As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Apple Cards

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    the preference for "real" cameras over iphones is something that seems inherently justified to us and will seem like a needless, stodgy and nonsensical distinction in the future

not until we dramatically alter the properties of how photons interact with matter

are you fakeposter

nah

You actually need a decent size photosensitive sensor, and a decent-sized lens, to take in enough light for the kind of detail you get from DSLR cameras. There's not much you can do to change this, even with backlighting the iphone's CCD sensor or adding more tiny lens elements.

• Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Rolo wrote:
    Rolo wrote:
    the preference for "real" cameras over iphones is something that seems inherently justified to us and will seem like a needless, stodgy and nonsensical distinction in the future

not until we dramatically alter the properties of how photons interact with matter

are you fakeposter

nah

You actually need a decent size photosensitive sensor, and a decent-sized lens, to take in enough light for the kind of detail you get from DSLR cameras. There's not much you can do to change this, even with backlighting the iphone's CCD sensor or adding more tiny lens elements.

that doesn't matter at all, at all

it's not that iphones will eclipse dslr at doing what dslrs do, it's that the standards which we use to ascertain the value of a photo will shift to benefit those who use iphone cameras

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Oh man, siriously?

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Oh man, siriously?

what have you done

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Oh man, siriously?

ahahahaha :^:

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Siri seems like a neat feature no one will use because talking to a device that's in your hand already instead of just pushing a button is for crazy people.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Lawinator you ask TOO MUCH

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    3 of the 4 livestreams I am using just crashed

• Options
    uh excuse me larlar it is clearly the iphone 4s and apple's lawyers will be having a word with you momentarily

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    maybe the iphone 5 is so powerful it can take down the internet

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Siri seems like a neat feature no one will use because talking to a device that's in your hand already instead of just pushing a button is for crazy people.

it should be awesome for driving. No more almost dying trying to put in an address, or sending a text.

Also, this is basically the coolest thing ever for blind people

• Options
    Time to notify my first-born the bad news

(for him)

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ronzo wrote:

it should be awesome for driving. No more almost dying trying to put in an address, or sending a text.

Also, this is basically the coolest thing ever for blind people

Yeah, you're right, for cars this would be pretty amazing. Texting though would depend on how good the dictation software is.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Apple wrote:
    Scott's creating a reminder "Remind me to call my wife when I leave work." Siri asks to confirm and makes the reminder. Siri already knew who his wife is and set up a geofence around work.

This is pretty neat

ronzo on
  • Options
    Siri is a bit self-defeating. It'd be nice for when I quickly need to do something, but when I'm in a hurry I'll probably speak too fast for it to understand what I want.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rolo wrote:
    Rolo wrote:

are you fakeposter

nah

it's not that iphones will eclipse dslr at doing what dslrs do, it's that the standards which we use to ascertain the value of a photo will shift to benefit those who use iphone cameras

I don't think you can really divorce subject matter from production quality in photography, as least not entirely.

And the people with the DSLRs are going to be the ones who are most invested in both, anyway.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Beasteh wrote:

I love this

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Siri is a bit self-defeating. It'd be nice for when I quickly need to do something, but when I'm in a hurry I'll probably speak too fast for it to understand what I want.

you'd be surprised

back when it was an independent app it was pretty fucking awesome

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    I would love if that's actually what happened

quick bullet point of new features, no pointless statistic-fudging graphs that assume your audience is incapable of logic, less self-wankery

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    So no new iPod touch just a new color?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Siri search [tiny]big black boners 7[/tiny] and download to my icloud please

• Options
    Well Larlar, I talk really fast to the point where people don't understand me except my family. Like, I've had situations where my brother is like C-3PO translating my beeps.

It looks cool, but what is the cost?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    oh god the tags don't work anymore

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    it's weird that they wouldn't even TRY to label the y-axis there

I mean, for all we know, the y-axis could be "registered users on flickr that own iphones"

Keynote just sucks that bad.

• Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Well Larlar, I talk really fast to the point where people don't understand me except my family. Like, I've had situations where my brother is like C-3PO translating my beeps.

well you could always learn to talk coherently

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i cant get tinytext to work either

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I'm gonna stick with Android

I just don't like iOS

• Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:

well you could always learn to talk coherently
    But that's hard.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    so let's see if there's some super special surprise announcement

or if this is it

• Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    haven't been paying attention to any streams, just popping in here and on twitter every few minutes.

Is siri basically apple's version of the computer from Star Trek TNG?

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Siri seems the biggest reason to get an iphone 4S, at least from what I've seen so far. Dictation for texts on the road would be really rad.

• Options
    The Siri tech is pretty wild in that it follows along with what you say. You might ask it to make an appointment for you, and if you have something scheduled, it will tell you and ask if you want to move it.

Again, very neat.

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular

Just like they did for Polaroids?

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Rolo wrote:
    so let's see if there's some super special surprise announcement

or if this is it
    Basically just waiting on price/capacity/carriers now. And when its available

edit: $400 64GB iPhone
    edit2: 3gs free on contract, 4 is $100

ronzo on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    incremental releases make me sad

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Whoa 3GS is free with contract?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Black and white versions 16GB: $199, 32GB for $299, 64GB for $399.

• Options
    16 GB for 199$ seems the best deal so far. 100 bucks more for all the new 4S features and double the space.

• Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular

Just like they did for Polaroids?

just like what did