As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Only on PSN - God Hand, odin sphere and MORE coming october 4, new PSN program

AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Games and Technology
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sony-pushes-psn-exclusives-with-only-on-psn-program/
Sony is continuing to take the initiative to bolster its PlayStation Network following the disastrous hack earlier this year. Not only did Sony add another $20 million this summer to a Pub Fund it started a couple years ago, but today the company announced a new "Only On PlayStation Network" program to stress its flow of exclusive gaming content.

Starting on October 4, every Tuesday in the month will see several new exclusives on PSN, including Pub Fund titles like Eufloria and Okabu, as well as inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood and PixelJunk Sidescroller. And the program will also feature a selection of "rare classic games" added to the store on October 4, including God Hand, GrimGrimoire, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, Odin Sphere and Ring of Red.

Consumers who are PlayStation Plus subscribers will receive a 20% discount during the launch week of each “Only On PSN” game. On top of that, if you spend $60 or more out of your PlayStation Network/Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) Wallet throughout the month of October, you'll be able to receive a $10 store credit towards purchases in November. This promotion isn't limited to just games - spending can be on add-ons, PlayStation Home micro-transactions, TV shows, movies, Music Unlimited subscriptions, etc.

So the greatest brawler ever created is coming to PSN, and this seems to show that PS2 games are starting to be sold on PSN.

FUCK YEAH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAga2AjfZlg

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
Antihippy on

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I'd really like to know what these are. Full ports with additions (full trophy list, AA, etc.) or what? Surely not PS2 emulation, right? The RSX just isn't good enough to emulate the PS2.

Either way, I'm pretty happy. My PS3 just broke and Sony's replacing it with a new Slim, so no more PS2 BC for me. Between the PS3 and Vita (with its PSP BC), I should have most of the PS2 games I care about.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Here's hoping they don't charge an exorbitant price for it. My PS2 copy is right next to my PS2 in storage so the price will need to be low enough for me not to give a fuck

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I will be purchasing a copy of God Hand, Odin Sphere, and Grim Grimoire.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I will be buying some of those games, since I never had the chance before.

Of course, I can't use a gameshark to beat God Hand this time around.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Wait, is something changing that'll let me play ps2 games on my slim or do you still need a fat for that?

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I... god damn it. You know, if they hadn't stripped BC out of their console, I would actually be excited about this. Is it is, I just feel like they want to force me to buy all of my games twice if I want to play them on the PS3.

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    I'm also interested in knowing how they're doing this. Surely it can't be a purely software emulator.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Wow...Maximo. And Odin's Sphere! I wanted to try those two back in the day...

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Beezel wrote:
    Wait, is something changing that'll let me play ps2 games on my slim or do you still need a fat for that?

They've said nothing about an emulator, so no. All we know is that these games are coming to the PSN. Chances are, these will have to be adjusted at least a bit (a la Monster Hunter Portable 3 HD).

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Maybe IGN will re review God Hand!

Curious how theyre doing this. Also I guess this is what that cryptic ad was about?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    DAT VANILLAWARE!

I want Grim Grimoire, which I never played. I call the main character Marisa, because that's who she is and I will accept nothing else.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    The prices according to Destructoid:
    October's Only on PlayStation Network promotion will bring a month's worth of great new exclusive games to gamers, but it will also dig up some rare PlayStation classics. If you're like me, you'll be all over some of these older exclusives, many of which you'll remember from the PS2 days.

Confirmed titles:
    God Hand
    GrimGrimoire
    Maximo: Ghosts to Glory
    Odin Sphere
    Ring of Red

God Hand! I love that crazy game!

These titles will appear on the PlayStation Store throughout the Only On PlayStation Network promotion, beginning October 4. All titles will be priced at $9.99 -- not a bad deal when you consider that some of the originals can be $50 or more on eBay.

While I'm pleased with the promised offerings so far, this list of games only has me thinking of other classic titles to be added to the offerings. I asked Susan Panico, senior director of PlayStation Network, if we could expect more releases of these classics after this promotion period. She confirmed that more are coming, adding that they are wanting to focus on releasing critically acclaimed titles that were exclusive to PlayStation. Great news, as there's a lot more where these came from.

What other titles should we be expecting?
    http://www.destructoid.com/psn-promo-brings-back-classics-god-hand-odin-sphere-212813.phtml

Nice price but sadly, it sounds like they aren't putting much work into them, so no trophies, AA or anything. Better than nothing I guess.

• Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    I remember Ring of Red. That game was great.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Wait what? God Hand is coming to PSN tomorrow?!

HOLY SHIT

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Wait, so is this the thing that is happening on October 5th too? With that ad with the bar?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Sorry my European and Australian brothers and sisters. It looks like right now this is America only.

• Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    FUCK. YES.

That is all.

• Options
    I can just imagine what Rab is doing upon finding out his region isn't getting this.

Probably punching people.

• Options
    PasteePastee Registered User regular
    I never got to play Godhand, so I'm pretty excited for this. Guess I better finish Resident Evil 4 by tomorrow.

• Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Someone called 'awwyeahgurrl' on Neogaf who seems to work for, or knows someone at Sony says this:
    About time they announced this. So sony have been working on this for a while now, they just finished with their QA testing in Liverpool 2 weeks ago. Here's basically what I know:

- No remastering, just smoothing/screen size options like PS1 emulation.
    - Not all games are supported, shadow of memories & Hitman 2 are examples of games that just didn't work and they don't plan to try and get them to work. They also seem to be covering a huge list of games even fairly unknown games like The Seed: warzone.
    - No button remapping options, like PS1 emulation, for now.
    - No trophies or anything along those lines.

Apart from that everything should be what people are expecting. There doesn't seem to be any bells and whistles on it, it's straight up PS2 emulation.

So not HD. I'm less enthused now as I own the discs of the games that I want from the list. Having it all ready on a hard drive without wear and tear on the laser/disc is nice, but not really worth the price it will cost.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    isn't chrono trigger coming out too?

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Oh sweet jesus, God Hand on PSN? I will forever treasure my copy of the PS2 version, but I will probably buy it again as soon as it hits the shelves. I have and will continue to put time into that game that's easily worth buying it a couple times over.

While it doesn't sound like anything new is being added, just the ability to have flying punches, kicks, and ball busters on the same console as everything else is worth it to me. I'll have to look into the other games as well.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Now, this is just PS3 PSN, right? Not a PS3/PSP PSN release in the manner of the PS1 games?

(I don't think the PSP would be capable of PS2 emulation, but hey.)

Edit: nevermind, read the link. Ah well.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    God Hand? LAME.

Maximo? Shit fuck yes

• Options
    Unco, where are you hearing that there won't be Trophies? Just because they're not saying it?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    I re-bought god hand new but never wanted to open it cause of the resale value. This solves my problem, time to sell and rebuy digitally.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I wonder if Odin Sphere will run any better now.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Interesting.... *strokes imaginary beard*

Gimme a white PS3, Sony, and you just might have yourself a customer.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:

"Perhaps most interesting is that for the first time outside of HD collections, PlayStation 2 titles will be available on the PlayStation Network. This Tuesday -- October 4th -- will see God Hand, GrimGrimoire, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, Odin Sphere and Ring of Red arrive on the PSN. These won't pack PSN Trophies or enhanced visuals. These are the games as they appeared on the PS2. "

So I'm guessing...no. After all, PS1 games don't have improved performance.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Yeah, this sounds exactly the same as the PS1 classics they release, with the 1 replaced by a 2. I'd expect the same treatment, and nothing more.

Well, if they're dipping into the "rare classic games" sub-market, I hope Soul Nomad finds its way on there. It's one of the few NIS games I never did get to play, and the only one that hasn't gotten some sort of remake/rerelease. Always wanted to try it, since apparently the story is crazy or something.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Not to be a Smarmosaur, but I called this like two years ago.

Really.

Okay, self-back-patting aside, I am very happy. Very very very very very happy. Not only because this is happening, but because of the lineup of games that are coming out. Odin Sphere? Holy shit, yes. I have high hopes for this program.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:

"Perhaps most interesting is that for the first time outside of HD collections, PlayStation 2 titles will be available on the PlayStation Network. This Tuesday -- October 4th -- will see God Hand, GrimGrimoire, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, Odin Sphere and Ring of Red arrive on the PSN. These won't pack PSN Trophies or enhanced visuals. These are the games as they appeared on the PS2. "

So I'm guessing...no. After all, PS1 games don't have improved performance.

I agree that they will probably NOT have any upscaling, but PS2 games running on a PS3 (I have an original 60 gig model) do actually have some kind of upscaling thingamabob for PS2 games.

But I doubt that feature will exist for these games.

Does this mean a new firmware update?

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Let me just put this here: God Hand Thread

And this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBqB5LUKh8A

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I was already thinking about trying to play God Hand again. I think this will put me over the edge. Time to dig up my PS2 disc.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    IMG_20111003_121429.jpg

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    i STILL have not finished ring of red
    damn

pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    I was hoping they'd have bumped them up to 720p, but if not, I'll just stick with my BC PS3 and my copy of God Hand

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I can't actually explain how I can justify buying PC games on Steam that I already own just to not bring out the disks, yet my knee jerk reaction to spending $10 on another copy of God Hand just to avoid setting up the PS2 was that it is a ridiculous notion.

Oh well, hypocrisy found. I'll more than likely grab Odin Sphere, and if they did something crazy like let these be compatible with the Vita the way PSone Classics are compatible with the PSP I would just have to start throwing money at all of them.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    SightTDW wrote:
    I can't actually explain how I can justify buying PC games on Steam that I already own just to not bring out the disks, yet my knee jerk reaction to spending $10 on another copy of God Hand just to avoid setting up the PS2 was that it is a ridiculous notion.

Oh well, hypocrisy found. I'll more than likely grab Odin Sphere, and if they did something crazy like let these be compatible with the Vita the way PSone Classics are compatible with the PSP I would just have to start throwing money at all of them.

I would be very surprised if these were not compatible with VITA. Maybe not at launch, but eventually I am sure they will be.