. :P

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I think each sport needs a titanic figure for pop culture until another figure (in a way) replaces them. We haven't had another Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods, but tennis has a pretty high turnover rate.

I think the level of success is part of it but also how enmeshed with other culture they become. Michael Jordon and Tiger Woods did a million product placements. Mike Tyson had a super popular NES game and bit Holyfields ear. In comparison, I have no idea what Roger Federer has ever endorsed or what body parts he has nommed on mid match.

Manny Pacquiao is like Michael Jordan to his people, btw. Just not to Americans.

The only changes I would make to your list is I think Mark McGwire should go in Jeter's spot just because of the whole steroids scandal and his breaking the record. I think the average person would know his name more then Jeter (though Jeter is very popular). Also you'll want to add Michael Phelps as our quintessential Olympic athlete. Vick may be more notorious/known than Favre these days.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    You should really replace Tyson with Ali. Unless you're going for more recent times, in which there is a case to be made for Money Mayweather.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    DoctorArch wrote:

As a Detroiter, it feels wrong to not include Joe Louis. :P

Or Lennox Lewis, considering he dropped both Holyfield and Tyson.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I think Chu wants to know what sports figures non-sports followers know the best.

Ali > Tyson in that case. He is boxing.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Sports memes that grab even the non-sports people, huh? I just bought All-Star Pro Football from Gamestop yesterday for $1. This is an XBOX 360 football game where all the legends of the sport, the best of the best, are selectable and can be mixed and matched in any way you see fit. Despite having a huge stable of well-known Hall of Famers, the game sold poorly. This makes me think that even though you're a household name, it doesn't mean the average Joe cares about you ... that's kind of bizarre if you think about it.

• Options
    You guys are thinking about this like sports enthusiasts which doesn't seem to be what Chu wants.

• Options
    Chanus,

I feel bad that I didn't even remember Joe Louis until you mentioned him, legend that he is. Sugar Ray Leonard gets a mention because his name is unique, but the first three are truly "household names," while admittedly, Foreman's name is probably more because he successfully marketed an electric grill that sucks up more electricity than my custom-built PC that it is for his boxing prowess.

• Options
    You guys are thinking about this like sports enthusiasts which doesn't seem to be what Chu wants.

It's difficult to unknow what you know.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Lewis never reached mainstream popularity in the USA. At least not in the casual sense.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    For the US and hockey, you might want to look at Chris Chelios (best American NHL player ever) or Crosby/Ovechkin (household names playing right now.)

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Tyson is really famous because he bit off a guys ear and such though. I don't watch boxing and I know who he is.
    Edit: I don't think any hockey player besides Gretzky is a household name to people who don't watch hockey.

Neaden on
  • Options
    Arivia wrote:
    For the US and hockey, you might want to look at Chris Chelios (best American NHL player ever) or Crosby/Ovechkin (household names playing right now.)

While I agree with you re: Chelios... I don't know many non-hockey fans who would know who he is.

• Options
    The key here is their ties to outside culture. So Foreman could conceivably get on this list but not Joe Louis. Sorry, guys, but he's just not known in the same way Ali or Tyson are.

Jackie Robinson & Babe Ruth, chu.

• Options
    I wonder if Kobe Bryant ever sits awake at night with the knowledge that regardless of how good he is, he will never be loved like Michael Jordan.

• Options
    Neaden wrote:
    Tyson is really famous because he bit off a guys ear and such though. I don't watch boxing and I know who he is.

He's also famous for being the biggest sensation in boxing in the 80s... the ear-biting thing came after he was fairly washed-up.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Well hello there, I am a non-fan. Nothing against MMA, I just haven't really bothered to sit down and watch more than a few fights.

I have a few friends who are MMA fans, and I wouldn't known who CL is (possibly named him) and, say, Gracie, but that's stretching it.

Of the other 8 people on your list, I recognized 6 off hand, Favre took a moment to register, and I have no idea who Derek Jeter is.

Off hand, I'd possibly throw someone like Kobe Bryant on there, unless you're trying to stick strictly to people who are famous/infamous for their athletic performance.

As someone who doesn't really watch any sports, I'll get names that I become aware of based on random conversations around me, tvs on in bars, etc.

