As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do I need to install BIOS updates?

NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
Dell recommends installing BIOS updates whenever they release them. That said, the last time I updated my laptop's BIOS, it was a dual boot Windows 7/Linux Mint machine. The BIOS update messed something up with my boot sector, to the point where GRUB didn't work and I had to do a fresh format/reinstall of Windows. My laptop is currently pure Windows 7.

So, the reason why I'm asking is that I'm tempted to turn my laptop into a dual boot Windows/linux machine again so I can do all of my web development on one machine. I don't have linux installed anywhere at the moment, and it's pretty ghetto doing PHP work by uploading files to a shared host for testing. I'm just afraid that another BIOS update will force me to rebuild my laptop again.

Thoughts?

Nightslyr on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Nope, don't update your BIOS unless it fixes something that you need fixed or has some other change that you want to make.