As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLEFIELD 3] Open Beta out now

ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Games and Technology
BETA STUFF

Download Origin, go into the free games tab and download the beta!

Then, to play with your fellow PENNY ARCADERS, apply to these platoons (via the game browser interface);

PC US Platoon = 101st Arcadians (If this happens to be full, look for 102nd Arcadians)

PC EU Platoon = Penny Arcade EU

360 Platoon = 82nd Arcadians
Meta tag is PA BF3.

Changing your FOV:

Go into Documents - > Battlefield 3 Open Beeta -> Settings -> PROF_SAVE_body. Open this file with a hex editor (like Notepad). Find the line "FieldOfView" and change it from the standard 70 to whatever you like (I recommend 90)

battlefield3.jpg

Battlefield 3 is a first-person shooter video game, being developed by the Swedish company Digital Illusions CE and to be published by Electronic Arts. It is to be released on November 2, 2011 for Mirosoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Contrary to its name, it is the twelfth installment in the Battlefield franchise, and the real sequel to Battlefield 2, released in 2005.

What separates it from the numerous other "realistic" shooters out there? Well, first and perhaps most importantly: You get to use a lot of ARMOR! Tanks, APC's, Humvees, jets and helicopters are all at your disposal as well as the full range of infantry combat. This game also boasts destructible environments and enormous 64 player multiplayer maps (24 on consoles). The scope of gameplay is huge here and if it lives up to Battlefield: 1942 and Battlefield 2, it will deliver a ton of fun and the best multiplayer shootin' experience around.

The feedback has been very positive from our own Alpha testers in this thread. (*)

http://www.ea.com/battlefield3

PICTURES!

ke9j0n.jpg2rg1gt1.jpg23rx0fc.jpgohlpol.jpgawdu1u.jpgt87vaf.jpg2870ifn.jpg2z8rbwx.jpg
a0ofTl.jpg 1zfOkl.jpgYNCe1l.jpg 9FwDql.jpg
Jm2Shl.jpgicAUAl.jpg
A8aX8l.jpgEXo2wl.jpg
QIWJvl.jpg

Gameplay Trailers!

(There are also a bunch of leaked alpha trailers on the internets, if you care to search for such things)

It looks really great. It took 6 years but we finally have a proper sequel to Battlefield 2 and it happens to look amazing. The graphics and animation are all a step above any competition and the shooty bits look fun as hell. Can't wait!

t5qfc9.jpg
Zzulu on

• Options
    ConnorConnor Registered User regular
    Ahhh new thread.

XBL/PSN/ORIGIN/STEAM: LowKeyedUp
    2dd40bd72f597f21.png
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    I'm hoping they buff semi auto shotties. The 870 fires just as fast, and with more damage to boot.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    time to violate this new thread smell with my rancid presence

• Options
    I'm hoping they buff semi auto shotties. The 870 fires just as fast, and with more damage to boot.

Maybe they should nerf the 870?! :trollface::

2dd40bd72f597f21.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    there are other shotguns besides the 870?

• Options
    Man that gun with the tridium irons and war tapes on is just fucking heaven in the tunnels.

2dd40bd72f597f21.png
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    there are other shotguns besides the 870?

The M1014, Saiga 12, DAO12, and USAS12.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    NEW THREAD SMELL. MMMMMMMMmmmm

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    LoM2LoM2 Registered User regular
    {From WitchDR from previous thread:
    anyone else running into issues on the PC where they are falling through the ground? It seems like it started when i downloaded the recomended drivers.}

It's a common problem that DICE has supposedly fixed in the release version. In the mean time they're going to disable terrain destruction to "Fix" it. In any case, it's not your drivers; DICE is the culprit.

sigfinalfinalcopy.jpg
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    LoM2 wrote:
    anyone else running into issues on the PC where they are falling through the ground? It seems like it started when i downloaded the recomended drivers.}

It's a common problem that DICE has supposedly fixed in the release version. In the mean time they're going to disable terrain destruction to "Fix" it. In any case, it's not your drivers; DICE is the culprit.

Thanks LoM, it had started after i updated my drivers so my first thought was that updating was the cause.

It's annoying when this happens because I spend more time trying to climb out of the ground then fighting, because i refuse to get a cheap glitch kill from under the map.

"Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Just got my first triple kill. And you get 20 points for blowing up a mobile spawn point. A grenade will do the trick.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Witchdr wrote:
    LoM2 wrote:

Thanks LoM, it had started after i updated my drivers so my first thought was that updating was the cause.

It's annoying when this happens because I spend more time trying to climb out of the ground then fighting, because i refuse to get a cheap glitch kill from under the map.

Yea no kidding. I can deal with the screen tearing and sound errors...this falling through the ground bug though annoys me more than anything.

LoM2 on
    sigfinalfinalcopy.jpg
  • Options
    LoM2 wrote:
    Witchdr wrote:
    LoM2 wrote:

Yea no kidding. I can deal with the screen tearing and sound errors...this falling through the ground bug though annoys me more than anything.

Losing thousands of points is a bigger deal. Once they fix the DC issues, we'll be set.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    metro doesnt seem like such a great map to show this game off.