Edit: woah, this thread is moving. And I have no idea how I messed those two up.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Arivia wrote:

totally missing the entire point of Chu's question! Yay!

# of people who know who Crosby/Ovechkin: 7.

• Options
    Chanus wrote:
    Neaden wrote:

He's also famous for being the biggest sensation in boxing in the 80s... the ear-biting thing came after he was fairly washed-up.

Don't forget the rape.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote:
    Edit: I don't think any hockey player besides Gretzky is a household name to people who don't watch hockey.

Maybe Mario Lemieux. Or Gordie Howe, famous enough to be in a Simpsons episode.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    It's also interesting how some sports have figures that become extremely well-known even though very few are interested in the sport. I mean, I don't think there are many PAers who are into NASCAR but most of them have heard of people like Jeff Gordon or Dale Earnhardt Jr.

This may be a misconception on my part being in the south where even though I don't know anyone with any interest in the sport it's drivers endorse EVERYTHING.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Oh god, how did we forget OJ Simpson.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    You don't think Peyton Manning has more name recognition than Favre?

Edit: Dale Earnhardt Jr ought to go on that list, yes. I don't watch NASCAR or any racing really, but I know the name.

spool32 on
  • Options
    I wonder how much age plays into this as well. My childhood heroes color the choices I would make for a list like this, but my childhood is 20-25 years ago and not terribly relevant to today's fan... especially someone not really into sports today.

• Options
    Yeah I mean, an argument could be made for George Foreman but I bet there are a ton of people who think the boxer and salesman are different people. It's a very arbitrary and unsure thing.

I think there are definitely multiple possible answers for each spot on the list, but I'm just trying to shakily consider

1) how many people know about them, today
    2) how many things about that athlete the average person could associate with them

I mean, technically OJ would probably be bigger than Favre... but his biggest claim to fame doesn't really seem congruent with what I was thinking about ending up with.

But yes overall I guess Ali could probably sub for Tyson.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I would think Muhammed Ali would get the spot for boxing. Tyson is known for being a freakshow, not a boxer.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    Dan Marino of Ace Ventura fame.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    As an American, I can't name any famous rugby players. I even watched the movie Invictus recently and I still can't name any players. Chester something?

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    Arivia wrote:

While I agree with you re: Chelios... I don't know many non-hockey fans who would know who he is.

Agree on Chelios. Ovechkin is the only person I can think would really qualify since I've seen him in those stupid Verizon Ovechtrick commercials.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    I would think Muhammed Ali would get the spot for boxing. Tyson is known for being a freakshow, not a boxer.

These days... There was a time he was known for being a boxer... like when he was a boxer.

• Options
    Well, I guess there are no hard and fast rules. It's a big cocktail of

-modernity
    -how much they're on television
    -how good they were at their sport
    -whether they're still alive
    -whether they're still playing
    -whether they were well liked
    -whether they have any products (Foreman Grill, Air Jordans, Tigers' face on Gatorade, etc)

There's definitely no right or wrong answer, though I think the one definite is that Michael Jordan is either at or very near to the top of the list.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    My list of the most "recognized" sports figures:
    1. Michael Jordan
    2. Tiger Woods
    3. Muhammad Ali
    4. Wayne Gretsky
    5/6. Jackie Robinson or Babe Ruth
    7. David Beckham
    8. Mike Tyson
    9. Williams sisters
    10. Joe Montana! Wildcard!

I went with past and present figures based on name recognition. #10 is kind of a joke. It should really be Dale Earnheardt Jr. I almost put Dan Marino.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Jordan on top, absolutely. Tiger Woods as well, or perhaps Arnold Palmer. Probably Tiger.

• Options
    Organichu wrote:
    Well, I guess there are no hard and fast rules. It's a big cocktail of

-modernity
    -how much they're on television
    -how good they were at their sport
    -whether they're still alive
    -whether they're still playing
    -whether they were well liked
    -whether they have any products (Foreman Grill, Air Jordans, Tigers' face on Gatorade, etc)

There's definitely no right or wrong answer, though I think the one definite is that Michael Jordan is either at or very near to the top of the list.

I don't see how anyone could dispute Jordan, no.

Except maybe with Kobe... being that he's sort of this generation's Jordan.