• Options
    LoM2 wrote:
    Witchdr wrote:
    LoM2 wrote:

Losing thousands of points is a bigger deal. Once they fix the DC issues, we'll be set.

As always you are correct. DCs costing me thousands are my biggest beef.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Battlelog says it's having problems processing passwords with special characters such as those found on your number keys.

I ain't changin' my password. Fix it before I get home from work!

• Options
    Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    So, they stated that the patching of the servers was 9/30 at like 1am PST, I've been playing games since 2am PST and was still falling through everything. Wonder if it is a rolling update or something. Anyone play some games yet where you don't dwarf it up near mcom A?

• Options
    mojojoeo wrote:
    LoM2 wrote:
    Witchdr wrote:
    LoM2 wrote:

As always you are correct. DCs costing me thousands are my biggest beef.

Meh, I'm not too concerned about that now, since I'll have to redo all of this over again anyways. If that bugs survives launch though we're going to have words DICE. -_-

sigfinalfinalcopy.jpg
  • Options
    Well they have essentially stated the build is a few months old. And the patch notes state some of these fixes are fixed differently and/or were already patched out.

We should all hug. Its going to be angry dome time soon. Feel that warmth? Its the Arcadians. killing each other mercilessly while having a blast.

• Options
    Playing on the Angry Dome makes me a better player. Actually being challenged makes me feel like a god against ants on pub servers.

• Options
    Playing on the Angry Dome makes me a better player. Actually being challenged makes me feel like a god against ants on pub servers.

I said this in vent just last night! Me vs pubbies - "POWER UNLIMIUTEDDDDDDDD!!!!" Me vs PA gun buddies - "Hey! I finally made it to the middle of the pack!"

• Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote:
    Battlelog says it's having problems processing passwords with special characters such as those found on your number keys.

Change yer fuckin' password. DICE already said this build can't deal with wack characters such as the culprit in your ghetto ass password. Use letters and numbers for crying out loud.

• Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    So the 101st Arcadians is specifically for the Americas? I don't mind leaving if thats the case because I'm a fan of the platoon and in Penny Arcade EU. Unless of course the 102nd is actually going to start up properly?

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    The M320 DART is hilarious. It's also really damn effective.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Warcry wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:

Change yer fuckin' password. DICE already said this build can't deal with wack characters such as the culprit in your ghetto ass password. Use letters and numbers for crying out loud.

Hail naw, I ain't compromising my soldier Facebook by having a weak password without special characters! What if somebody logs in and hooahs the wrong thing?

• Options
    Sarksus wrote:
    Warcry wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:

Hail naw, I ain't compromising my soldier Facebook by having a weak password without special characters! What if somebody logs in and hooahs the wrong thing?

Made me actually laugh.

SUPPORT
    Average
    Best

Who the fuck got over 200k points?

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    They got rid of Caspian :(

also flashlights do not work like that

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    I am still super pissed that this beta won't work at all. And I've tried everything.

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options

What was the big surprise for the PC players? Was it the patch?

Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    580 installed.
    All Ultra, max settings: never drops below 45fps ever. Runs at 60 80% of the time. OH YEAH.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    102nd Arcadians for the OP. Corrigan made it yesterday, I think.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/#!/bf3/platoon/2826550451875347513/

Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote:

It's not, and I'm saying this as one of the guys who actually really likes the map. But it's not representative of what they've been marketing the game as. Namely, there are no god damn vehicles in the map. Caspian Border should have been on the regular rotation on the beta and not a passworded, secluded item on special servers

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular

also flashlights do not work like that

What!?

That was my one hope for the beta... :(

• Options
    Zzulu wrote:
    Ah_Pook wrote:

It's not, and I'm saying this as one of the guys who actually really likes the map. But it's not representative of what they've been marketing the game as. Namely, there are no god damn vehicles in the map. Caspian Border should have been on the regular rotation on the beta and not a passworded, secluded item on special servers

I agree with Zzulu. It feels like they chose metro because it is COD ish? Like to entice COD types? That make sense?

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I have lost some 10,000 xp to server crashes over the last few days. Shit sucks.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular

SUPPORT
    Average
    Best

They call him Shiashi
    He's a cheater!

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    mojojoeo wrote:
    Zzulu wrote:
    Ah_Pook wrote:

I agree with Zzulu. It feels like they chose metro because it is COD ish? Like to entice COD types? That make sense?

I don't like this strategy...seems to me you're not going to win COD players with COD style games. Wouldn't you want to show off your bread and butter so that they can see WHY to come to BF? If that's really why they released metro instead of Caspian (I have a feeling that's a large part) then that's extremely shady. /wagfinger @DICE

sigfinalfinalcopy.jpg
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote:
    That make sense?

Not really, no.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Mechanical wrote:
    mojojoeo wrote:
    That make sense?

Not really, no.

Its not conquest, its not vehicles. its tight spaces. Most BF maps are not like it? But i am prolly wrong.
    Turambar wrote:

SUPPORT
    Average
    Best

They call him Shiashi
    He's a cheater!

God damn right he is. I was in his squad and all the pubbies on the other team told me so over and over.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Yea so I like metro but I exhausted it in Alpha, no caspian no play. there was 4 gigs wasted